Author Topic: New tools, guns and other ideas  (Read 7600 times)

Offline SirNotlag

• Salutes: 17
    • [Bj&H]
    • View Profile
New tools, guns and other ideas
« on: April 08, 2017, 10:57:03 am »
Just thought I would make a thread where i could post up some ideas and people could share theirs.

Pilot tools:
-Extinguishers: when the pilot selects this the engines stop working but all fire stacks start to tick down at 1 per second. This doesn't cause a cooldown on the components its just another fire fighting tool to help the engineers as they run around.

Gunner tools:
-Reload crank: UI is like an ammo with the gunner selecting it while on a gun, but all it does is speed up the reloading process. If you keep the tool selected when the process is done it will start over again to punish you for not paying attention and allow a skilled gunner to wait till the last second before swapping to the ammo they want. (NOTE I've brought this up plenty of times and Muse actually did respond to it once, they found it would be too confusing to have a tool that was selected like ammo but was not ammo. Which is fair but i still like the idea and maybe someone else can modify it in a way they might be willing to look at)
-Rocket ammo: Increased bullet speed 50%, adds a 20% fire chance, greatly reduced damage -50%. allows you to set fires from afar with almost any type of gun.

Engineer tools:
-repair drill: cooldown of 2 seconds heals 60hp, rebuild power 2: a tool that would have the fastest healing rate in game but would require someone to sit and nurse the component they are trying to fix. also very little rebuild power so would have to bring a different tool to do that.
-auto builder: 5 second cool down lasts 30 sec, placing it down on a component doesnt heal it but it will rebuild it if it breaks with a very strong rebuild power.

feel free to add your own ideas or anything.

Offline Thalassa

• Salutes: 1
    • [◥ɸ◤]
    • View Profile
Re: New tools, guns and other ideas
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2017, 03:28:32 pm »
Except the reload ammo type, I like all your ideas.

Regarding reloading... I always felt that it is weird that a buffed weapon does more damage. It makes no sense: the damage comes from the ammo, not the gun. Buffed weapons should have shorter reload times and maybe RoF, as by being buffed, their mechanism works better,

Offline SirNotlag

• [Bj&H]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2017, 04:49:50 pm »
The idea for a Reload tool came from way back when the forums where just ablaze with how crummy gunners were and many captains in game would not allow gunners on their ships period. The arguments for that was since everyone had access to normal ammo and all ammo types were just balanced against that with positives and negatives to differentiate them it felt as if most people had 2 ammo types, in other words 2 gunner tools.

So i thought why not give the gunners a separate tool that wasn't an ammo similarly to how pilot tools include the spy glass and rangefinder. One idea that was not my own was to make a buff tool that was purely offensive for the gunner, called "the charger" i think, where buffing the guns improved them and buffing the hull electrically charged it so when you rammed another ship you would release the charge for extra damage, though i cant remember if there was any ideas on what it could do for engines or balloon, then again not sure it would need to do something for those as the gunners job is not to run around buffing.

I figured something that helped with reloading the weapons would be well suited to them. It could be a handheld tool just like an engineers where every hit speeds up the reloading temporarily effectively shortening the reload time by like 1/2 a second per hit or something, not alot but enough to make a difference. But then i imagined everyone on a ship taking it and turning one heavy gun into a very fast reloading weapon. An easy solution to that would be to make it so it does not stack so there is no point in everyone cranking on the same gun.

personally i prefer to keep my aim trained while reloading the weapon, provided nothing needs fixing, as it makes it easier to adjust shots when shooting afar so i wanted to make it so you could use it while still sitting on the gun. In my mind it kept the tool simple and working like other gunner tools as well.

Anyway the point of this post was not to argue your opinion it was to explain my thought process on the reload tool that i still bring up even though Muse has given me a response that they do not like it.

Offline Naoura

• Salutes: 25
    • [Sass]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2017, 10:33:11 pm »
I've had a few weapon ideas I've posted on here, but I've never gotten any feedback on... basically all of them except two, and even then it's all coming from one person.

And your repair drill is similar to something I posted ages ago, a welding torch. No cooldown, but gave a steady rate of HP

Offline SirNotlag

• [Bj&H]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2017, 09:20:52 am »
Yeah i suppose the forums aren't really active, as the game is not hugely popular. 

Offline Huskarr

• Salutes: 29
    • [Rydr]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2017, 09:30:34 am »
Forum use fluctuates a lot. Just like GoIo itself.

Offline Naoura

• Salutes: 25
    • [Sass]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2017, 10:11:56 am »
The game's Discord app has also taken up alot of discussion, since it's infinitely more immediate. The Forums seem to have taken a backseat to it at the moment

Offline Psi Crow

• Salutes: 6
    • [SMGS]
    • View Profile
    • germanspeaking GoI community on Steam
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2017, 11:39:06 am »
Cool ideas, except for reload tool:
I think it could mess up balancing and would be part of most loadouts as 2 ammo types is usually sufficient. Also it's basically what stamina does, isn't it?

Offline SirNotlag

• [Bj&H]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2017, 12:01:49 am »
well the pilot tool phoenix claw is just like the turning of the pilots stamina so i dont see an issue with another class having a tool that does one of the things their stamina does without actually using stamina.

And yeah most gunners only need 2 special ammo types on most ship compositions so they dont really need their third tool slot and thats part of the reason some captains still prefer 3 engineers over 2 engineers and a gunner. I think the Gunners either need more ammo choices the crazier the better or some kind of tool to make use of to make them more desirable.