Author Topic: Better Faction population balancing.  (Read 3996 times)

Offline Richard LeMoon

• Muse Games
  • Salutes: 284
    • [Muse]
    • View Profile
Better Faction population balancing.
« on: January 16, 2017, 01:37:54 pm »
Faction population balance is an issue right now. The map mechanics tries to balance higher populations be increasing number of points needed to attack/defend a territory. From my experience as a Leader of the Anglean Republic (2x pop of next faction, 10x pop of lowest faction), this is not working very well. So, here is a brainstorming thread for improving that aspect.

I think a better idea than a passive point increase to take lands would be to actively encourage players to switch to lower population factions. There are several ways to do this. A well tested example is Planetside 2.

1. PS2 way. Increase experience gain for lower population factions. This may be the single best idea for balancing out newer, low level players. It also makes sense from a lore point of view. It is much easier to stand out and advance in a small army than in a massive one. It would have little effect on high level faction members, though would be unfair to diehard low level faction members. Let's look at other ways.

2. Instead of increasing effort needed to take a land, reduce the amount of deploy points given per match. This is essentially the same thing as now, but presented in a different way that will encourage movement between factions in a more proactive way. If you see you need 1,000,000 points instead of 100,000 to take a land, most players do not really pay attention. Some may, in fact, see it as a challenge. However, if you keep every attack/defense at an equal 100,000, and add a visual -90% points gained for faction overpopulation to the match end screens and World map itself, people will flock to another faction even though the end math produces the exact same result. This also makes sense(ish) from a lore point a view, as a larger army takes much more effort just to keep itself running and supplied.

3. other things...?

Offline ShadedExalt

• Salutes: 76
    • [♫]
    • View Profile
Re: Better Faction population balancing.
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2017, 02:20:02 pm »
Why not both?

I don't have any concrete ideas right now that I can share, but I will express my support