Author Topic: #restorethesquid  (Read 17670 times)

Offline Cavalcante

• Salutes: 1
    • [ƬɌ]
    • View Profile
#restorethesquid
« on: December 18, 2016, 03:36:54 am »
MUSE recent squid nerf has killed the ship for proper competitive play.  With the decreased hull HP, and the slightly increased armour, the squid is not only incapable of sustaining fire (it was never capable of sustaining fire), and impossible to effectively repair and maintain outside of the most simple low level lobby.

When the hull drops, we have had three players on top of the hull spamming spanner rebuilds and the ship still explodes before a full cycle can rebuild the armour.  The squid has always been a flimsy ship, but this is absurd.  Everyone who has flown this ship, and actively plays this game, knows what I am talking about.  We have discussed this ad nauseum in lobbies, and everyone agrees: restore the squid to what it was before this recent nerf.

If you really think that these changes are beneficial, leave an answer explaining why.  If you think we need to #restorethesquid, post a comment that supports this noble endeavour.

-- Cav.

Offline Dementio

• Salutes: 135
    • [Rydr]
    • View Profile
Re: #restorethesquid
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2016, 06:37:31 am »
MUSE recent squid nerf has killed the ship for proper competitive play.
We literally had Mobula and Squid win against Mobula and Fish in yesterday's tournament.

Offline Cavalcante

• Salutes: 1
    • [ƬɌ]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2016, 06:48:15 am »
Who did you play against?  I am still winning matches with it, to be sure, but the nerf came out of left field and I have yet to meet a single person in the game who actually believes that it was a good decision.  The ship was perfectly fine before the recent nerf.

Offline Dementio

• Salutes: 135
    • [Rydr]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2016, 08:29:20 am »
Sundstrom and xedeon. The ship wasn't "perfectly fine" before the nerf, it had too much hull for its speed. Way too much. Although I would argue that its current hull health is a bit too little and it could do with a 100hp more, the armor change does make a difference. As some other known Squid pilot told me and that I could confirm when I tried myself on it again: With a bit more armor, it can stay in the engagement just that little bit longer as well, doing more damage to enemy ships. With the Squid's speed and manouverbility it is more than capable of going in and out of engagements as it desires. Having more time to do damage before losing armor just makes it more dangerous and a decrease in hull health only emphasizes its hit and run tactic while punishing careless flying.

Offline The Mann

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 146
    • [Cake]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2016, 08:56:21 am »
I dont mind the squid changes, I hear different opinions in game, it's like marmite - some love, some hate.

Personally, I love squids, I rarely use them but when I do, I have a lot of fun with them. The new changes met me with mixed feelings but I look at it like this; I have to be more careful about my play styles now. This is a fresh change for me as I used to just sit there with a gat banshee until they made fireworks but now I have to ensure I don't get thrown off my ship by engineers...  -  A feat which is harder than it looks.

Offline BlackenedPies

• Salutes: 134
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2016, 03:12:44 pm »
The biggest nerf was removing the ability to walk through the struts at the back near rear gun, a fool proof way of getting to the bottom engine without jumping or fear of screw ups

Offline Fynx

• Salutes: 30
    • [Rydr]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2016, 04:17:25 pm »
it could do with a 100hp more, the armor change does make a difference.

I'd say 200hp, instakills by environment are no joke.

The biggest nerf was removing the ability to walk through the struts at the back near rear gun, a fool proof way of getting to the bottom engine without jumping or fear of screw ups

I'm still curious as to what was the idea behind this change. The only thing that comes to my mind is to increase the level ceiling of squid engineer so good engineering / control over fluent movement is something to work on for players.

Offline MightyKeb

• Salutes: 78
    • [GwTh]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2016, 04:20:59 pm »

I'm still curious as to what was the idea behind this change. The only thing that comes to my mind is to increase the level ceiling of squid engineer so good engineering / control over fluent movement is something to work on for players.

Balance:

Squid
  • Increased hull armor to 335 (from 230) so that it requires an additional rebuild hit with the Spanner
  • Decreased hull health to 450 (from 950) to address complaints about tankiness and maintain the design goal of “nimble but weak”

And despite that, it's tanky as hell right up the moment where the armor breaks. Then it's tinfoil paper time.

Offline Richard LeMoon

• Muse Games
  • Salutes: 284
    • [Muse]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2016, 09:47:09 pm »
Restore it only if a bit of hull is added to the front of the balloon. No more balloon ramming torpedo Squids.

Offline Daft Loon

• Salutes: 47
    • [◕_◕]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2016, 10:08:07 pm »
Which ships were people successfully targeting with squid rams? (outside of the perfect opportunities where anything vs anything ramming works)
I've never noticed it being a problem.

Offline MightyKeb

• [GwTh]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2016, 07:00:03 am »
Which ships were people successfully targeting with squid rams? (outside of the perfect opportunities where anything vs anything ramming works)
I've never noticed it being a problem.

I think mostly spires and in some rare cases, mobulas. It's usually a bad idea to damage-ram anything else apart from other squids.

Offline Squidslinger Gilder

• Salutes: 287
    • [TBB]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2016, 11:35:17 pm »
I agree, restore the Squid...back to 1.1 standards!!

If you are gonna nerf the hell out of it's HP, buff the hell out of it's agility and speed! That is how it worked. Pilots either got better or rage quit when they flew a squid back then! If you can't handle the speed or the chance to spontaneously combust when you nick the paint, get out of the game! :D

Offline BlackenedPies

• Salutes: 134
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2016, 11:06:10 am »
I'd like to see turning accel buffed, making it easier to use without phoenix claw. It has four turning engines

Offline Atruejedi

• Salutes: 64
    • [❤❤❤]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2016, 02:49:35 pm »
I'd like to see turning accel buffed, making it easier to use without phoenix claw. It has four turning engines

Yes, please. Float like a butterfly, die like a butterfly.

Offline MightyKeb

• [GwTh]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2016, 04:55:30 pm »

I support this. Anytime I don't take claw on squid I treat it like a fast pyra.