Author Topic: Pilot Tool - Gas Cloud  (Read 10074 times)

Offline Milevan Faent

• Salutes: 15
    • [Cake]
    • View Profile
Pilot Tool - Gas Cloud
« on: August 04, 2016, 06:13:15 pm »
Upon activation (like Tar), it creates a large cloud around your ship. If you are moving, it will make a ship along the path you are moving for 5 seconds. The cloud will remain in place for 45 seconds. Has a long cooldown, but instantly conceals the ship like entering a cloud would. Does engine damage probably. Opinions?

Offline GurasOguras

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 30
    • [GwTh]
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: August 04, 2016, 06:20:44 pm by GurasOguras »

Offline Milevan Faent

• [Cake]
    • View Profile
Re: Pilot Tool - Gas Cloud
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2016, 06:18:05 pm »
https://gunsoficarus.com/community/forum/index.php/topic,4983

I just knew it that I've seen it already

I was specifically talking about a TOOL though, not a gun. A gun as another option, but I would prefer a tool.

Offline GurasOguras

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 30
    • [GwTh]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2016, 06:21:09 pm »
Just edited the post above with more research

Offline Milevan Faent

• [Cake]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2016, 06:22:32 pm »

... Fair enough. Still this brings it up again, which shows the players want it.

Offline Hoja Lateralus

• Salutes: 135
    • [ψ꒜]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2016, 07:45:35 pm »

... Fair enough. Still this brings it up again, which shows the players want it.

Like boarding?
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Offline Milevan Faent

• [Cake]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2016, 07:47:11 pm »
No boarding. Ever. This doesn't necessarily break the game like Boarding would, nor has the team outright said no to it, whereas they have said no to Boarding.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2016, 07:52:12 pm by Milevan Faent »

Offline Hoja Lateralus

• Salutes: 135
    • [ψ꒜]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2016, 08:17:13 pm »
Yes, but I'm refuting your argument, that if things appear on forum several times it means that playerbase wants it and we should consider it, hence my example.

Explain why this would be a good addition to the game, how it could affect the meta, wouldn't it make tar or some other tool useless or would it be so un-useful itself that it wouldn't be really used by wide public?

Show us not only what but also WHY

Offline Milevan Faent

• [Cake]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2016, 08:49:58 pm »
Yes, but I'm refuting your argument, that if things appear on forum several times it means that playerbase wants it and we should consider it, hence my example.

Explain why this would be a good addition to the game, how it could affect the meta, wouldn't it make tar or some other tool useless or would it be so un-useful itself that it wouldn't be really used by wide public?

Show us not only what but also WHY

Ah. I see what you're trying to say now. Okay then. First off, Tar. How often do you use it to break a lock? Specifically JUST that. Or we'll even expand it to include trying to "stealth" and hide from an enemy.  My answer to that is "never", as the lose lock element is so poor it just never happens.

I'm far more likely to use Tar to deal damage to an enemy ship that got too close behind me, or to discourage an enemy from chasing me. The DAMAGE is what makes Tar useful, not the cloud itself. At least in my experience using it. I don't think I've ever actually broken a lock with Tar, and I have tried.

This cloud does no damage, but is much bigger and lasts longer. It also covers the entire ship, not just leaving a cloud behind the ship. The purpose of this cloud is Stealth. If I know (thanks to seeing the enemy through an ally) that an enemy ship is near, I can pop this at a likely area where clouds might be, and by the time the enemy gets near, they're too close to avoid my attack as I suddenly fly out of my new cloud right into melee range, since they pretty much flew at me thinking they could hide from my ally who was chasing them.

Alternately, i need to escape from an enemy, so I pop the cloud. Since it's so big, they don't know which part of the cloud I'm in, and the lock gets broken since I'm no longer in sight. If planned carefully, I then fly along a path that takes me to safety.

So in summary, what does it add? It adds a tactical tool for ambush and escape tactics that is not currently available in the game. It also does not impact Tar at all.

EDIT: Forgot something. This would probably be useful both in-close and at long range, due to the cloud being useful as cover to hide your exact location during a sniper fight. And as will probably be brought up, "wont that make scopes useless?" And my answer is no. It will have a cooldown, so you can't keep them up forever. The scope will still have a place, and obviously if used poorly it won't help you escape OR ambush anyone. The tool has to be planned carefully or it just makes a pretty cloud. It also makes Flares more useful, as they can counter the cloud (though if you're using Flares, you probably won't use the cloud). Flares don't automatically make the cloud useless either though, as the choice to use a Flare means sacrificing something else. Either way, it can give you an advantage, and if they don't spend all their time shooting Flares in every Cloud (and they cant), you can still catch them off guard occasionally if you're smart.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2016, 08:54:24 pm by Milevan Faent »

Offline Solidusbucket

• Salutes: 93
    • [SkBo]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2016, 10:39:37 pm »
I approve.

I like the idea of dynamic battlefields. Mines, Tar, this idea, all make for an environment that forces adaptation to some extent.