Author Topic: game recording  (Read 4855 times)

Offline CogHead

• Salutes: 3
    • [✦✦45]
    • View Profile
game recording
« on: October 12, 2016, 04:40:42 pm »
Something similar to the Source engine's demo recording tool, so matches could be recorded for later replays.
It would help players learn from past matches, maybe if it's on-the-fly, casters could use it for instant replays.

Offline Richard LeMoon

• Muse Games
  • Salutes: 284
    • [Muse]
    • View Profile
Re: game recording
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2016, 05:31:12 pm »
It is possible to add this functionality to Unity games, but you really have to build for it from the ground up. When Guns was a babby, replay was not really a Unity thing. Now there are some plugin assets and such, but I have no idea how hard it would be to add them to existing infrastructure.

Offline Guagadu

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 16
    • [Grim]
    • View Profile
    • Guagadu: Twitch
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2016, 09:05:32 pm »
I emailed Muse about this in April, and the reply I got was that the engineers would have to play around to see what is possible. I would be a HUGE supporter of this feature. This is a key feature of many  competitive games, and would really help everyone involved with the competitive scene in any way. As both a caster and a player, this would be AMAZING! Of course, this is not it's only use.

Offline Schwalbe

• Salutes: 178
    • [ψ꒜]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2016, 06:42:34 am »
...I still would be using OBS. :|

Offline BlackenedPies

• Salutes: 134
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2016, 10:27:45 am »
From my research, it would be exceptionally difficult to add and debug a replay system at this time. It wouldn't be in Muse's best interest to invest in a feature which may not work. There are many recording solutions such as OBS/FRAPS, the Game Bar for Windows 10 (Win+G), and most AMD and NVIDIA cards have dedicated real-time encoders (can be used with OBS)

Offline Richard LeMoon

• Muse Games
  • Salutes: 284
    • [Muse]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2016, 10:45:42 am »
Just to clarify, a replay system records data (object locations, rotations, and scale if needed), not images. This data can then be used to recreate a running game at a later time, so you can spectate it from any angle. If you wanted to make a video out of this, you would still need to use video recording software to capture clips, and video editing software to edit the clips into a full video.

So, let's say there was an epic, game winning flak shot everyone missed because they were watching the other battle. With replay, you can go back to that point and view it from new angles, replay it over and over, pause, rewind, and possibly use bullet cam.

This would also allow Muse to add 'MVP' repays at the end of a match, or post games and free view tutorials for people to watch (while waiting in lobbies).
« Last Edit: October 13, 2016, 10:48:41 am by Richard LeMoon »