Author Topic: Alliance medium weapons?  (Read 10726 times)

Offline Naoura

• Salutes: 25
    • [Sass]
    • View Profile
Alliance medium weapons?
« on: September 28, 2016, 03:45:31 pm »
We have the light weapons for each of the factions, but it's kind of strange to try and follow the same route with heavy weapons for the factions. We know the Baronies love their rocketry, the Chaladonians stick to gas, while both the Angleans and the Guild enjoy energy weapons.

We already have one faction heavy weapon, the Minotaur, which is lore-wise Arashi, but what do you think could be a heavy for the different factions? The Chaladonians I'm having a hard time thinking of any heavy weapon. The Charybdis is practically perfect for them already.

Offline Richard LeMoon

• Muse Games
  • Salutes: 284
    • [Muse]
    • View Profile
Re: Alliance medium weapons?
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2016, 05:26:10 pm »
It still confuses me that four ships centered around heavy weapons were added to Alliance, but no new heavy weapons. Just a bunch of new light weapons that do heavy-level damage.

Offline Naoura

• [Sass]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2016, 10:18:32 pm »
Well, they didn't add the Cloudjumper in the Alpha, and it is light weapons only, so that might be part of the reason. The other part possibly being that heavy weapons would require more art development and animation time, so they didn't add what they had, if they have anything, into the alpha.

Offline Naoura

• [Sass]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2016, 04:32:49 pm »
Had the thought for an Alliance heavy weapon for the Angleans, and one that would be rather lore friendly: A HERF weapon.

A HERF is a high energy radio frequency weapon, which in the most simple terms is a Microwave gun. Anyone who's ever seen those videos on YouTube of people microwaving an iPhone knows exactly what that can do to anything electronic.

Simply port over a few of the mechanics from the Voltaic Coil and possibly the Flamer. A charging weapon that deals higher and higher damage, and has more and more range, the longer you charge it, and when fired sends out a cone-shaped "pulse" that deals fantastic Shatter damage. At low charge, it has shorter range, less damage, but a much, much wider cone, while at higher charges it deals much higher damage and longer range, but has a more narrow cone and requires the enemy to be in juuust the right spot to hit.

Offline Naoura

• [Sass]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2016, 01:47:28 pm »

Offline Echoez

• Salutes: 40
    • [Gent]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2016, 10:47:51 am »
We do need more PvE specific heavy guns. IMO it's time Muse finally introduced some sort of AA-battery heavy gun, especially since it won't be available in PvP anyway so it wouldn't ruin their heavy gun balance.

BRING THE POMPOMS NOW

Offline Naoura

• [Sass]
    • View Profile

Offline Unarmed Civilian

• Salutes: 12
    • [◥ɸ◤]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2016, 07:03:53 pm »
There was a mention somewhere that they wanted to add some kind of heavy gun for Alliance only. I just hope that they don't make too many weapons that are too broken by design to be rebalanced for Skirmish. E.g. tar mortar. I really want them to be able to repurpose assets for Skirmish in the long run, as that is what I come back to this game for.

Offline Echoez

• Salutes: 40
    • [Gent]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2016, 08:58:41 pm »
There was a mention somewhere that they wanted to add some kind of heavy gun for Alliance only. I just hope that they don't make too many weapons that are too broken by design to be rebalanced for Skirmish. E.g. tar mortar. I really want them to be able to repurpose assets for Skirmish in the long run, as that is what I come back to this game for.

Skirmish can't get many more guns without ruining the balance. There's not much left you can do with it and it's why there haven't been almost any new heavy guns for it. I remember ever since I started playing the game years ago there was only 4 heavy guns.. and it was 3 before.. and the only gun we got was the Minotaur, which at least in my opinion anyway, is the single most underwhelming thing.. Maybe it's a good good I wouldn't know, I stopped playing the game around that time after I got to test it a bit, but I was not impressed with it.

The whole way Skirmish works is very restrictive on Heavy guns for it. IMO the Minotaur kinda indicated that Muse is out of ideas on what to do with heavy guns for PvP and we got a weird thing that.. pushes things around and does some piercing damage. I dunno.

I'd like to see guns for ALLIANCE only, without any reservation to actually see them in Skirmish ever, because this gives Muse a lot more freedom on what they do and how they work.

Offline Chrinus

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 10
    • [Gent]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2016, 02:14:35 pm »

I'd have to agree. I see Alliance as a low-stress way to play GoIO and a more forgiving medium for new players to learn the game. Having weapons locked to this mode and not translating into Skirmish will keep potential crew from that mode at the risk of being unfamiliar with what works in that game mode. While fun, we should always be looking to fill all aspects of the game with quality players and by making Alliance and Skirmish be divided by weapons and ships is a step backwards towards making that happen.

As far as medium slot weapons, I feel the restrictions on heavy guns are being looked at incorrectly by many. Introducing strong skill requirements to the heavy cannons rewards both the gunner's skill AND pilot's cooperation and communication between the two. It could also bring that blasted range finder to light for some alternatives to the Lumberjack. For instance, the introduction of medium slot artillery (i.e. Long Tom's, etc). could have a degree indicator and a narrow horizontal arc. Manning the gun you look straight ahead, indicator on the side as your only way to know the angle of the gun, and you need someone to rangefind to deliver an accurate shot (or use your eyes if you're really good) by knowing what arc to fire from. Things like that can bring medium slots to bear a wider range of utility with less restraint based on mechanics, but rather on skill and/or teamwork.

Offline Naoura

• [Sass]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2016, 04:38:45 pm »
I posted this a long time ago, and thought it would make for a really useful change to the rangefinder

http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/library/policy/army/fm/23-34/fig6-8.gif

Basically, it's a binocular reticule, with ranging found on an x-y axis on the bottom right. I had the thought of utilizing the Rangfinder not only to make shots more accurate, but also help teach the arcs of some of the weapons, allowing lower level players to not be as much of a nuisance when they refuse to budge from gunner.

While moving the weapon while another player is using this Rangefinder, the indicators on both the X and Y axes will move in accordance with the turning speed and available arc of the weapon. When in the ideal firing position, the indicators will change to a soft golden color, making it a little more obvious as to when the arc is correct without being overly obnoxious. Only the indicator that is in a proper firing arc will flash, so that finding the X or Y axis would be somewhat independent.

It would help teach the weapon to lower level players, as well as helping higher level players snipe from incredibly long distances, making the rangefinder's lack of an ability to spot worth the risk of bringing it. Extreme distance sniping would be allowable, but still difficult, especially if the Rangefinder still refuses to accept ammunition modifiers.