Author Topic: Newbie impressions, and where I would love to see this game going  (Read 14030 times)

Offline Arthem White

• Salutes: 11
    • View Profile
Hey there!

I recently discovered GOIO and, being captivated by what I saw, I got hold of a 4-pack. Together with three close friends, I'm having an absolute blast.

We used to be members of an EvE online pirate fleet. This means we are used to complex mechanics, teamwork and heart-destroying levels of adrenaline. Even though EvE required quite a bit of teamwork, there is nothing like sharing the physical space of the same airship. Somehow, it makes the communication much more intimate and interesting. What I like the most is that, and I can't really put my finger on why, it is hard to get angry at your teammates if they do something wrong. You're keeping a ship afloat, there is no need for that!

I understand that, being new, I know very little about the game, but I think I wanted to offer my opinion at this stage anyway, because sometimes the perspective of a newbie is interesting. Why? Well, things that I like or dislike of the game are the sort of things that a new player will realize first, and in order to make it a successful game, appealing to new recruits is important.

So here's what I noticed: I've been showing the game to several friends since I first knew about it. Interestingly I got extreme reactions. They either showed their patent dislike (before of after playing) or got absolutely hooked. I studied who among my friends fall in each category and this is what I got:

Dislike: The sort of players who game mostly for the entertainment value. Amusement park MMO gamers (GW2, Wow...), single player orientated gamers, with interest in narrative and slow-paced, easy going, visually stunning experiences.

Like: Competitive, study-minded players. My former EvE flight mates, MOBA gamers, players with interest in complex tactics that arise from a simple ruleset on a level playing field (chess players, Go players, MTG players)...

I am not saying that GOIO can't offer good things for both groups! I am amazed that Adventure is coming and there will be more engaging content that might draw that subset of my friends to it. However, the correlation is so strong that I couldn't help but notice it. I personally belong to the second group, and I could really feel the draw of GOIO when I realized there was such a thing as metagame, proper balance, strategies, tactics...

So, despite the fact that I'm excited for Adventure Mode, I would personally love to see GOIO evolving in the direction of an eSport. I think it does have a great potential in that regard. With some effort put into server architecture and lag issues, some work on balance, matchmaking, ELO based leagues, and more engaging game modes, I would definitely tune in to GOIO streams, read GOIO guides and put hours on training. I would also love to see more ship building options with specific niche purposes, in order to develop a very rich meta (similar to MTG in which, when a new deck is introduced, the meta may quickly change around that new strategy in order to counter it).

So I guess the conclusion is: Adventure is going to be awesome, but I would also like to see more of what keeps me hooked today: Teamwork tactical PvP fights in the sky!

Offline Kyren

• Salutes: 80
    • View Profile
Re: Newbie impressions, and where I would love to see this game going
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2013, 07:45:18 am »
I think there are some rather "easy" possibilities towards setting up some easy accessible PVP stuff. Some games work pretty well with automatic tournaments and scoreboards.

With a scoreboard, detailed in Daily/Weekly/Monthly highs, there'd be a higher level of competition here already - I'm personally not a friend of all that fancy "I always shoot down Level 1 Pilots, that's why my profile says I'm only missing 3% of my shots" stuff, but it'd definitely make the game richer. Things to appear on a scoreboard could be highest kill streak, matches won, etc.

Ideally, those could be tracked by Player AND Ship or Guild, to give some more importance to the ships and crews one flies with. Also, commendations received and given could be counted.

Offline Lord Dick Tim

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 119
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2013, 08:23:53 am »
Great post Arthem!  I'm also of the second group, and as one EvE pirate to another, Sul'Det Matar, we come for our people.

Offline WPGAMING

• Salutes: 0
    • [BGT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2013, 08:37:01 am »
Nice post mate  :D

Offline Arthem White

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2013, 08:51:24 am »
Thanks guys! :)

I also think it would go a long way for GOIO's popularity to make Skirmish mode free to play (of course keep all the cosmetic improvements in the cash shop) and charging for Adventure Mode alone.

Offline Keon

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 105
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2013, 09:46:05 am »
The thing I really want to see is EvE's scheming and plotting coming to the game, and allowing huge plans to be put into action by factions.

