Author Topic: The Map Suggestion Thread. Got one? Post it here.  (Read 6976 times)

Offline Richard LeMoon

• Muse Games
  • Salutes: 284
    • [Muse]
    • View Profile
The Map Suggestion Thread. Got one? Post it here.
« on: June 17, 2017, 10:06:16 am »
You may have noticed there are a lot of new maps in the selection list. Now that the bulk of the Alliance work is done, Muse has turned some of its attention to the porting and adapting more maps in Skirmish (maybe some Skirmish to Alliance as well?). The two newest are:

Graveyard, 2v2 to 4v4 Deathmatch

Quite fun, and described as "Dunes with Dual at Dawn in the middle". It should be quite the mess with 4v4. Chaos and ALTO, a new map is coming your way!

and

Ashen King Under the Hill (called Ashen Kerfuffle in devapp now) 2v2 to 3v3 KotH

After spawns are adjusted, this may be one of the most brutal maps yet. Lets see if we can break the Break kill record!

Have more ideas for maps? Post them here. We will grab up the serious ones and toss them on our Trello.

Offline MightyKeb

• Salutes: 78
    • [GwTh]
    • View Profile
Re: The Map Suggestion Thread. Got one? Post it here.
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2017, 10:10:23 am »
This isn't a map suggestion, but rather a series of suggestions for one of the upcoming maps - Graveyard. I'm copypasting it here just incase it turns out this is the more appropriate thread to use.

It's great that you've included the spawns here, because otherwise I mightve overlooked them while focusing on the game during playtest.

On blue's side, I think C4 spawn needs to be moved to C5, behind the Engine. The reasoning is pretty simple - makeshift spawn protection. D3/4 needs to be edged closer to 4, behind the rib instead of inbetween. Rest looks pretty alright, though for A 3/4 there are two options that might make it slightly better: Edge it to B 3/4, or move to to A4, but add cloud rotation to the west corridor if it wasn't present already.

Red spawns are all fine except C2. I don't know where to put it, either C/D2, or C 1/2.

Infact, I'd prefer we play around with the idea of giving the teams Diagonal spawns instead. That being, Blue spawn occupies the general area to Northwest while Red takes Southeast. It's already been employed in some of the current maps (Paritan, even Duel a little bit) and is particularly useful when a map is too small to spread the spawns around, or the spawns aren't defensible enough on all directions. In this case the direction I chose for both teams' spawns appear to give some of the best cover on the map, so you can see the idea in effect that despite it being more clumped, it would hold off better agains't a good spawncamp. Of course, this doesn't mean all the spawns have to be in the same direction. Having one of them at the opposite lateral direction is always healthy.

I'd also love to get a general idea of cloud rotation in this map  aswell. Roughly speaking, I'd like some clouds orbiting the entire West corridor, E3-5 and maybe, just maybe some orbiting middle really high, if the flight ceiling is large enough.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2017, 10:13:31 am by MightyKeb »

Offline Naoura

• Salutes: 25
    • [Sass]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2017, 10:32:31 am »
You've still got the bridge map that you modeled a while ago, I assume?

Other than that and possibly a map inside the Ridge Forest, not the massive trees that some people have suggested, but more of a large valley with a pine forest growing through it. Very open center with lots of little passes through the sides, plenty of cloud cover in the side areas. Think Red Canyon mixed with Misty. Not a lot of Verticle mobility inside the flank passes, but plenty of cover to either flank or snipe into the main valley.

Possibly Abermar? Or at least something in the Vastness? Vyshtorg, I know, has floating town barges, from the lore, and it might be interesting to have an airship fight above an active city, especially with Vyshtorg having the flying pleasure barges to act as cover. It'd give us a ap from the merchants as well as being a very interesting map as well.

Offline Richard LeMoon

• Muse Games
  • Salutes: 284
    • [Muse]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2017, 10:35:51 am »
I forgot to link the Trello.

Blue C and Red D may move back some when the map borders are expanded (this is planned). The Spawns were carefully chosen by testers based on previous tests. Each one was chosen based on either strategic positioning (furthest N/S) or cover. We considered angled spawns, but could not find a fair mix that would not end up with terrible spawn camping. E/W was also considered, but once again could not find a fair way to do it since the west side is much more open than the East. The map should be expanded next week, and we can revisit spawn options.

I do have that mock up. This thread is mainly for porting or adapting existing maps. I don't think Muse has time currently to create new maps from scratch.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2017, 10:39:07 am by Richard LeMoon »

Offline Naoura

• Salutes: 25
    • [Sass]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2017, 10:55:26 am »
Ah, got ya. Sorry, the title was a tad confusing in that regard.

Map edit suggestion thread.

Offline MightyKeb

• Salutes: 78
    • [GwTh]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2017, 11:25:59 am »
I forgot to link the Trello.

Blue C and Red D may move back some when the map borders are expanded (this is planned). The Spawns were carefully chosen by testers based on previous tests. Each one was chosen based on either strategic positioning (furthest N/S) or cover. We considered angled spawns, but could not find a fair mix that would not end up with terrible spawn camping. E/W was also considered, but once again could not find a fair way to do it since the west side is much more open than the East. The map should be expanded next week, and we can revisit spawn options.

I do have that mock up. This thread is mainly for porting or adapting existing maps. I don't think Muse has time currently to create new maps from scratch.

I don't know what kind of terrain exists beyond the borders of this map, but if the Southwest and Northeast are anything to go by, it might end up being surprisingly open for a map like this. I'd suggest spamming clouds around the aforementioned areas in preperation for the expansion, too.