Author Topic: Some love for the color-deficient  (Read 4386 times)

Offline Colonel Panic

• Salutes: 0
    • View Profile
Some love for the color-deficient
« on: May 10, 2013, 08:14:45 am »
The enemy ship colors are either a muted red or a muted blue. To someone like myself who is red-green color deficient, the muted red is a little closer to grey, and the muted blue isn't all that far away. There's no problem when the captain has spotted a ship and there's a box around it, but I find it extremely difficult to distinguish unmarked ship colors.

Please consider adding an option to turn on some sort of visual cue to better distinguish friend and foe.

Thanks!

Offline Moo

• Salutes: 15
    • View Profile
Re: Some love for the color-deficient
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2013, 08:51:45 am »
In the Labyrinth map at least, the red on ships is very dark, and difficult to distinguish from the dark blue, even without vision problems. Maybe that's part of the theme for that map though?
And as for the boxes, anyone with a spyglass can spot enemy ships, it doesn't need to be the captain, so that may help the OP.

Offline HamsterIV

• Salutes: 328
    • View Profile
    • Monkey Dev
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2013, 12:13:15 pm »
The entire crew is responsible for marking (putting white boxes around) targets. Even for those of us who can differentiate between color telling friend from foe at first glance is pretty hard. One trick I have learned is looking at the map, if the ship is not marked but visible on the map you know it is friendly. Also since hit boxes will only show on hostile ships you could pepper the ship in question with a bullet or two to verify its loyalty. If all else fails just ask your cremates.

As a captain I ask my crew if a ship is friendly or not all the time. Chances are one out of the tree people on your crew will have a spyglass and not have color deficiency. It is also a good way to start inter crew communication.
Captain: Verify goldfish north east is friendly
Crewman: Yes he is friendly
Captain: thanks

or

Captain: Verify goldfish north east is friendly
Crewman: Goldfish is hostile, Goldfish is hostile
Captain: Crap! front guns engage
Captain (Captain Chat): Contact hostile Goldfish North East of my position, engaging.

Offline Colonel Panic

• Salutes: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2013, 06:39:47 pm »
thanks for the reply; I was unclear on whether this is the way it's supposed to be or not.