Author Topic: About auto balance  (Read 9405 times)

Offline BinaryDragon

• Salutes: 3
    • [CURE]
    • View Profile
About auto balance
« on: April 12, 2017, 05:54:31 am »
I watched the last dev fireside, and there were some talk about auto balance of factions.From what I understood : if one faction have a lot of active members other factions with less active members gain bonuses to keep things fair.

Does auto balance mean, that being super active and doing a ton of runs will just cause the other factions to gain an even bigger bonus from the auto balance system ? I don't know if this is the case. But I kinda lost the motivation to do a lot of runs in Alliance because I got the feeling that all my effort will be translated into an "auto balance advantage" for the other factions.If I don't do any runs, my inactivity will translate into an advantage in the auto balance system for my faction ? If this is the case, I really don't see the point. I mean doing the runs are fun, but to keep on doing them it would be nice with some sort of progress that does not translate into an advantage for my opponents

Offline Daft Loon

• Salutes: 47
    • [◕_◕]
    • View Profile
Re: About auto balance
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2017, 06:49:11 am »
I think if you are winning more/on harder difficulties than the average member of your faction you should come out ahead even if the auto balance is implemented that badly, because the more you play the more you improve the 'quality' of your faction.

Offline BinaryDragon

• [CURE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2017, 09:02:39 am »
I think if you are winning more/on harder difficulties than the average member of your faction you should come out ahead

I don't mean auto balance in relation to my own faction. I mean the auto balance in the world. Where less active factions get a bonus for being smaller/have a higher level of inactivity

even if the auto balance is implemented that badly,
I don't know how it is implemented, but I would like to know

because the more you play the more you improve the 'quality' of your faction.
I thought that the more I play the bigger bonus the other factions get. I don't understand what you mean by improving the 'quality' of my faction

Offline Solidusbucket

• Salutes: 93
    • [SkBo]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2017, 09:17:31 am »
I thought the balance changed how much effort had to be gained to defend/capture a territory.

Offline BinaryDragon

• [CURE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2017, 10:03:08 am »
I talked about this in a game. I was told that the auto balance is determined by how many active players a faction have. A player is counted active if he/she plays 1 game in a week.If this is correct I misunderstood how the auto balance in my original post

Offline Solidusbucket

• Salutes: 93
    • [SkBo]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2017, 12:21:47 pm »
Thats how it worked before release. We wondered why certain factions needed nearly half the effort tobdefend compared to our attack. It was based on player count.

Offline Huskarr

• Salutes: 29
    • [Rydr]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2017, 01:19:14 pm »
it's also based on distance to capital. So the closer you get to the capital of a faction the more you have to earn.

Offline Hoja Lateralus

• Salutes: 135
    • [ψ꒜]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2017, 07:19:21 am »
it's also based on distance to capital. So the closer you get to the capital of a faction the more you have to earn.

This is pretty much what I've suggested for "balancing"
Another idea is just server wipe, every now and then map restarts to the original position so everyone gets eqal chance again.

I wonder what is the safety protocol for big amount of people leaving one faction. Say, one faction is reduced to their capital and people have lost motivation so 70% of faction population leaves. What happens then? At the moment probably nothing, their efforts just get calculated accordingly, but shouldn't we have something to try and minimize possibility of such situation?