Author Topic: Mines  (Read 23803 times)

Offline Natani of Faron

• Salutes: 1
    • [GILT]
    • View Profile
Mines
« on: February 05, 2018, 07:07:19 pm »
How can mines be used effectively? So far, I have never been in a match in which either the enemy or my teammates were using mines to any effect. They seem pretty much useless, being so easily maneuvered around, along with not causing much of a problem when hit.

Offline Daft Loon

• Salutes: 47
    • [◕_◕]
    • View Profile
Re: Mines
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2018, 07:53:33 pm »
With practice they can be fired to land right next to or in front of a target ship leaving them little or no time to react. Getting 2 or 3 repeated hits in this manner starts to cause serious damage on account of the mines hitting almost/all the components on a ship.

There should be some good guides lying around here on the forum or in the steam guides (probably the ones for online not alliance) if you look around for them.

Offline Corporal Ravioli

• Salutes: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2018, 01:26:02 am »
Mines are a tough beast to conquer.

Daft Loon is right - the ultimate goal is to shoot mines aggressively as opposed to defensively. The more you shoot the more you get a sense for how the enemy is moving and where you can pop a mine and give them the hardest time possible.

There are two main tricks to shooting mines accurately: arc and arming time.

Just about the best thing you can do for yourself is hop into practice mode and toggle F4 on the gun to view the arc. It's so much easier to focus on how the thing works when you're not being shot at.

Arming time is how long the mine will travel through the air before deploying. Ammunition like Lesmok will increase the speed of the projectile and make it deploy straighter and farther away. On the complete opposite end of the scale, Lochnagar decreases arming time by over half, so it'll deploy RIGHT next to you. Try out a bunch of ammunition from the same spot and see what happens.

Really the last thing is a matter of saturation - shoot as much mines as you possibly can. They're not all too common and it really depends on a strong pilot/gunner synergy, but in due time I hope you'll be hucking choice mines in our faces and showing us what's what.

Offline Analus

• Salutes: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2018, 02:04:39 am »
Feel free to join Monday Munker Madness to see how mines are used effectively:
https://gunsoficarus.com/community/forum/index.php/topic,8561.0.html

Offline Schwalbe

• Salutes: 178
    • [ψ꒜]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2018, 03:22:02 am »
They seem pretty much useless

Oh my sweet summer child.

Offline Yor Trison

• Salutes: 0
    • [Oot]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2018, 09:07:17 am »
they will seem so at first but as you use them more and more you will get used to their arc and arming time. Once you have the basics mastered you will realize how much of a godsend they can be. Not only can they disable most of the components on a ship allowing for a push. but with Lock, they can be the last bit of damage for a kill.   

Offline Schwalbe

• Salutes: 178
    • [ψ꒜]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2018, 09:12:14 am »
Mines are quite easy to handle. You basically need to figure out which mine launcher model you want to use to aim the damn thing (as in, at level of which part the mine deploys).

What is tricky is figuring out the ranges for respective ammo types, cause they change the range at which the mine deploys.

Offline Long Max

• Salutes: 3
    • [臭襪子]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2018, 12:22:27 pm »
Don't worry, keep play more and someday, in some public lobby, Rumble, Labyrinth or maybe Canyon you will meet some stacked bastards on munker, who will explain all for you.

Offline HamsterIV

• Salutes: 328
    • View Profile
    • Monkey Dev
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2018, 02:24:56 pm »
Mines also require coordination between gunner and pilot. No matter how good the gunner is, if the pilot can't put the ship in a position to use mines effectively it is a wasted gun.

Offline Natani of Faron

• Salutes: 1
    • [GILT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2018, 02:34:47 pm »
Interesting