Author Topic: Cloud thing  (Read 5752 times)

Offline Solidusbucket

• Salutes: 93
    • [SkBo]
    • View Profile
Cloud thing
« on: January 24, 2017, 09:08:43 pm »
Can we get something like tar cloud but not tar cloud?

LIke, it just releases a plum of cloud that does not damage enemies? I know you have thought about this before. I guess this is just a discusstion thread to consider the possibilities of such at thing.

Probably wouldn't work well with Alliance but would work with Skirmish.

Offline ShadedExalt

• Salutes: 76
    • [♫]
    • View Profile
Re: Cloud thing
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2017, 09:42:20 pm »
Like a smoke screen that doesn't damage enemies?

I could see the use.

Bigger cloud and less self damaging than Tar, maybe even have it be continuous until you swap off of the tool.

Offline Unarmed Civilian

• Salutes: 12
    • [◥ɸ◤]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2017, 09:46:53 pm »
Probably wouldn't work well with Alliance but would work with Skirmish.

It won't work in Alliance at all. Devs admitted that they see through clouds. My own personal experience can confirm.

They should still add it though. People have been wanting something like this for a while and it opens up new possibilities for sniping and general evasion. I can personally see Mobulas, Spires, and Squids using it.

Offline Solidusbucket

• [SkBo]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2017, 10:00:28 pm »
Yea, I figured it didn't work in Alliance.

It isn't hard to figure out, honestly. It would still be a nice feature for Skirmish. I'm just not sure the game can handle it.

I'm a big fan of dynamic environments.

Offline Richard LeMoon

• Muse Games
  • Salutes: 284
    • [Muse]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2017, 10:23:51 pm »
It does sort of work in Alliance. Ai will always shoot at you if you are in line of sight, but will stop following you if you become un-spotted. The boss ship on Retrieve is a good example of this.

Offline Naoura

• Salutes: 25
    • [Sass]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2017, 12:22:39 am »
Idea I had a while ago, but didn't post.

Steam Vent: Active ability that creates a 1500 meter friendly cloud around the ship as it flies, but comes at a -70% thrust from all engines. Vision is obscured normally for both enemies and allies. Requires 3 seconds to form and to dissipate after activating.

The idea here is stealth, creating a cloud to hide in at either an ambush location or for attempting to survive after an ally falls. The obstruction of vision affects both the enemy and your own ship, requiring communication between captains in order to set up an effective ambush. This would encourage communication and strategy between allies, as well as creating a very interesting dynamic when attempting to escape. The extremely slow speed a ship would be forced to would cut it's maneuverability drastically, meaning that a ship could not simply vanish into the steam and race across the map.

Now, direct counter to it would be the flare gun, as it would completely eliminate the cloud and make the ambush a failure. That, and randomly shooting clouds, but primarily the flare gun.

For coding purposes, I figured you could have the cloud center on the hull repair point of the ship, as that would center it around a majority of ships as well as be somewhat lore-friendly (the main internal engine of the ship being dedicated to steam production, cutting power to engines).

Offline Solidusbucket

• [SkBo]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2017, 08:57:10 am »
How about a hard cover that could be deployed?

Someone mentioned a shield for alliance. Be neat to have a pilot tool that drops a shield 100 meters in front of ship that blocks bullets but not ships. Maybe the shield destroys the hull on activation