Author Topic: Considering a map pick phase for competitive GOIO  (Read 15342 times)

Offline Guagadu

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 16
    • [Grim]
    • View Profile
    • Guagadu: Twitch
Re: Considering a map pick phase for competitive GOIO
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2017, 11:04:26 pm »
What if instead of removing maps from the pool to make it odd-numbered we add maps instead? This could be done by either Jedi-spamming Muse with a variation of #AdaptTheMaps until they decide to add or adapt a 2v2 deathmatch map, or accepting other gamemodes to play on top of just deathmatch. I would be really interested to see how a KOTH or VIP (not Skyball though - that doesn't seem balanced enough) competitive match would play out compared to a standard DM. Though yes, this would essentially mean Paritan has a higher chance to be picked than any other map, the difference in gameplay between KOTH and DM could be enough to justify the similar map.

Also, back to the topic of map picking itself. Right now this is quite difficult to initially set up, from a referee's perspective. The referee could ask a couple players per team to enter a crew form or lobby with them, or use some third-party client for this. What I would like to see if give the referee, basically the person who sets up the lobby, power to change the maps, or players to potentially vote-change the map. This would help a lot in tournaments in general, not just with a pick/ban.

Offline Urz

• Salutes: 75
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2017, 11:59:52 pm »
I find it surprising that anyone involved in competitive Guns of Icarus would pass on the chance to remove some maps, given that there are several which are widely hated and/or produce awful matches.

I think the idea of classifying maps is unnecessary.  Instead, group maps into pods.

Your idea would still require maps to be "classified" so that balanced pods could be created.

Mostly what I'm hearing is that you guys don't want to do the work of gathering community census or take any sort of stance on map balance.

Nut up.

Offline Lysanya

• Salutes: 18
    • [Sass]
    • View Profile
    • Lysanya's Twitch Channel
« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2017, 08:26:16 pm »
Your idea would still require maps to be "classified" so that balanced pods could be created.

I never called for balanced pods.  I am completely fine with imbalanced pods.  Nothing wrong with having a Canyon/Paritan/(insert 3rd map here) week, as it would make for an exciting viewing experience for the casual viewer or potential future GoI comp participant.

Mostly what I'm hearing is that you guys don't want to do the work of gathering community census or take any sort of stance on map balance.

Nut up.

Chaos ponders your request for consensus.

In all seriousness though, I think map balance is completely unnecessary at the SCS level of competitive play, but I'm definitely OK with map bans, as long as the list of maps is reduced to 3-5 maps in total pre-tournament and changed each week.  That said, none of it matters if tournament organizers don't want it.  At least for now, your argument for map picks/bans, balance, etc is probably best directed at them.

Offline Urz

• Salutes: 75
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2017, 09:32:17 pm »
The problem with open forum threads is that people just throw out ideas without any rhyme or reason, completely unable to explain what the actual benefit or logic is behind the systems being suggested. It's the same reason we end up with so many overdesigned events—organizers think every new idea that pops into their head is a good one.

The point of this thread was to gather information on what we as a community think the level of impact of random map rolls on competitive matches is, such that an informed decision can be made. Not randomly throwing shit against the wall to see what sticks.

Therefore, I think this thread has run its course. It served as a good discussion starter, but the private conversations I've had on the subject have been much more productive.