Author Topic: Rangefinder made into... an actual rangefinder?  (Read 4852 times)

Offline Naoura

• Salutes: 25
    • [Sass]
    • View Profile
Rangefinder made into... an actual rangefinder?
« on: September 22, 2016, 07:29:04 pm »
So, talking very lightly about the Rangefinder and the mostly unexplained and distracting way that it attempts to ‘assist targeting’. The glowing, tightening, target obscuring dots that only succeeds in confusing most and annoying the rest.  This isn’t a discussion of how to fix the Rangefinder, but an alternative to the targeting reticule, shown here.

http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/library/policy/army/fm/23-34/fig6-8.gif

Instead of the tightening reticle that goes inside the reticule, the above axes (Ak-seas, plural of axis, to avoid any axe jokes) would sit outside the targeting reticule and would be a soft white, similar to the color of the reticule itself. On both of these Axes would be the arc in 10 degree intervals, so as to assist in teaching weapon arcs and elevations, and would have an indicator on both, showing where along the arc the weapon is currently at. The actual telling of range would be relocated to the top left rather than the top right, avoiding clutter along the right.

While moving the weapon while another player is using this Rangefinder, the indicators on both the X and Y axes will move in accordance with the turning speed and available arc of the weapon. When in the ideal firing position, the indicators will change to a soft golden color, making it a little more obvious as to when the arc is correct without being overly obnoxious. Only the indicator that is in a proper firing arc will flash, so that finding the X or Y axis would be somewhat independent.

Say, for example, you are manning a Lumberjack, and someone with this modified rangefinder would acquire a ship in the distance. The Lumber’s gunner would slowly increase elevation, watching the Y axis guide on the right to see how elevated his weapon is. When he sees the flash, he would switch to moving along the X axis guide on the bottom to see if he is appropriately aimed. Quickly glancing at the range in order to determine if they are within or outside of arming time, the gunner could fire with relative certainty that the round would hit the target.

Just a thought on a possible fix on how obnoxious the regular rangefinder tends to be. Instead of obscuring the target by closing in and going inside the aiming reticule, the aim assist stays outside and could possibly assist in teaching the arcs of whatever weapon a gunner, or engineer, is using. Any suggestion on it? It’s better than what we’ve got right now, and seems almost a little more period correct or immersive.

Offline Atruejedi

• Salutes: 64
    • [❤❤❤]
    • View Profile
Re: Rangefinder made into... an actual rangefinder?
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2016, 08:09:25 pm »
The community has been making suggestions for years on how to improve it to actually make it USEFUL and we've asked that if it isn't fixed that it should instead be REMOVED. Muse does nothing.

Offline Inkjet

• Muse Games
  • Salutes: 15
    • [Muse]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2016, 08:15:24 pm »
I like this idea a lot,  thanks for posting it :D

Offline Naoura

• Salutes: 25
    • [Sass]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2016, 08:30:00 pm »
Just a thought aout it, and maybe a way to make it a more period correct Rangfinder you could actually learn from. And of course get rid of the blasted golden ana-.... Beads. But I'm glad you like it Ink!

And yes, I know Jedi. Muse is slow. Muse is awfully slow. But I'll post what I will anyways, because what else am I to do with what creative spark I have left? Once they stop overextending on Alliance it might get better, but I don't hold out hope. Even on that dreadnought idea on it, I know that it would likely take a year or two before it's even put into talks, and years more before it can actually be programmed. I know Muse is slow. I am patient.