Author Topic: Fjord Baronies  (Read 69163 times)

Offline Dr Pantaleon

• Salutes: 17
    • [Rydr]
    • View Profile
    • My deviantart profile
Re: Fjord Baronies
« Reply #45 on: July 17, 2014, 06:41:41 pm »
huh, I thought the man's neck was mostly fine, but the woman's was egregious.

I think it's all right. It seems to be somewhat of a Spanish Collar. But what's up with the guy's hat? Is that some kind of a very tall kepi or just a bicorne from the front? If it's just a tall hat, it looks rather silly...

Offline Dr Pantaleon

• [Rydr]
    • View Profile
    • My deviantart profile
« Reply #46 on: January 11, 2015, 04:21:43 pm »
So, in the weekly progess report they just posted this picture of the Baronies' ships:

I am in LOVE

Offline Arturo Sanchez

• Salutes: 119
    • [AI]
    • View Profile
    • My spaghetti channel
« Reply #47 on: January 11, 2015, 04:47:06 pm »
They look like they dun belong in Guns considering how vastly different they are with the ships we use.

They look like space craft with all that ornate plating. (literally cruisers and barges from 40k imperium)

I mean, if you go by the mobula (a ship designed by the baronies if I'm not mistaken), you would never guess they belonged in the same universe, let alone the same kingdom.

So this begs the question. Will the ships we use be getting a reskin to match or will these have to be downgraded?
« Last Edit: January 11, 2015, 04:52:29 pm by Ceresbane »

Offline Replaceable

• Salutes: 84
    • [Rydr]
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 11, 2015, 04:52:01 pm »
I think you are being put off by the colour scheme. If they were mobula coloured it would be fine. I think anyways.

But like how big are these?! I'm sure i can see windows.. These must be at least juggernaut sized. Imagine crewing on one with like 100 other people. :O

Offline Arturo Sanchez

• [AI]
    • View Profile
    • My spaghetti channel
« Reply #49 on: January 11, 2015, 05:01:42 pm »
I think you are being put off by the colour scheme. If they were mobula coloured it would be fine. I think anyways.

But like how big are these?! I'm sure i can see windows.. These must be at least juggernaut sized. Imagine crewing on one with like 100 other people. :O

If you go by the Co-op footage. Some of these ships shouldn't be manned by more than 20 ppl max. And no... I fly red ships. The plate on our ships is indeed rarely painted, only the balloon. Which does distract from the universal aesthetic to match with our ships.

The mobula is a flying pillow and I can see where some Baronie influences match up with the railings and cabins and style of the tails/fins. But what I suppose are the balloons look more like fuel tanks for a rocket engine and nowhere near big enough to lift those things.

Always noticed that on every ship in the game, the balloon is always the larger target. I think that's what I feel is missing. The lowered presence of that all important balloon, where it should be the most obvious thing to hit.

I mean the amount of times we gotta tell noobs to shoot hull over balloon...
« Last Edit: January 11, 2015, 05:03:13 pm by Ceresbane »

Offline Alexor Huxley

• Salutes: 9
    • [ATR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 11, 2015, 06:03:33 pm »
I concur with Ceresbane. The balloons are almost secondary - like the one all the way to the left. At least with most of the present ships we can trick ourselves into saying "Ah yeah, that balloon can support the weight of the ship" because the balloon is usually about twice the size of the gondola. The balloons on the left are smaller than the gondola.

Also, they look too much like Bretonian ships from Freelancer:

http://discoverygc.com/wiki/images/a/ac/Br_elite.png
http://discoverygc.com/wiki/images/d/d1/Br_battleship.png
http://discoverygc.com/wiki/images/7/70/Br_destroyer.png
http://discoverygc.com/wiki/images/e/ed/Bret_ctrans.png
http://discoverygc.com/wiki/images/7/7e/Bretsupertransport.png

Offline Replaceable

• Salutes: 84
    • [Rydr]
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 11, 2015, 06:20:47 pm »
Oh yeah i absolutely agree- where are the balloons?

Unless they've invented steampunk space travel. :o

Offline DrTentacles

• Salutes: 30
    • [GSR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 11, 2015, 06:33:09 pm »
The Mobula is guild.

The Spire is baronies.

Offline Arturo Sanchez

• [AI]
    • View Profile
    • My spaghetti channel
« Reply #53 on: January 11, 2015, 08:16:12 pm »
The Mobula is guild.

The Spire is baronies.

Really? The notes on it says its a party boat for royal people.

Offline Indreams

• Salutes: 105
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 12, 2015, 05:16:43 am »
Well,

With the size of the ships. The ships we have doesn't seem to provide for food nor sleep. I can only think that our ships are fighter airships meant for "Skirmishes" and that there exists massive "Motherships" for extensive campaigns. Given the story of Co-op, these massive ships aren't too out of place.

