Author Topic: How About a Hydra Howitzer.  (Read 6391 times)

Offline Kestril

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 24
    • [Sass]
    • View Profile
How About a Hydra Howitzer.
« on: January 20, 2017, 03:01:03 pm »
Hydra Howitzer

Heavy Weapon
Clip Size: 1
Reload Time: ~20-30 seconds (very long)
Primary Damage: Explosive
Secondary Damage: Piercing.
Projectile type: Projectile.
Damage: 350HP (Primary), 350HP (Secondary)
Arcs: Narrow
Gun Turn Speed: Slow.
Projectile speed: Medium.
Range: Very Long

The hydra howitzer is a high-skill, high-risk weapon that will be unique in it's ability to deal with both the armor of an airship and it's permahull. However, it's limited clip size, long reload, makes it only able to deal with one or the other. Lots of teamwork will be required to make this hard-to-use, but devastating gun work.

IIRC, the mechanics in GOIO mean that when armor drops, the rest of the damage from the projectile isn't applied to the hull. I thought I'd play around with this mechanical thing to make a gun that can deal with both hull and armor, but due to a long reload, only one at a time.  It's an idea to make a potential gun mirror the old heavy flak and set up some fun loch kills, but also give it weakness enough to be exploited and played around.  As it stands, you'd get more killpower out of the heavy flak with it's four shots, and more consistent armor piercing out of a hades cannon. This weapon is just meant to satisfy:

A: A heavy gun that does piercing damage
B: A heavy gun that works like the old flak

I was a little conservative on the damage numbers, but that is due to the massive burst potential of the gun as well as loch or charged shot being used to up the damage substantially. Sure, galleons could take two and risk it all, but they'd have no disable and very little area presence after firing off their broadside.

Anyways. I thought I'd drop this on the forum just to see the reception of such a weapon.

« Last Edit: January 20, 2017, 03:03:11 pm by Kestril »

Offline Richard LeMoon

• Muse Games
  • Salutes: 284
    • [Muse]
    • View Profile
Re: How About a Hydra Howitzer.
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2017, 09:26:50 pm »
Ooops. responded to the wrong thread somehow.

Interesting. Two of them on a Galleon could take out armor then kill. Long reloads tend to get tedious, though.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2017, 09:30:41 pm by Richard LeMoon »

Offline Naoura

• Salutes: 25
    • [Sass]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2017, 10:09:56 pm »
Not to be a bother... but could you look at a different name for it? I had a weapon posted on here a while ago with a similar name, just a different concpet: https://gunsoficarus.com/community/forum/index.php/topic,7959.msg132051.html#msg132051

I like the overall concept, though with that massive an arming time, damage and projectile speeds need to be upgraded pretty severely. I remember Richard had something he was working on, the Atlas, that was supposed to fill a similar role.

Perhaps make yours more of a gun, rather than a howitzer? More of a flat trajectory and high-velocity, with significant damage and a longer reload?

Offline Naoura

• [Sass]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2017, 09:28:48 pm »
... Juuuust relized I said arming time instead of reload. My mistake.

Offline Kestril

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 24
    • [Sass]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2017, 07:50:14 pm »
Interesting. Two of them on a Galleon could take out armor then kill. Long reloads tend to get tedious, though.

I like the overall concept, though with that massive an arming time, damage and projectile speeds need to be upgraded pretty severely. I remember Richard had something he was working on, the Atlas, that was supposed to fill a similar role.

Perhaps make yours more of a gun, rather than a howitzer? More of a flat trajectory and high-velocity, with significant damage and a longer reload?

Yeah, I'm thinking that may make it a bit more approachable. I don't want to up the damage anymore because having a weapon that is ALWAYS a 1-shot isn't terribly fun to play AGAINST.

Yeah, I took the feedback and had a think on how to make the reloads a bit more bearable and make the gun a bit more fun.

Jupiter Heavy Gun
Heavy Weapon
Clip Size: 2
Reload Time: ~18 seconds*
Primary Damage: Explosive
Secondary Damage: Piercing.
Projectile type: Projectile.
Damage: 300HP (Primary), 300HP (Secondary)
Arcs: Narrow
Gun Turn Speed: Slow.
Projectile speed: Fast (Between a light flak and a mercury field gun)
Range: Very Long

*Upon firing, the Gun will gain eight stacks of fire if not loaded with heatsink ammo.

The idea is to allow it a shorter reload for less tedium and not spike the damage too high, but still require a limiting mechanism that requires teamwork to use. The gunner will have to coordinate with the engineer to shoot at the maxium fire rate, and the engineer will have to make sure to extinguish the weapon when the clip empties. Of course, this gun still has a lot of options, as loch ammo is an option if captians want a burst-y shot, but that will eat into the total clip damage an ammo like heatsink may provide.

Offline Naoura

• [Sass]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2017, 10:52:25 pm »
I think there's been talk of automatic fire damage for a long, long time, and it's been kind of mixed. Not sure if it's a good direction