Author Topic: End of match to Lobby UI proposals. IN VIDEO FORM!  (Read 11300 times)

Offline Richard LeMoon

• Muse Games
  • Salutes: 284
    • [Muse]
    • View Profile
End of match to Lobby UI proposals. IN VIDEO FORM!
« on: November 06, 2016, 09:07:39 pm »
Click me.

This uses the style and screenshot bits of the upcoming UI for most elements other than the map vote screen. Everything is just a placeholder to show the desired layout and functionality, so judge the function over the form.

Discuss.

Offline Solidusbucket

• Salutes: 93
    • [SkBo]
    • View Profile
Re: End of match to Lobby UI proposals. IN VIDEO FORM!
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2016, 09:34:26 pm »
"Dunes is worst map. Stop voting for it"

So, are they paying you? They should be paying you. This is awesome.

Do this. . . Muse. You fucks.

Offline Daft Loon

• Salutes: 47
    • [◕_◕]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2016, 10:22:00 pm »
Better than the current lobby, better than the dev app lobby, saves half the time spent on the map vote and end of match screen.

100% in favor of this.

Offline Atruejedi

• Salutes: 64
    • [❤❤❤]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2016, 01:40:21 am »
Brilliant. Doing God's work... or, at least, Muse's ;)

I still want the tip box on the lobby screen, dammit.

Offline Omniraptor

• Salutes: 51
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2016, 03:23:26 am »
Really good suggestions :D I have some nitpicks but overall the look of the buttons and other ui elements is amazing, clean and consistent.

May I ask how you made these mockups, how long did it take, what tools, etc?
« Last Edit: November 07, 2016, 03:25:34 am by Omniraptor »

Offline Richard LeMoon

• Muse Games
    • [Muse]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2016, 07:09:37 am »
Mostly Gimp with screenshots. The buttons and most UI elements are primarily taken from screenshots of Devapp that I chopped up and moved around. I had to duplicate some and redo the text. The Ready and Leave Lobby buttons, for example. I assembled the voiceover, video clips, and images in Blender video editor, which is not really ideal, but I wanted to see how it worked. It turned out to be pretty tedious, and I'll likely use something else if I make another video like this. My previous UI video (for workshop) was completely assembled in Blender Game Engine and was a recording of me actually using the menu.

I worked on it on and off for about half a day, though it is hard to tell exactly how long since Gimp crashed at one point and corrupted the file.

There is room for the tip box just over the Map expand button. I forgot about adding one.

Offline Hoja Lateralus

• Salutes: 135
    • [ψ꒜]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2016, 11:36:19 am »
MUSE, MAKE THIS HAPPEN

I mean, come on! For instance the map voting should've been moved to the end game screen years ago. Let's e-mail the shit out of them guys. LET'S MAKE GUNS OF ICARUS GREAT AGAIN!

RICHARD YOU MAGNIFICENT BEAST
« Last Edit: November 07, 2016, 11:39:39 am by Hoja Lateralus »

Offline Unarmed Civilian

• Salutes: 12
    • [◥ɸ◤]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2016, 04:20:01 pm »
This is the kind of prototype they should be making internally before going through the mess of implementation. Very nice. The changing objective/tip text is also a great change.

You brought back the public build player list to the lobby, which makes much more sense to me, personally as well. The spectator slots also look better than the public build, and less like seats for royalty like the current dev app.

The large background of the map and the actual map are also great improvements over both builds.

I'm not 100% sure about being forced to stare at a map vote for a minute unless it ends early if everyone votes. I personally like the ability to talk about the match in lobby shortly after it ends. Maybe an option to return to lobby view after voting?

As for Dunes being an awful map, I think if it had more cloud cover it would be better, but I think it's a healthy option to have. Maybe not so much in competitive unless they give people the option to vote or ban maps. Like Final Destination in Smash Bros.

Offline Atruejedi

• Salutes: 64
    • [❤❤❤]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2016, 05:53:03 pm »
I'm not 100% sure about being forced to stare at a map vote for a minute unless it ends early if everyone votes. I personally like the ability to talk about the match in lobby shortly after it ends. Maybe an option to return to lobby view after voting?

Well, shit. I hadn't thought of this either. I do enjoy post-match banter and ribaldry and would be sad if it were diminished. GOI is largely social and while a reduction in Lobbies of Icarus would be an overall good thing, I think this would be an unfortunate side-effect of Richard's proposed UI changes. Perhaps once you've voted, you have the option to go directly back to the lobby (and an icon near or graying of your name will indicate you have yet to return) or simply stay "in-game" to admire your statistics?

Offline Huskarr

• Salutes: 29
    • [Rydr]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2016, 06:06:58 pm »
Simple sollution to the Map voting problem with the post match banter. Glue the text chat (the one from in match and not in lobby) into the bottom left corner, right where it is now. There should be just about enough space for it.

Offline Richard LeMoon

• Muse Games
    • [Muse]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2016, 06:28:02 pm »

This was a concern expressed by the devs as well after they watched the video. The 57 seconds was just a random filler I made (you will note it repeats the countdown from 57 to 51. Timer Lorem Ipsum). I watched the end of a match with a timer, and it was 48 seconds from VICTORY/DEFEAT splash to loading into the lobby. Let's remove 8 seconds for the Victory screen. 'Vote passed' screen will no longer be a thing. So we have 40 seconds left before you see your new team, and another 60 seconds to vote for a map (which I would say most people miss). That is a total of 100 seconds before the map is picked. We need to figure out how long the typical map vote would take if it was 'in your face'.

Some people think the end screen takes too long all together for just stats and a rematch vote and just want to get to the next match. Some people have expressed the opposite and desire to look at their stats longer, so I may have a thought on that. And you have others like you that want to chat with your new team. I know I am one of those players that waits until I see the map choice before I even start deciding on a ship. I think I can come up with something. The map vote I made takes care of the first concern of stats and rematch vote taking too long. Stats people could have the option to access their stats while in lobby. In fact, that could be expanded quite a bit. Chatting with your new team is an issue that needs a workaround. I have a few ideas on that that I will have to ponder over.

All together, we are looking at a decrease of at least 40 seconds from end of match to lobby with map already voted (Adding 20 seconds to the current). Perhaps as much as 50 seconds, cutting wait time in half. And you get more maps to vote for.

As for Dunes being an awful map, I think if it had more cloud cover it would be better, but I think it's a healthy option to have. Maybe not so much in competitive unless they give people the option to vote or ban maps. Like Final Destination in Smash Bros.

That was a little joke to illustrate how quickly and noticeable a changing objectives ticker would be. Mission accomplished. :D

I wonder how many people noticed the 'second' Canyon map. ;)

As for the chat, I did not add the visual, but it is still there, since it is the same 'vanishing' chat you have ingame and on the stats. You would have another 10-20 seconds of that. An option to see the next ship lineup might be in order as well.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2016, 06:31:34 pm by Richard LeMoon »

Offline Arturo Sanchez

• Salutes: 119
    • [AI]
    • View Profile
    • My spaghetti channel
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2016, 08:17:18 pm »
very streamline design

thats the one in the year you get from me moon.

Offline Richard LeMoon

• Muse Games
    • [Muse]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2016, 07:06:36 pm »
Any other comments on this?

Offline Solidusbucket

• Salutes: 93
    • [SkBo]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2016, 07:37:39 pm »
Any other comments on this?

Yea, it's fucking tits.

Offline Laeytranger

• Salutes: 2
    • [Grim]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2016, 05:37:32 pm »
As people join the lobby, the box should become red/blue backdrop. It would be a nice visual cue about how many people are in the lobby and break up the wall of white text used at the moment.