With the lack of balloons. Muse have said that they are going for Hollywood realism: believable but not real. But I got to think, that towering ship is not believable. It looks top-heavy with the balloons on the bottom. I can only assume that it is either several ships overlapped or just incomplete. If it is in fact one ship, I think it will waddle like ducks.

With the outlandish texture. Most of our ships are Yeshan in design. Our ships are "Skirmish" ships, just gun and engines. It could be argued that the "Motherships" would be quite aesthetic, especially those owned by the Fjord aristocracy. But it does not change the fact that our ships look crap to these new ships. I for one want ship "skins".

Offline Mod Josie

• Muse
  • Salutes: 130
    • [Cake]
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 12, 2015, 06:02:39 am »
It's also worth noting that there could be large internal floats or ballasts inside the large structure at the top. These vessels are still a work in progress and are not going to turn out exactly the same in the final release unless it's for good reason.
The Spire (from the same faction origin iirc) is also a tall ship with a lot of plating. While it's definitely less ornate than this, it's not a big step to imagine the Spire flying in tandem with some of these vessels as a sentinel.

As for it toppling over - Yes the centre of mass in this picture would appear to be absolutely terrible. There may be something that allows this to take place such as weight blocks or offset balloons. That being said, the section to the Right of the picture appears to be some kind of shipping yard. Perhaps that area has a lot of raw materials to keep it balanced.
While we're on the subject of locating the centre of mass and the centre of lift - The Mobula. With the lifting body underneath the craft, a levering force on one of the wings (perhaps a strong gust) should force the ship to topple and turn upside down so the lifting centre is highest. The only way around this is if the skin of the balloon was allowed to be elastically stretched underneath the main truss of the mobula such that the weight of the ship above compressed it. This would move the centre of mass down and put it in line with the centre of lift. Realism can only go so far.

I am also typing this long essay as a form of procrastination from writing a real essay and I must be stopped. I have work to do.

Offline Dr Pantaleon

• [Rydr]
    • View Profile
    • My deviantart profile
« Reply #56 on: January 12, 2015, 06:18:00 am »
I think those small beige tanks are supposed to be the balloon and I agree that they are way too small to be believable. From a gameplay standpoint however, I find this very interesting! It gives the factions different strengths andweaknesses. 
I don't think the ships are actually very big. The ones to the left and right are the small frigates, manned by 4 AIs and maybe around the size of a Junker? That strange construction in the middle must be the Boss ship.

Offline Dementio

• Salutes: 135
    • [Rydr]
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 12, 2015, 07:05:46 am »
With the size of the ships. The ships we have doesn't seem to provide for food nor sleep. I can only think that our ships are fighter airships meant for "Skirmishes".

The notes say that the Mobula is rumored to be a request by some royal people or couple even. They requested a ship on which they can watch they night sky on. Somebody else liked the design and turned it into a tool of war.

Offline Arturo Sanchez

• [AI]
    • View Profile
    • My spaghetti channel
« Reply #58 on: January 12, 2015, 09:50:57 am »
So the guns term for airship combat is officially skirmish? We can stop misusing dog fights now?

In anycase, big balloons that are bigger than the hull (dun have to be that much bigger, just bigger) and I can let my ignorance of engineering be content with the end result.

Though, I din wanna say summat but now that the elephant in the room is spotted with no chance to shake that spot. What in the world IS that thing in the middle?

Is it one freaky giant horseshoe shaped ship? Or is it two ships overlapping?

Offline Indreams

• Salutes: 105
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 12, 2015, 11:24:21 am »
With the size of the ships. The ships we have doesn't seem to provide for food nor sleep. I can only think that our ships are fighter airships meant for "Skirmishes".
The notes say that the Mobula is rumored to be a request by some royal people or couple even. They requested a ship on which they can watch they night sky on. Somebody else liked the design and turned it into a tool of war.

The requested Mobula probably wasn't meant to be a floating palace at any rate. It would have been like a recreational yacht that rich people have in their garage. Mobula is probably the most comfortable "Skirmish" ship, but I doubt its good for a long campaign.

So the guns term for airship combat is officially skirmish? We can stop misusing dog fights now?

"Skirmish" because GOIO we are playing right now is "Skirmish" mode. The up coming mode is "Co-op". And one we are excited about is the "Adventure".

If we used the word Skirmish for all airship combats, that would be misusing the word Skirmish and would not do justice to massive airship combats. But 2v2, 3v3, and 4v4 are Skirmishes: an episode of irregular or unpremeditated fighting, esp. between small or outlying parts of armies or fleets. -New Oxford American Dictionary-

Although I am not clan Duck, I like "duck fight". I wouldn't mind "cake fight" either.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2015, 11:48:25 am by Indreams »