Author Topic: Few ideas setting fire to tar clouds and alert for lobby countdown  (Read 7719 times)

Offline Lance Gilgamesh

• Salutes: 0
    • View Profile
So two ideas I had first that I think would be nice is for an alert sound to play in game lobbys when enough captains ready up for the countdown until the match starts. I don't know if it's just me but I tend to find that 30 secend countdown catching my unaware.

The other idea was what if you could set tar clouds on fire? Like with flamethrowers and flare guns or something that goes boom like flaks if you can get the range right for them to blow up in the cloud, And ships that past through the fireball would catch on fire. would be interesting with ships like squids that have a back gun nobody ever uses that they could put a flamethrower to light the cloud on fire.

While the idea of setting tar clouds on fire sounds cool to me I don't really know how that would work out in balance. (or if you can even set tar and tar clouds on fire in real life really)

Offline Redorio diVario

• Salutes: 8
    • View Profile
Re: Few ideas setting fire to tar clouds and alert for lobby countdown
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2013, 07:00:41 am »
I totally agree with the first idea. A sound alert would be really helpful. I hate situations when I'm still in the "Ship" menu changing the guns but in the meantime other captains clicked "ready" and the loading screen suddenly pops out.

Flammable tar cloud sounds interesting but I'm also wondering whether it would disturb the balance... 

Offline N-Sunderland

• Salutes: 281
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2013, 07:49:07 am »
With tar as it is now, doing anything to make it more effective would unbalance it. It's already hard to deal with, and making it flammable would add fuel to the fire.

Offline shadowsteel

• Salutes: 18
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2013, 12:31:34 pm »
and making it flammable would add fuel to the fire.

Dont you mean fire to the fuel? lol

Offline N-Sunderland

• Salutes: 281
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2013, 05:07:15 pm »
and making it flammable would add fuel to the fire.

Dont you mean fire to the fuel? lol

I was going to make that joke, but then I thought about it, and it doesn't make sense to call tar fuel :P

It was originally going to be "and making it flammable would add fire to the fuel (sorry)"

Offline Victor Conroy

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2013, 04:04:43 pm »
Personally what I'd like in regards to lobby countdowns is for some notifier to show up on the match browser that the countdown has started...on more than one occasion I've joined a lobby and before my eyes can even dart across the lobby to register what's there, the game starts. No time to examine crew comp or gun loadout.

Offline Squidslinger Gilder

• Salutes: 287
    • [TBB]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2013, 07:07:10 pm »
Well it wouldn't unbalance it if there was a chance the flames would blow back and damage the one using tar. There are far too many players just flying around with tar left on. A massive flame explosion which would dmg their ship instantly would prevent this.

The biggest issue would be slow down of the game and fps issues. Massive amounts of tar igniting can't be good for the fps or servers.

Offline Lance Gilgamesh

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2013, 08:43:10 pm »
Well my thought it would be a choice between using the tar to outright damage the other ship or setting it on fire so the fire stacks do the damage and maybe making the other crew panic by having their ship set on fire but that might just not be needed with how powerful tar is right now.

Offline Spud Nick

• Salutes: 130
    • [✦✦45]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2013, 10:33:27 pm »
What about a new pilot tool that is like tar barrel but with fire.

Offline RaptorSystems

• Salutes: 6
    • [BFS]
    • View Profile
    • Fab Lab Adelaide
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2013, 04:07:31 am »
Well it wouldn't unbalance it if there was a chance the flames would blow back and damage the one using tar. There are far too many players just flying around with tar left on. A massive flame explosion which would dmg their ship instantly would prevent this.

The biggest issue would be slow down of the game and fps issues. Massive amounts of tar igniting can't be good for the fps or servers.

In theory you could alter the tar particles to reduce and then flicker instead of adding more particles on top, keeping relatively the same load in regards to graphics resources. Also if flame caused the tar to dissipate almost instantly in comparison to how it hangs around now, it could increase performance overall for everyone.

I would be setting tar on fire just to get rid of it.