Author Topic: Its about time we revived the comp scene  (Read 12781 times)

Offline Hoja Lateralus

• Salutes: 135
    • [ψ꒜]
    • View Profile
Re: Its about time we revived the comp scene
« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2016, 02:39:53 pm »
Keb

What I meant was:
Given
         E - organising competetive events
         P - low player population
         D - bad design
People think ~E -> P
I think (D -> P) -> ~E
So basically what Schwalbe said. I can't make it any clearer.

I don't go to events because that would require treating GOIO seriously. Also time limitations and inability to recruit people I play with into a competetive team. And I just don't want to, *shrugs*. In my opinion it doesn't make my observations and opinions about the game any less valid. To me explaining bad design, just read my posts. In short, from top of my head: unnecessarily complex but with very few meaningful choices, lack of content, Dunes, un-fun-ness of an engineer which makes for over 50% population, imbalanced, the one guy problem Schwalbe mentioned, puts emphasis on loadouts rather than skill. Also GOIO is a bit "fundamentally problematic", lets' say, because of its basic gameplay assumptions, for instance ships having 4 crew members or again the idea for engineer gameplay. Countless people go "so I just... bang the things on the ship...? that's.... it?".

So anyway, yeah, I'm critisizing the idea, that if we'll get some newbie events, goio will come back to life. On the other hand I also think that some tournament for "young blood" (as I said, for people below 500 or 1000 matches played) is generally a good idea and I've suggested it a while ago.

Urz has a fair point, how GOIO can gain a competetive focus when devs move their resources to work on PvE mode and are planning crossplay between pc and consoles, which I guarantee you is going to cause a shitload of issues for both sides.