Offline Sgt. Spoon

• Salutes: 112
    • [Keno]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2013, 11:42:07 am »
The thing I really want to see is EvE's scheming and plotting coming to the game, and allowing huge plans to be put into action by factions.
Indeed. I'm drooling at the bare thought of setting up a merchant corporation, aaaaallgg

Oh and hello Arthem, welcome to the game :)

Offline GrimWinter

• Salutes: 2
    • [Gent]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2013, 04:02:11 pm »
Out of my friends the classification you put pretty much hit it on the spot. Most of me and my friends are LoL players so we all love the teamwork and various strategies that can be pulled off in GoI. I really hope the community continues to grow as much as it has the past couple of days thanks to TGS, it would be great to see the game expand more and possibly add in some of those things for PvP that you mentioned.

Heres to the great GoI community, the new recruits, and Muse for being such a great team of developers.

Offline Arthem White

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2013, 10:59:27 am »
Just wanted to update and said I also backed the game in Kickstarter (to the best of my budget, which is not much but hey) and promoted the game as hard as I can. 9 friends are in it now, with more coming, and I took it to my regular gaming forums too.

I'm eager to see this project grow!

Offline GrimWinter

• Salutes: 2
    • [Gent]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2013, 12:13:28 pm »
Awesome to hear :)
Its hard work convincing people to drop money on a game that is so different

Offline Arthem White

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2013, 05:17:27 am »
Indeed... I think the best way is to let them hop on your voice chat program of choice and let them hear the awesome teamwork.

I just doubled my pledge. Wanted some swag damn it! Here goes my Kickstarter budget for a while... =P

Offline Qwerty Kun

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 23
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2013, 08:26:12 am »
Hey Arthem,

Glad to hear you enjoying the game, it's allready great to have fresh people to shoot down I MEAN teach how to play :P
At the moment there are a few preliminary attempts at making GoIO more competitive and 'Esports' like.
There is the Cogs weekly showcase league, which is entering the final week of season 1.
There is the Icarus Sky tournament coming up.
I myself am also the official caster of GoIO if you were interested in seeing the streaming scene.
Varuu and Coldcurse also stream, with papaparadox making Cogs post analysis videos.

http://www.twitch.tv/qwerty2jam/old
https://gunsoficarus.com/community/forum/index.php/board,31.0.html
https://gunsoficarus.com/community/forum/index.php/topic,805.0.html

Hope to see you around :D

Cheers,

Qwerty

Offline teweedo

• Salutes: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2013, 04:04:23 pm »
Well done about the group classification, it's funny because now that you makes me think about it, it's exactly the same for me and the kind of people around me who love/dislike the game.

I also agree the game has a great potential for tournaments and whatnot however I'm fine if they focus on adventure mode for now. They're a small team and they need time to do things properly.

Offline Shukketsushi

• Salutes: 50
    • [МSF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2013, 06:02:42 pm »
Interesting post, Arthem. I've found a similar reaction when I show the game to friends; they either love it and play all the time or don't play more than a couple matches. It's been a bit of a shock that I'm as into it as I am because I don't generally like PvP, but I do like strategy and play almost exclusively co-op games.

As Qwerty said, GOIO is well on its way as far as tournaments go. We've even got real, live commentators; which is always amusing to me because they get really into it. I think that it's really awesome that so many community events are player initiatives and that the devs try to get involved in the community, too. We've got a stellar group of people around these parts.

Offline Mill Wilkinson

• Salutes: 24
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2013, 09:54:08 pm »
An interesting point of view there, I have to say I've met the same situation trying to get people to play this. The ones that like strategy and planning enjoy the idea first-hand, but the ones who play for visual, story or slow-pace experience usually shun away when I tell them (eyes gleaming) about the teeth-gritting gunning-downs or being shot to smithereens because someone in the crew failed at his given task.
Weird, however, is that I consider myself being of the latter group. o.o

Full-blown matches with good narrator/commentator pairings would be a sport even I would be willing to watch, but they really should be cut and edited from several "camera feeds" for the max effect. :)