Author Topic: Medium Gun Class  (Read 6639 times)

Offline shadowsteel

• Salutes: 18
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
Medium Gun Class
« on: May 20, 2013, 02:28:50 pm »
I had an idea to make the game more diverse without actually adding new content (guns).

Right now there are only has two levels of guns. Light and heavy.  And these are then spread out over certain ships and positions on those ships.

Why not add a medium class?

Recently the Artemis was the new OP weapon (until it got nerfed) sparking dozens of discussions (read biggest GoIO debate ever) of it being heavier than a light weapon while still having the mobility and placement of a light weapon. But if there was a middle class it would have a place there.

There are also a few guns that aren't used as much because within the same class there are better options. If some of the current light guns were made a little more or a little less powerful and placed into the corresponding classes, there would be more usefulness to those guns. I think a little tinkering with the numbers is all it would need.

There's also gun placement. This would serve to make ship builds more interesting. For example, the Pyramidion side guns are primarily used for long-range pot shots. What if one or two of those side guns were medium class? I think we'd see a lot of different variations to compliment those guns instead of the usual gat/flak combo.

This is just an idea I had. Feel free to shoot down, just agree, or add your own ideas that would make this one better.

I'd like to see some discussion on other ship builds using this idea.
i.e. how you would place the light and medium slots on different ships, which guns should be light and medium etc.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2013, 03:00:49 pm by shadowsteel »

Offline FightBoyVash

• Salutes: 20
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
    • Redstone Rampaga
Re: Medium Gun Class
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2013, 02:34:53 pm »
We're barely getting the guns we already have balanced (Thanks Awkm) and you want MORE?!?!
It would add a whole lot of issues figuring out the placement and there would be more OP issues.

I do like the idea though, It would give a reason to de-nerf some guns!
It is an interesting concept though, maybe putting the top spots on a pyra as Med. guns or, have a Med. gun as the front of a squid.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2013, 02:37:16 pm by FightBoyVash »

Offline shadowsteel

• [MM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2013, 02:39:12 pm »
We're barely getting the guns we already have balanced (Thanks Awkm) and you want MORE?!?!

I meant without adding new guns. Just using the existing ones and creating a new class for some of them. I apologize if that wasn't clear.

Offline Sgt. Spoon

• Salutes: 112
    • [Keno]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2013, 04:06:11 pm »
Actually the guns you nowadays call heavy guns was previously called medium guns, and heavy guns were planned to be added. There were no finished versions of them but they were supposed to be pretty big and awesome.

Later though, this was changed to the 2 classes we have today. Mainly since 3 classes would take quite the effort to implement properly, and on account of balancing.

Offline N-Sunderland

• Salutes: 281
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2013, 04:33:32 pm »
Yeah, the large guns would have been pretty much Junker-sized. Yikes.

Offline Arthem White

• Salutes: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2013, 04:55:03 pm »

How is that bad in any way, shape or form?

Offline N-Sunderland

• Salutes: 281
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2013, 05:04:12 pm »

How is that bad in any way, shape or form?

You're right.

Offline shadowsteel

• [MM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2013, 05:09:26 pm »
Mainly since 3 classes would take quite the effort to implement properly, and on account of balancing.
I agree it would need to be balanced and would need some work to get it right, but that's true for anything new. And since the content is already there,  there are only two main parts that need to be balanced.

1. The aspects of each gun need to be buffed or lowered (or stay the same in some cases) depending on their class.
      2. The layout of the gun slots for each ship.

And there are already a few light guns that are 'lighter' than the rest. Like the harpoon, flare gun, and banshee carousel.

The heavy ships (galleon, goldfish, and spire) all have light guns to compliment their heavy guns. It would be interesting to give the other ships two gun classes as well without raising them to heavy ship status.

It would also add another choice for captains which in turn makes for more diversified gameplay.