Author Topic: Phobos MkII Concept  (Read 7527 times)

Offline Daft Loon

• Salutes: 47
    • [◕_◕]
    • View Profile
Phobos MkII Concept
« on: April 23, 2017, 01:33:46 am »
 Based on the concept of "cooking" a grenade, a mine-launcher that fires bombs pre fused to explode.

-Starting assumption of the same range and damage as the normal mine but reduced AOE to account for the guaranteed explosion - 30-40m maybe.

-Instead of a fixed arming time it borrows the charging mechanic from the lightning coil, rather than charging increasing damage it reduces arming time instead.

-No balloon or proximity trigger, instead the bomb simply explodes when it reaches its arming time, when fully charged its arming time should be 0, it fires and explodes right there. Don't light a bomb fuse and then hold onto it. No explosion on unarmed impact, same as the normal mine-launcher.

End result is pretty similar to the normal mine-launcher but with charging time becoming the primary way to set its range.

Offline Psi Crow

• Salutes: 6
    • [SMGS]
    • View Profile
    • germanspeaking GoI community on Steam
Re: Phobos MkII Concept
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2017, 07:46:35 am »
I want to see that, but I don't want to be killed by my own gunner.
and that will happen.
a lot, probably.

can a MkII Mine trigger a MkI mine? That's an important aspect to think about and I guess it could unbalance like shit
« Last Edit: April 23, 2017, 07:52:07 am by Psi Crow »

Offline MightyKeb

• Salutes: 78
    • [GwTh]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2017, 07:49:48 am »
I want to see that, but I don't want to be killed by my own gunner

Mine pyras and most mine ships with a silly loch gunner can damage themselves repeatedly. This is also good counterplay.

Offline Daft Loon

• Salutes: 47
    • [◕_◕]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2017, 08:17:29 am »
can a MkII Mine trigger a MkI mine? That's an important aspect to think about and I guess it could unbalance like shit

I assume it would by default, depending on how much the AOE was reduced it could be non-trivial to do reliably though.

Offline Naoura

• Salutes: 25
    • [Sass]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2017, 09:51:04 am »
I had a weapon concept almost identical to this almost a year ago, buuuut I never got feedback for it so, meh.

Anyways, the concept is sound. My theory on it is to have it's arming time reduce by x amount of seconds every second after holding right click.

So, effectively, let's say it takes it 6 seconds for the projectile to reach it's arming time. Cooking the weapon every second reduces the arming time by each second. So, holding right click for 4 seconds would mean that it would detonate in 2 seconds in it's travel time.

That way, it works effectively like a grenade, cooked along it's timer in order to give greater control on it's detonation.

Offline Solidusbucket

• Salutes: 93
    • [SkBo]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2017, 01:14:02 pm »
What does the heavy mine launcher do? I cant remember 100% but thought it did this.

Offline MightyKeb

• Salutes: 78
    • [GwTh]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2017, 01:38:35 pm »
What does the heavy mine launcher do? I cant remember 100% but thought it did this.

It gives you the ability to detonate a flying mine launcher mid air, as opposed to "cooking". It's pretty similiar, but it doesnt run the risk of damaging your own ship, and it comes with it's own "arming time" before you're allowed to detonate.

Offline Solidusbucket

• Salutes: 93
    • [SkBo]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2017, 02:46:14 pm »
ahhh, thats right. https://youtu.be/q-CaxGU3FeQ?t=20s

Reminiscent of this beauty.

Offline SirNotlag

• Salutes: 17
    • [Bj&H]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2017, 12:19:59 am »
any gun that allows me to set the fuse i just know i would be absolute garbage at. then again mines hit with enough oomph I would really try to learn how to aim it. and it would be satisfying to land, if very hard too.