Author Topic: MK 2 weapons  (Read 9975 times)

Offline SirNotlag

• Salutes: 17
    • [Bj&H]
    • View Profile
MK 2 weapons
« on: April 01, 2017, 03:26:39 pm »
So they have Mk 2 heavy flacks now that with one simple change of dropping their clip size from 4 to 2 changes the way the things work quite abit. Different ammos are better for each one and they feel different even though they do the same job.
I imagine its also a little easier to create then a brand new weapon from scratch since its the same coding just with different numbers and a different model. (OH HEY! SIDE NOTE: why don't muse ask the community to build alternate weapon models for their mk 2 weapons? It be provided to everyone for free so i don't think there are any legal issues.)

anyway what other MK 2 ideas can people come up with that might change the preferred ammo type for weapons or how the weapon functions.

MK 2 machine gun: increased range, less accurate, slower rate of fire
-taking heavy clip makes this one much more effective at knocking out components from afar but that comes at the cost of less dps.

MK 2 light flak: no arming time, change one of the damage types to shatter, less accuracy and removal of their explosion.
-allows it to be an alternate close explosive weapon but still counter component if you can score a direct hit even though its less accurate.

MK 2 mortar: farther and faster bullets, smaller clip:
-makes it easier to use but looses killing potential with a smaller clip.

MK 2 flamer: increase damage, fire particles are smaller and now have drop. (idea behind this is its spraying a thicker stickier ignited liquid that sprays out of the weapon, also might be harder to do than other guns cause the current fire effect might not look good with an arcing weapon.)
-better raw damage and killing potential but its effective range is reduced, unless the gunner knows how to arc it. 

Offline Schwalbe

• Salutes: 178
    • [ψ꒜]
    • View Profile
Re: MK 2 weapons
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2017, 03:52:31 pm »
The reason MK2 Flak was added was constant playerbase demand to bring back old heavy flak (because HF Mk2 is basically the old heavy flak).

So don't get your hopes too high.

Offline SirNotlag

• Salutes: 17
    • [Bj&H]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2017, 04:16:56 pm »
ha i never get my hopes up, its all just theoretical.

Offline Huskarr

• Salutes: 29
    • [Rydr]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2017, 04:26:15 pm »
well having more options like this would be nice. But a long time away if they would be implemented at all. And honestly I'd rather see completely new guns after the additions from Alliance are made.

Offline Kestril

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 24
    • [Sass]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2017, 04:33:13 pm »
well having more options like this would be nice. But a long time away if they would be implemented at all. And honestly I'd rather see completely new guns after the additions from Alliance are made.

The reason for MK II guns is to give the best content/time ratio.

New guns are too much of a work load for the devs.

Offline Solidusbucket

• Salutes: 93
    • [SkBo]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2017, 04:55:25 pm »
IMO I think the game is damn well balanced for all the different options / combinations that exist. I personally thing reskinning and calling the guns MK1, MK2, MK3 would be better than trying to implement entirely new guns.

But I am also content with what we have - so my opinion is both biased and not progressive.

Offline Naoura

• Salutes: 25
    • [Sass]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2017, 10:59:18 am »
See, I disagree on that, Solidus. Rehashing old weapons might be seen as lazy by newer players, and then it would cost the Dev's three times the work trying to implement a new one.

I would say, if you're going to do a Mk.II of any kind of weaponry, it should be rare. New weapons should come more often than rehashed old, though I certainly would not mind Mk. II weapons at all. Mk.II flak is a wonderful weapon, and a perfect addition to the ranks, but making Mk.II of other weapons would be difficult due to the nature of some of the weapons.

New weapons that have the same principle as existing weapons, but do it in a different way, would be a more viable, long term option. Hwacha gives high burst damage explosive/shatter. Make a new weapon that deals slow and steady explosive/burst. Same concept, different execution.

Offline Fynx

• Salutes: 30
    • [Rydr]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2017, 04:22:09 pm »
I would say, if you're going to do a Mk.II of any kind of weaponry, it should be rare..

I like the idea of making this feel... unique.
Heavy flak got the 2 shot version, because players were complaining and in game it's another gun people don't complain about, so it's a good thing.
I wouldn't like other mk2 version guns though. It would make the hflak feel less unique. Not to mention it's cheap.

Also.
The heavy flak mk2 isn't the old heavy flak. It's the new heavy flak with two shots. Find a video with old heavy flak and you'll see what a vast difference it is.
It doesn't feel like old heavy flak. I could go on with an exact description of difference like a chef comparing two similar however different cuisines.
Still, the new old heavy flak works as intended, so there's nothing to complain about, really.

Offline Naoura

• Salutes: 25
    • [Sass]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2017, 09:31:16 pm »
That's why I say they need to take the concept of Mk.II and modify it, build it less towards 'let's rebuild a gun's concept' and more 'let's build a new gun with similar concepts'.

A Mk.II is just a cop-out. Hell, I would have preferred it if they were to call the Mk. II Flak a howitzer. Howitzer would at least be something new, despite it being a rehash of flak. Technically the same bloody thing, but overall, it would be something new.

Offline Richard LeMoon

• Muse Games
  • Salutes: 284
    • [Muse]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2017, 06:27:52 pm »
Reusing assets is not lazy, or a cop-out, and is a long standing staple of games. Most players don't care for the most part if something is very similar or even identical to something else visually, as long as it is functionality different. No one would have blinked twice if MKII flak would have been exactly the same with a different texture set. But Muse went the extra mile to give us something more visually different.

Previous to 2017, Muse was dead set on creating 100% new assets for every gun and ship (oddly, not maps ;) ). Tank Spire testing may or may not have been the catalyst for the change in mindset.  With the stats I created, it should not have worked. It could not work. The Spire as it is was so ingrained in people's minds that it could not be anything different.

It worked. It changed a lot of people's minds about ships, and started the mental ball rolling on possible versions of other ships and guns. Maybe the MK II Old Flak was a result of that combined with the practical begging to bring it back. Both tests have been stunning successes.

If you want to know Muse's view on MK II everything, watch some of the Firesides. They specifically mentioned MK II versions of other guns, as well as MK II ships, with Tank Spire coming up several times. When this will happen is not known, but it is in their new design plan.

The MK IIs are coming.

Offline Solidusbucket

• Salutes: 93
    • [SkBo]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2017, 10:35:31 pm »
I think MKII is a fine idea.

I also like the idea of MKII ships - but I understand its a balancing nightmare.

On another semi-related note:
Be nice to have the skirmish ships updated visually to be more on par with the final unlocks of the faction ships. A stepping stone of sorts as our ragtag crew of mercenaries, prospects, recruits, and apprentecis gain favor among their respected alliances and earn money to rennovate their older boats. It would be an unlockable skin.