Author Topic: Free-for-all  (Read 10148 times)

Offline terrorcorps

• Salutes: 0
    • [⏅]
    • View Profile
Free-for-all
« on: March 21, 2017, 12:29:23 pm »
Don't know if it was already proposed or not, so I will do it myself. What do you think about "free-for-all" mode?

Offline Naoura

• Salutes: 25
    • [Sass]
    • View Profile
Re: Free-for-all
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2017, 05:47:50 pm »
Kind of takes away the Team aspect of Guns. A Free for All would just turn into a sniper fight, with everyone too scared to really engage.

No ally to help secure kills, no chance of reprieve from very difficult fights, snowballing combat, utter confusion (More so than usual at times), might end up being a mode more lamented than enjoyed.

I'll hop on the train though; Domination game mode? Except without the balloons as points, have the mining facilities, the armed ones. Make it difficult to actually cap points, and then require a team to take said point, to disable base defenses and cover for incoming enemy attacks.

Offline Richard LeMoon

• Muse Games
  • Salutes: 284
    • [Muse]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2017, 06:02:26 pm »
We have free for alls. They are called Mines.

As for turning into sniper matches, map design would be a key factor. A free for all map would need lots of cover and hiding places, with very few clear shots over long distances. Something like Puritan with much taller buildings would work, or Canyons with more... canyons.

Offline Naoura

• [Sass]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2017, 06:49:01 pm »
I can see that, Richard. Paritan and such might work, but you have to think across other games as well.

CoD fanboys would see this as a perfect opportunity to simply camp in an ideal position. Granted, Guns wouldn't reward this kind of play, due to limitations on some ships, but I can see these kinds of matches becoming Junker and Gally matches, just positioning yourself in place, poppin Impact bumpers, and going to a side weapon to assist in killing anyone dumb enough to actually try and move around.

Offline Schwalbe

• Salutes: 178
    • [ψ꒜]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2017, 07:02:45 pm »
Pointless.

Offline redria

• Salutes: 136
    • [OVW]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2017, 07:43:04 pm »
I mean. Options are options, yeah? I think it would be kinda cool to play a few rounds of this. Variety is the spice of life.

Offline Naoura

• [Sass]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2017, 10:00:08 pm »
I suppose Redria. I still think it would be a more negative mode, but... what options do we really have?

I do wish Resource Race was actually implemented.... sigh

Offline Richard LeMoon

• Muse Games
  • Salutes: 284
    • [Muse]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2017, 10:16:09 pm »
If you don't like it.... don't play?

Offline Naoura

• [Sass]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2017, 11:39:09 am »
I suppose. I avoid Skyball like the plague, like quite a few others.

The reason I'm opposed is lost manpower and resources for Muse due to wasting time on a mode very few will play. Read; Skyball.

Offline Arturo Sanchez

• Salutes: 119
    • [AI]
    • View Profile
    • My spaghetti channel
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2017, 09:35:36 pm »
You get the same effect during 4 v 4

Offline Naoura

• [Sass]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2017, 09:00:58 pm »
Depends on whether or not your team-mates are idiots, Arturo. Good allies it's a snipe/flank match. Bad it's a full on Tavern Brawl.

Offline Coldcurse

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 164
    • [TFD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2017, 06:57:04 am »
To look at free for all mode it doesn't take away the team feeling of the game. you're still flying around with 3 other players. But I understand your concerns about the whole teamplay, so why not make it a rare gamemode?

It's in my opinion a fun look at things due to having more people being able to shoot against you. making it in some way a mexican standoff at some times. Also the extra firepower against you and the less allies concludes in your engineers really getting to shine in this gamemode. The stress of bullets flying past your face in rapid pace just makes the gamemode more wow.

Would this gamemode fit in the game?
I would say yes because the world of guns of icarus is based around conflict and it should also be in situations that you're on your own instead of always having allies around you.

I do not want to inspire the solo plays, and in my opinion this gamemode should be banned from tournament play. but at least it's an actual gamemode idea that can make things more interesting.

Offline Montessoir

• Salutes: 1
    • [ALTO]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2017, 12:33:22 pm »
Just chiming in for my support of the idea. Sounds like a blast! Alternatively a juggernaut game mode would preserve that "team" oriented team work, and it sounds rad.