Main > Gameplay

Exclusively using Burst in the Heavy Hwatcha?

(1/4) > >>

Corporal Ravioli:
I've been witnessing a lot of captains/crew mates insist that Burst ammunition is in fact the ONLY ammunition type that ought to be used in the Manticore Heavy Hwatcha. While I typically agree, especially at medium/close combat, I have to say that I completely disagree with this assertion, and that it holds the Manticore back from its full potential.

If I am running Engineer and expect to man a Hwatcha, I will ALWAYS take Burst. However, when playing as a Gunner and can afford the ammo slot, I will typically run Burst/Heavy Clip. It's amazing how many middle-high level players have straight-up scoffed at this notion, insisting that if you're not shooting Burst, get off the gun, get off the ship, log off, uninstall.

Why is this the case? Heavy Clip shots maintain their grouping for a considerable distance when volleyed from a reasonably stable platform, which has been invaluable for standing ground against middle-long range vessels, approaching brawlers, and special circumstances. Yes, you don't get as many rounds, and you don't get the AoE boost, but a crack shot will be pulling Engineers and Gunners off their jobs, and will possibly spook the Captain for the Burst volley that'll come if they get any closer. Especially at range, this warning shot is basically "free money" considering the reload time of the weapon. Why there are Captains that prefer one volley over two, I will truly never understand.

Am I just on the wrong end of a Captain issuing a blanket recommendation? What's going on here?

Atruejedi:
I think it comes down to how the pilot flies whichever ship is equipped with the Hwacha.

On a Galleon, Heavy Clip is a great supplemental ammo after Burst because you're never really sure at what range you'll be engaging. If paired with a Heavy Flak and a Gatling Gun, for example, the Hwacha on a Galleon can absolutely benefit from Heavy Clip when engaged at medium ranges. The problem is... if there's a Gunner on that Galleon, he/she is most likely using those multiple ammo slots to take Greased/Lesmok/Burst to make the Heavy Flak easier to fire and to address arming time. Because of this, the poor ol' Hwacha doesn't even get a chance to use Heavy Clip. "But what if you have Quad-Hwacha Galleon, Atruejedi?" Well, if you have even a single side stacked with more than one Hwacha, why bother engaging the enemy at anything more than point-blank range? So, again, Heavy Clip is rendered moot, even when carried by that Quad-Hwacha Galleon Gunner.

On a Spire, you have a situation similar to the one described in the previous paragraph. If your Spire pilot is taking a Hwacha, what are his/her other three light guns? Usually you'll end up with at least one Gatling (and more likely two), which is a closer range gun, even when paired with Lesmok... so, yes, while Heavy Clip can and will, on occasion, actually be loaded into a Hwacha on a Spire, it's a rare occurrence.

With a Goldfish, however, some pilots (myself included) insist on loading Burst because of the flanking potential and devastation the Burst-loaded Hwacha can have upon an unsuspecting enemy. There's no point in hitting them from afar with Heavy Clip if it's just going to alert them to your presence, fire fewer rockets, and have less AoE spread. It pays to wait until you're close enough to give them a punch in the gut with the Burst Hwacha.

Just another reason for Muse to #NerfBurst by removing the clip increase ;D That way, players might actually be encouraged to use other ammos in weapons like the Hwacha and Artemis.

Or, perhaps Heavy Clip needs an ever-so-slight buff by not reducing the clip size as much. Even a 5% change would help.

BlackenedPies:
Heavy clip has a limited use at longer range. The risk is that you'll still be reloading at burst range, or use too much stamina. There are situations where an initial heavy clip gives you an advantage, and ideally there'd be no risk of losing the right-timed burst shot should you miss the initial disable

An alternative to gunner with heavy clip is spanner mallet buff burst engi. Buffed burst increases range through increased damage, and the spanner mallet give full repair power - which is especially useful on heavy guns. A well timed mallet can be the difference between winning or losing your gun and the engagement

Solidusbucket:
I have experimented with heavy clip vs burst.

Heavy clip is good when their armor is down. However, the timing is difficult to pull off when receiving fire. Also, hard to hit if the enemy is moving.

Burst, even at range, is preferred for me. Even when half the clip misses with burst it still gets more disables than heavy clip. This is my personal experience and attempts at using heavy clip as both gunner and pilot in various scenarios, ships, and levels of play.

Schwalbe:
Depends on the captain you are flying with and on the map frankly.

1. If the map is Canyon Ambush, Paritan or Labirynth, there hardly ever will be situations in which you would benefit from heavy rounds, simply because there isn't much space to actually gain such distance the burst isn't the best choice.

2. If your captain says he needs burst, he probably means he want to engage on close distance mostly. (assuming it's not a moron)

3. Burst are somewhat easier to hit moving ships with, due to the huge spread.

However, why I think a gunner that exclusively mans the hwacha should always have heavy at his disposal, even after that fucking heavy nerf (seriously I'm still salty):

1. Sometimes the situation needs that heavy weapon to stay fucking down after the salvo. Putting every single rocket in the clip there is usually good way to do so (tell me that I fucking suck, but I could count and count situations in which I unloaded hwacha at enemy not to bring his heavy guns down with burst. -_- ).

2. "Hwacha duel". When two goldfishes open burst hwacha fire to disable each other fronts at the same time, RNG decides who actually fucks up the other gun, with some luck and skill perhaps.
When one of those ships have heavy rounds, he 1) fires his rockets faster (burst has ROF penalty as far as I remember) 2) more of them actually hit that hwacha down 3) thus bringing the gun down faster and minimalizing the number of burst rocket the enemy can fire.

3. You may get on board with captain who doesn't exactly know how hwacha is being used, or just cowardly enough to keep too much distance.

Unfortunately after heavy nerf, heavy rounds became somewhat situational type of ammo, instead of viable option I'm affraid.

Also I ain't no expert, I can speak bullshit.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version