Author Topic: Shooting down the Galleon  (Read 16072 times)

Offline LazerusKI

• Salutes: 2
    • View Profile
Shooting down the Galleon
« on: May 13, 2013, 01:04:19 am »
We have a serious problem doing this.
We use the Pyramedion with Mercury (strip Armor) and Artemis (strip Hull) on the front for long range fighting.
but everytime we manage to strip the armor, it takes them only like 2 seconds to repair it...i dont know of this is intended.
we followed a Galleon in one game like 15 or 20 minutes, constantly shooting it.
I dont know exactly how many times i (Artemis) have destroyed his Modules...it was between 50 and 100 times, not to mention my mate on the Mercury. We have have not managed to take it down.

so...a few questions...
is there a list with Hitpoints for the ships?
how does the secondary damage on weapons work, it is always there, or only at a specific range?
Artemis and Mercury both have Shatter as secondary, if the primary damage wont function at long range, this would explain why we can not destroy the galleon...but not why we have no problems with other ships.

Offline Captain Smollett

• Salutes: 122
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
Re: Shooting down the Galleon
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2013, 01:16:09 am »
If I remember correctly, the Galleon has 800 armor and 1200 permahull. The Artemis is rather weak and I believe does 60 explosive damage.  With the proper modifier being applied this would mean it would take about 14 Artemis shots into an unprotected galleon hull to kill it which is rather a lot. While rebuild times vary based on how many people are rebuilding the hull a Galleon hull usually takes a little over  6 seconds to rebuild with 1 engineer.

Essentially you were running a ship built primarily for disabling and not for killing so it's not surprising it took so long to kill your target.

Offline Morblitz

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 35
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2013, 01:21:44 am »
I love the Galleon.

Offline LazerusKI

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2013, 01:23:06 am »
what should we use to destroy the hull then?
our ships was meant to sniper, so we took the "HMS This is So Broken" and modified it slightly (it has two mercurys in front)

we tried the flak, but the spread is way to high at distance,
banshees damage is to low if you cant hit with each shot in my opinion.

what would be, if i take the explosive rounds with me, do they count as explosive damage, or is it only increased radius?
« Last Edit: May 13, 2013, 01:29:27 am by LazerusKI »

Offline JaceBoojah

• Salutes: 42
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2013, 01:40:48 am »
The fastest way to kill a ship is with a Pyramidian is a Gatling gun and a light flak. (shooting flak while the armor is down.
Mercury/Artemis is piercing/explosive (strip armor/strip hull) like the Gatling/Flak, but it is far weaker.

Lets compare the DPS of both:

Merc:ArmorDPS:42      /Artemis:HullDPS:31.2 (38.4 pre patch)
  Gat:ArmorDPS:82.9        /Flak:HullDPS:112

Sorry I have not worked on individual ship health data, but we were promised numbers would be accessible.

The secondary damage is based on the AoE. The Mercury has an AoE of one so it pretty much only delivers it's shatter damage to whatever you directly hit. The Artemis now has an AoE of 3.5m.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2013, 01:45:00 am by JaceBoojah »

Offline Morblitz

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 35
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2013, 01:49:17 am »
Use heavy ammo for the flak.

Offline Captain Smollett

• [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2013, 01:52:16 am »
Like it or not, there really is no way to get a quick kill at sniping range. If you pull within 800M a light flak can easily hit all shots when loaded with heavy clip. If you run a ship with a heavy weapons mount, a heavy flak with lesmok rounds can demolish an enemy without armor at about 1.5KM.

Offline LazerusKI

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2013, 01:54:33 am »
i think the differnece between Mercury/Artemis and Gatling/Flak is the range.
with our setup we can shoot at a very long distance, thats what we wanted. with Gatling/Flak we are forced into midrange.

Heavy Clip?
in the descriction it says "reduce recoil"
so, recoil = spread?

maybe we should try the spire with heavy flak and mercury later

Offline Captain Smollett

• [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2013, 02:17:43 am »
It's a tough build to pull off but if your gunners are precise and have impeccable timing and the captain can keep the range of the fight on their own terms (heavy flak arming timer significantly reduces effectiveness at close range) then this can be a devastating build. Throw an Artemis on the top right for some extra trifecta damage potential.

Offline LazerusKI

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2013, 02:50:29 am »
our pilot is pretty good in keeping distance^^
what should we take at the lower left slot (next to the flak), something for closerange?

Offline Squash

• Salutes: 71
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2013, 03:00:53 am »
It's worth pointing out that galleons are vulnerable to close range fire but the absolute best at long range.

Offline Mattilald Anguisad

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 12
    • [GwTh]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2013, 11:36:50 am »
not if you bring artemis/merc, that build is for dissabling anything with heavy weapons (light weapons take quite a bit more practice to dissable) - jou just lock down galleons heavy weapons (it's permahull was listed as in she shup loadout bage as 1400 BTW). If you have guts and learn pro Scyla light mortar (aspecialy since is has virtualy 0 spread nowdays) - that gun has double DPS of Light Flak

Offline HamsterIV

• Salutes: 328
    • View Profile
    • Monkey Dev
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2013, 12:07:57 pm »
The Artemis does negligible damage to the hull armor, and one Mercury with charged rounds damages armor only slightly faster than a mallet can repair it. If you want to go for a sniper build you should put two mercury's pointing in the same direction and have two crew members bring charged rounds. Then you can bring down the armor fast enough to possibly land a shot on the permahull. It is a long process since the Mercury is fairly weak against permahull, but it will go faster than merc/artimis. Plus with the enemy's permahull stripped most of the time your ally ship can walk in and deliver the Coup de Grace.

Offline LazerusKI

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2013, 03:30:45 pm »
we have equipped our pyra now with gatling and flak with heavy rounds.
a few days ago it worked like a beast, even the galleon was no problem.

but yesterday and today...nothing.
it feels like there is no damage anymore, we can shoot magazine after magazine into them, but nothing...and yes we hit the hull.
was there a broken patch or something?

Offline JaceBoojah

• Salutes: 42
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2013, 04:22:40 pm »
112  hull DPS     24 armor DPS Light Flak
14.6 hull DPS  82.9 armor DPS Gatling

The only time you should shoot the Flak gun is when the hull armor is down or you KNOW you will be able to reload in time to shoot a full clip the instant the hull armor does go down.

Think of the time between when the hull armor is down and when it gets back up as the only window of time that you can damage the other ship.
When that window opens you want to get as many flak hull hits as possible to kill the other ship.  So if your gunner has a full clip waiting for the hull armor to go down you can kill ships way faster.
The Gatling gun is THE BEST at opening that window for you.  It does not need Flak hits to help it do its job.