Author Topic: Pilot Tool - Drift Boost  (Read 4692 times)

Offline Milevan Faent

• Salutes: 15
    • [Cake]
    • View Profile
Pilot Tool - Drift Boost
« on: August 04, 2016, 06:01:38 pm »
So, I would be surprised if this is a unique idea that hasn't been mentioned here yet, but I'm gonna post it anyway.

The Drift Boost provides a temporary but massive speed boost that falls off rapidly, with insane acceleration. It also sets your forward speed to max automatically. For the duration of the effect, you CANNOT make the ship change directions or change speed, though you CAN turn the ship to face a new direction. With this, you can go from 0 speed to say 200% of your normal speed in maybe 3 seconds, turn the ship to the left, come out from behind a big obstruction (like say the ship in the Desert map), keep facing that way while moving in the direction you were, open fire with your guns, and over a few seconds, return to normal speed gradually while returning to normal movement so you start going the direction you're facing.

This would be activated same as Tar, and certainly do Engine damage. Opinions?

Offline Milevan Faent

• Salutes: 15
    • [Cake]
    • View Profile
Re: Pilot Tool - Drift Boost
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2016, 09:33:16 pm »
So, I would be surprised if this is a unique idea that hasn't been mentioned here yet, but I'm gonna post it anyway.

The Drift Boost provides a temporary but massive speed boost that falls off rapidly, with insane acceleration. It also sets your forward speed to max automatically. For the duration of the effect, you CANNOT make the ship change directions or change speed, though you CAN turn the ship to face a new direction. With this, you can go from 0 speed to say 200% of your normal speed in maybe 3 seconds, turn the ship to the left, come out from behind a big obstruction (like say the ship in the Desert map), keep facing that way while moving in the direction you were, open fire with your guns, and over a few seconds, return to normal speed gradually while returning to normal movement so you start going the direction you're facing.

This would be activated same as Tar, and certainly do Engine damage. Opinions?

Since I can't edit....

The reason for this addition is to add another form of mobility control that can change the way some ships enter combat. This is most useful as an initiation tool, good for coming in guns blazing while still being able to avoid exposing yourself to an attack while charging, at least for a brief moment. It is good for hit-and-run tactics as well as quickly speeding up and moving when you were previously waiting for an opportunity. It can also serve a similar role to Moonshine, but Moonshine doesn't have a limited duration, and can maintain it's top speed MUCH longer than this can (as it would only be at top speed for a brief moment). Best used on ships with good turning, or in combination with Phoenix Claw and the Pilot ability, it can allow you to pull off moves that are otherwise impossible. Due to it's limited duration and cooldown, it does not fill the same role as Kerosene for long-distance travel, nor does it necessarily suit the Ram or Turbo Speed tactics that Moonshine is used for. While similar in the loosest sense, in the long run, it is distinct.