Author Topic: Remove mandatory tutorials  (Read 25589 times)

Offline Narayan

• Salutes: 10
    • [◣﹏◢]
    • View Profile
Remove mandatory tutorials
« on: May 27, 2018, 09:14:28 pm »
I noticed a lot of f2p accounts aren’t sticking. There are enough noobs now that I think the tutorials aren’t needed, and could be creating a roadblock.

Offline Rareform K. Rozhkov

• Salutes: 84
    • [SkBo]
    • View Profile
    • Skyborne Site
Re: Remove mandatory tutorials
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2018, 11:37:19 am »
if people don't like a tutorial and resist learning that much id much rather them not play tbh.
I doubt new players who don't want a tutorial would like this game or (even really stay that long anyways). you kinda have to learn things.

Offline Corporal Ravioli

• Salutes: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2018, 04:00:52 pm »
If the tutorial is a roadblock then they clearly lack the cognitive capacity to perform ANYTHING beyond that. I can't believe I'm responding to this.

Offline Narayan

• [◣﹏◢]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2018, 07:43:05 am »
It’s a roadblock in the sense that a lot of people think it’s stupid and bugged, and imo it is a pretty annoying tutorial, I’ve done it many times for my smurf accounts. 

I’m also hurt that you would say people with cognitive abilities shouldn’t be able to play the game ravioli.

Offline Corporal Ravioli

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2018, 10:14:37 am »
It’s a roadblock in the sense that a lot of people think it’s stupid and bugged, and imo it is a pretty annoying tutorial, I’ve done it many times for my smurf accounts.
If they can't deal with an automaton telling them what to do, it's not going to be much better when it's a human that they can retaliate against for fun. The educational features in this game are both either severely limited, or absent entirely. That issue is not solved via removal.

I’m also hurt that you would say people with cognitive abilities shouldn’t be able to play the game ravioli.
If you can't make it past the /literal fucking tutorial/ for a video game, you lack the /patience/, /cooperation/, and /communication skills/ to perform effectively and have fun. What, you think I'm talking about retarded people? Way to virtue signal.

Offline Narayan

• [◣﹏◢]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2018, 11:32:09 am »
Ok Mr. Potty Mouth let’s try to keep it g rated and not bash on handicap people k thx.

What I’m saying is there are enough new players with f2p they can learn by doing in a safer environment than before when we only had 100 players. They don’t need to start out playing at a higher level so we can let people just get into the game and have fun, like the good old days.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2018, 11:35:14 am by Narayan »

Offline Corporal Ravioli

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2018, 04:33:50 pm »
Ok Mr. Potty Mouth let’s try to keep it g rated and not bash on handicap people k thx.

/You/ started that to attempt to dilute my point and make me seem like the bad guy. Using something like that as a petty argumentative weapon made me markedly upset.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2018, 04:47:08 pm by Corporal Ravioli »

Offline Piemanlives

• Salutes: 155
    • [Cake]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2018, 11:40:04 pm »
This sounds more like a "I've had to do the tutorial so many times and I don't want to have to do so anymore."

Quite frankly this a reverse of opinion that existed quite some time ago, where Veteran players were complaining that new players didn't know how to play the game and while were willing to teach the willing, they quite frankly didn't want to be forced into the teaching role if they didn't have to.

What I’m saying is there are enough new players with f2p they can learn by doing in a safer environment than before when we only had 100 players. They don’t need to start out playing at a higher level so we can let people just get into the game and have fun, like the good old days.
Yes but we still need to communicate the gameplay fundamentals to them somehow, and not everyone reads the manual or listens to the people who are trying to teach them. A forced tutorial at the very least ensures that players have some idea of the fundamentals of the game before they play. Sure it's bugged at times but that's more an argument for fixing it rather than taking it away.

Offline Vivian Whittock

• Salutes: 4
    • [⏅]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2018, 12:50:43 am »
Hey, please remember that the Code of Conduct applies on the forums as well as in game and on the discord. It's good to have a discussion about aspects of the game and how they can be improved, but it's also important to keep an objective stance while discussing topics. Aggression, harsh or inflammatory words, and anger are not the way to tackle a problem, and will lead to the thread being locked. If you have questions, comments, or concerns about the game or forums, please contact feedback@musegames.com. Thanks!

Offline Naoura

• Salutes: 25
    • [Sass]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2018, 08:34:03 am »
Here's a decent solution to clean up this problem:

Simply rework them. People don't enjoy some of the tutorials, mainly due to them being, well, bad. That isn't grounds for removal at the slightest, nor is it even within reason to remove them. GOIO is a complicated game. A complex game to play well most especially. Easy to play, but hard to master.

Narayan, in response to removing it, I'm pretty sure the whole of the Veteran community would be steadfastly against it. Most of the time, they'll do the engineer tutorial and leave off from that, as far as I've seen the 1/3/1 nublets coming in to try their hand at a class they have no experience in. That doesn't mean you remove them entirely, that means you improve them. Make them more efficiet, and far more effective.

Ravioli, he's been baiting you. It's Narayan. You raised the far better points, but... still. He's trying to kindle up a flamewar because it's what he does.

Offline Narayan

• [◣﹏◢]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2018, 11:55:52 am »
I joined in 2013 and learned the game with no tutorial. I’m not saying delete it entirely just don’t make it mandatory.

The old way of learning the game is you would play with noobs maybe win maybe lose, fight a vet every 3rd or 4th round, and get stomped. Usually the vet would pass some jewel of advice to you and you took it to your next noob game and slowly got better. I don’t see anything wrong with using that system now that we have the players, if people would rather opt out of the tutorial.

And yea I was trolling you ravioli, I guess that says something about your cognitive abilities :p
« Last Edit: May 30, 2018, 12:03:23 pm by Narayan »

Offline Vivian Whittock

• Salutes: 4
    • [⏅]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2018, 12:29:36 am »
Topic has been locked. Have a nice day.