Author Topic: The Arashi League  (Read 27411 times)

Offline Gato Blanco

• Salutes: 8
    • View Profile
Re: The Arashi League
« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2013, 01:14:01 pm »
Airship captains get killed three days before retirement.  Always. xD

All this talk of duality brought this quesiton to mind (Duno how....):  About 1/3 of the cities are by the sea, 1/3 are by an inland body of water, and 1/3 of the cities are not located near any large bodies of water.  Does this cause a schism between the cities in different biomes?

Furthermore, the capital, Alleron, seems to be located outside the boudaries of the League in this map

https://s3.amazonaws.com/ksr/assets/000/458/573/edfac92683c239d47a3115f047f8e325_large.jpg?1363806197

Furthermore, its also quite isolated from the majority of league lands, atypical of a capital city

Offline Clara Skyborn

• Salutes: 48
    • [LFP]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2013, 02:31:48 pm »
That map is a lie. We probably shouldn't have published it. But oh well!

Offline Gato Blanco

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2013, 07:26:09 pm »
UR MAPS LIE!

Furthermore, I noticed I said "Furthermore" twice in a row, it was late, I was tired.

Offline Lord Dick Tim

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 119
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2013, 12:43:34 am »
I kinda figured the sunshine bridge would be the conflict point.  Its why I centered my speculative second opening for Desert Asp at that point.

Tim, I've just had an interesting conversation with Gomidog, our resident Japanese translator. I was translating Hikagebashi as "Shadow Bridge," so I was surprised to hear you referring to it as "Sunshine Bridge." She clarified that it's more literally "Sun-Shadow Bridge," as in "shade from the sun," so there's definitely a bit of dark/light duality there. Veeery interesting.

This also led to the possible alternative translation "Shady Bridge," which we agreed sounds like a retirement home for old airship captains.
My wife said it was most likely "Shaded from the sun bridge" as a direct translation and I ignored her and said "Sunshine bridge is plainly what she did not intend, so thats what I'm calling it."
Japanese is FUN!  It also plays into how Japan came out of Nipon, just bad, bad localization.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2013, 12:45:27 am by Lord Dick Tim »

Offline Lord Dick Tim

• CA Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 26, 2013, 01:38:42 am »
So I loved the recent Arashi league post by muse, really opens the Arashi to have tons of different small cultures and traditions living beside one another.

What do people think some of the larger cultural groups might be?

Offline Gato Blanco

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 26, 2013, 02:26:26 am »
Gonna have to be nautical cultures.  Places like Nice and Venice, places near the water would have to worry less about survival and set their minds to things like art and abstract development.

Offline GreyTea

• Muse Games
  • Salutes: 54
    • [Muse]
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 18, 2014, 12:51:20 am »
The League are by far the most appealing to me, in my mind at least i want to play as part of an elite assassin sub culture with the squid as my deadliest weapon using the tools and terrain to strike fear in to the guild convoys to scavenge for the supply's my family and friends need,

imagine the setting you roll out on the setting of dusk, Your crew is prepped and fully prepared to come back with the spoils of a raid or not at all, you are part of a team of 16 4 squids 4 people per squid,the sand parts as you fire up the engines and balloon's and slowly ascend into the the newly dark skies.You have  4 directions to scavenge your domain of the desert, what will you find, Ancient Ruins of the lost world..a fresh convoy ripe for the picking, to survive in this desert the rules go by the wastes in which you live and primal base instinct takes over, You need quick reactions sharp eyes and killer instinct, to have all these qualities is to be part of the deadly side of the league, the Arashi assassins

so excited for adventure mode

Offline Lord Dick Tim

• CA Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 26, 2014, 06:22:15 am »
Love that view of the Arashi from a new perspective!  Our reasons are the same for choosing them, there just appears to be a great diversity born out of need and struggle.

Offline Mod Josie

• Muse
  • Salutes: 130
    • [Cake]
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 26, 2014, 06:51:11 am »
I can imagine there are going to be a lot of reasons to join any faction. Muse is painting such a rich world for us to explore and I can't wait to wander the canvas once they're ready to showcase it to us. I'm sure that every different faction will have a lot of great qualities drawing people to it.

I don't know how I'm going to decide which to affiliate with!

Offline Skrimskraw

• Salutes: 160
    • [GwTh]
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 26, 2014, 07:46:46 am »
tribes will wed themselves to eachother or raid eachother for more influence and to secure their power.

Im thinking a lot of old mamaluk kinda way of living and ruling tribes, through culture and a monotheistic religion.
people outside the tribes are kinda like barbary pirates. they plunder everything they can, making the desert a very dangerous place to travel through, as the mamaluk territory is suicide, and the wastes you have to fend against the barbary kinda raiders.

Im also thinking since their current map position has a lot of cities for a nation built around desert culture and yea desert. The arashi people send their young men to serve in the arashi military for 2-4 years. this gives the young men the right to become part of their tribe afterwards and the right to marriage.
This military serves only as protection for their cities, as their borders are often run over by outside influence, they put their faith into the dunes to scare away enemies before they reach their cities.
The arashi way of living is highly cultural and the village elders or the village leader can banish members of his tribe if they do not follow the same cultural way of life. This banishment can be a few years or life. These outcasts often join barbary pirates, or fly out into the world to get away from the indoctrinated village.

Offline Battle Toads

• Salutes: 4
    • [kTen]
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 24, 2014, 10:51:44 pm »
Since when was Arashi european. I always thought that Arashi was inspired by the Middle East.

Offline JaegerDelta

• Salutes: 16
    • [2620]
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 27, 2014, 03:49:01 pm »
Since when was Arashi european. I always thought that Arashi was inspired by the Middle East.

kickstarter bi-weekly update video 1.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZSd0Ah4CgDg&feature=youtu.be&t=3m51s

although its true the viking bit of the anglean republic was later clarified
I knew this would happen if I said Vikings...why'd I have to say Vikings? It's a pretty handy parallel for describing their political and economic situation, but not their aesthetics. They're really not barbarians, they're pretty damn organized and "civilized" (they just don't like you much!). Just try to get all those bearded Norsemen and dragon longboats out of your head, they're only confusing everyone. :)

so things could change i suppose but i do not think the western european is a shorthand for some other aspect of their culture.

Offline Tyre

• Salutes: 1
    • [Snug]
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 01, 2014, 10:40:32 pm »

As Jaeger posted, a video mentions it.

Also, if you look at the map, Arashi towns are named in mostly Western European languages.

Offline Nadrynne

• Salutes: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 11, 2014, 07:11:57 pm »
After watching the adventure mode focused dev chat today I have to say I really like the way the Arashi ships look - especially the Bonefish which basically is somewhat like a giant monstrous goldfish. It'd be nice if we could get some nice clear pictures of the Arashi ships that aren't from a video!

It has me very excited about what the other factions look like.