Author Topic: Underground map  (Read 6352 times)

Offline CogHead

• Salutes: 3
    • [✦✦45]
    • View Profile
Underground map
« on: July 08, 2017, 02:08:15 pm »
For a while now, I always wanted a map with tight turns. After the reliese of Ashen Scufle with it's cave, the idea sprung to my mind.
A two layered map.
- Above the surface regular and large dust clouds, making it dangerous to linger, but providing no meaningful hard cover or substantial landmarks to go around. This would make it possible to cover great distances in little time compared to the underground caverns. Becouse...
- Below the surface stratches an extensive cave system, with varying terrain. Narrow passages, where a mobula would only dream passing through, shallow gaps, where a spire or galleon would need to find a longer way around.
- The two layers would be connected by large holes in the surface terrain, where even larger ships than the magnate would be able to descend to the community living below. Cracks in the cave ceiling would also provide sunlight, shining through in rays. These cracks would most likely trap a ship, that tried to pass through, but daring patains might find, that not all ships are the same with.

So basicly that, a cavernal map, lore wise, maybe a hidden community, a grean-grey paradise unaffected of the war up til this point.
And to top this off, some visual help.

This is the current map, the yellow is approximately where the surface connections are (yellow for the sun shining through), the black and white is just inverted heightmap(blacks are coloumns of stone connecting to both the floor and the ceiling).

Offline Huskarr

• Salutes: 29
    • [Rydr]
    • View Profile
Re: Underground map
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2017, 03:28:57 pm »
I like this idea. It sounds like a really interesting map if done well.

Offline Schwalbe

• Salutes: 178
    • [ψ꒜]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2017, 05:49:27 pm »
That would make an interesting Alliance map - thinking about things like Assault...

Offline Richard LeMoon

• Muse Games
  • Salutes: 284
    • [Muse]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2017, 03:42:35 pm »
The top part would have to be all objects. I doubt if there is currently support for an inverted heightmap. However, this would not be a massive issue, since they could be generally low poly meshes. The massive rock on Flayed Hills from B7 to E4 is a good example of what would have to be used.

Instead of dust clouds, maybe try something new, like high winds above ground.

I have a similar map layout idea, but it is not underground, per say. It is inside the ruined construction hanger of a Leviathan with part of the roof collapsed.

Offline Naoura

• Salutes: 25
    • [Sass]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2017, 07:06:24 pm »
@Richard, Lorewise, there's only been the one Leviathan, I do believe. The one crashed in the Burren, built to end a war. Doesn't seem like it worked, due to... being buried in the sand....

But I'm not certain that there is another. Or a hangar it would have been built, at least not one we'd identify as. Something that large was probably built in a mostly guarded valley, due to the resources to be found in the Burren.

Honestly, I'd go with the same thing, just based in Arashi. I don't think there are any maps in the Arashi desert, and one that is near it, in the Ashen Mountains.

I wouldn't mind it, lorewise, to be one of the revived factories of the Arasi. We've got a couple of maps in te Burren, and the Arashi could use something. And it'd be amazing to see the jury-rigging that would have been accomplished at the monster factories of the old world, a few small corners where the Arashi have repurposed the machinery.