Author Topic: Sunday Community Skirmish #142 (Sign Ups For March 5th 2017)  (Read 8062 times)

Offline Solidusbucket

• Salutes: 93
    • [SkBo]
    • View Profile
Sunday Community Skirmish #142 (Sign Ups For March 5th 2017)
« on: March 01, 2017, 09:59:25 pm »

March 5th @ 8pm UTC (3pm EDT)

Join The Discord if you are the Point of Contact

Important information will be posted In The Discord

Reply to this post with your Team Name
The Point of Contact must: Join the Discord

All Interested in Casting or being a Referee this week: post here and Join the Discord

Official Rules

SCS is a 2v2, time limited, competitive event. Teams consist of 2 ships (8 players). The event lasts from 1-3 hours depending on how many teams sign up. Please do not sign up if you will not be able to produce a full 8 player team.  Join the Discord for information and to potentially find a team / substitute for a team.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2017, 10:07:26 pm by Solidusbucket »

Offline Sundstrom

• Salutes: 91
    • [SkBo]
    • View Profile
Re: Sunday Community Skirmish #142 (Sign Ups For March 5th 2017)
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2017, 11:21:03 pm »

Dmitrij's Angels signing up!
POC: Sundstrom, Solidusbucket

Offline Nietzsche's Mustache

• Salutes: 27
    • [IISC]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2017, 08:18:38 pm »

Mustache Rydr's signing up!
PoC: Nietzsche's Mustache, Fynx.

Offline Solidusbucket

• [SkBo]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2017, 02:41:42 am »
I want there to be some clarity on how maps will be chosen while I am organizing SCS.

I am also using this as an oppurtunity to get you to Join the Discord

Know, that I am not doing anything crazy. instead, I am following guidance / precedence from this post https://gunsoficarus.com/community/forum/index.php/topic,7579.msg127718.html#msg127718 (TLDR: Lueosi would swap the maps if the randomizer placed the same one twice in a row for a team. He tried to prevent teams, regardless if they won the match or not, from playing the same map twice in a row)
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1EYWzL5v99fLcmRT73PI4axIJiKSZD25lejeZjEd4_D0/edit#gid=0 :this is the Google Doc spreadsheet I will use to randomize the maps. The randomization is simple - Column A is this function: =rand()  it places a random number 0-1 into column A. This number changes anytime something is edited on the document (including pressing the sort button). The maps are on column B. I highlight both columns and sort from lowest to highest by column A. Bam, randomized. I then take the top map and move it over, then re randomize again. repeat until all matches have a map.

I'm pretty sure you can watch me randomize it by clicking the link while I'm editing it. We can make a pre-SCS event out of it if you guys want.

I feel this is important because A) I'll be playing in SCS and I want transparency, B) it allows me to receive informative feedback, and C) it makes the entire process more interactive.

Now, onto the issue of the bracket.

Currently, the website works as intended (though I still need the information for it *hint hint person I'm not gonna call out :P*). However, I remember a post (I couldn't find it) where the organizer stated that, while it was a random bracket, he would purposefully alter it based on a team's relative experience with SCS. This meant that he would typically make it so newer teams initialy faced eachother. I'll stop trying to be politically correct now. He tried to make it so teams didn't get completley stomped on the first match.

My problem with this is that it is totally biased, situational, and has too many variables to count. Overall it makes sense (and is definitetly in good taste), but how do I transparently and without (too much) grey area, swap teams around? Furthermore, how do I, as an organizer, alter these things in a fair manner? I can't. Altering the bracket, especially since I'll be participating in SCS as a player, is kinda fucked up.

Unless you have an idea on how to do it.

I might start a scoring system and utilize the last 10 SCS to get it started. If you have a fix for it, an idea, anything, lemme know.  I have a channel specifically for this kind of stuff in the discord. Maybe posting it here is better though - such as this post since its so long / detailed or w/e

Thanks for reading.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2017, 02:55:52 am by Solidusbucket »

Offline Lianxiang Ban

• Salutes: 0
    • [QTPC]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2017, 09:55:50 am »
While I don't intend to participate myself, I am an inveterate fly-on-the-wall and must point out that the Discord link you posted leads to an "invalid or expired" message.

Offline Solidusbucket

• [SkBo]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2017, 10:57:01 am »
One of them does. The other 4 should work. Ill contact a mod about it.

Offline Solidusbucket

• [SkBo]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2017, 07:50:38 pm »
https://discord.gg/wSz5TFf

There is the updated discord link. I think I figured out how to work this thing.

Sorry about the issues.

Offline Solidusbucket

• [SkBo]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2017, 11:16:39 pm »
https://www.twitch.tv/sapphiresage

SapphireSage has volunteered to cast.

Offline Solidusbucket

• [SkBo]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2017, 05:16:42 am »
This is an early reminder about daylight savings time change happening NEXT WEEK in Merica (and myabe other places) on March 12th.

Sunday, March 12th, at 2am the clocks in the United States will go forward one hour. This will mean that SCS will start at 4pm EDT.
SCS will still start at 8pm UTC on March 12th. This is because Europe does not swap their clocks until Sunday, March 26th.

On Sunday, March 26th, at 1am, the clocks in (most) of Europe will move forward one hour. This will mean that SCS will start at 7PM UTC.

This means on March 26th SCS will start at 3pm EDT (the normal time)

(most) Europeans should not see a change to the start time of SCS.

Ill remind everyone again on subsequent posts.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2017, 05:27:07 am by Solidusbucket »

Offline Captain Scrobeard

• Salutes: 11
    • [ooc]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2017, 06:27:48 am »

The ECT-Co signing up.
Contacts: Captain Scrobeard, Mirwen
(Sorry for the late signup)

Offline Solidusbucket

• [SkBo]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2017, 02:44:54 pm »