Author Topic: Alliance ships?  (Read 10132 times)

Offline Polydueces

• Salutes: 0
    • [GROX]
    • View Profile
Alliance ships?
« on: August 01, 2016, 11:33:11 pm »
So, I'm new to this particular forum, but I do have a question. I saw the new Alliance ships, and they look pretty good, but I did hear something that makes me a little sad and confused. Apparently, they won't be added to the main game on account of being "Overpowered". While I can somewhat understand this with the Magnate and the Shrike, I cannot for the life of me figure out how the Corsair and especially the Crusader are OP.

Offline Solidusbucket

• Salutes: 93
    • [SkBo]
    • View Profile
Re: Alliance ships?
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2016, 12:14:30 am »
The maneuverability of them far surpass the ships of skirmish mode. This, plus their health, loadouts, gun arcs, and component locations also give them an advantage

Offline JimJimmington

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 3
    • [2620]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2016, 03:39:19 am »
They are not balanced for PVP, whether overpowered or not, they simply don't fit right now.
One ship being a bit better or worse is not so much of an issue for coop vs. AI as it is for PVP.

Some *might* be added to the PVP mode in the (distant) future, after lots of careful testing and balancing. The same goes for the weapons and tools.

Offline Polydueces

• Salutes: 0
    • [GROX]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2016, 10:28:46 am »
Perhaps they could mess with the stats a bit for PVP and then justify it by saying the PVP versions are "cut down" variants designed for use by the civilian population. I'm assuming that these are military-grade airships.

Offline Atruejedi

• Salutes: 64
    • [❤❤❤]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2016, 12:13:24 pm »
Obviously the new Alliance ships would be overpowered in Skirmish, but we're missing the larger point: the Skirmish ships are UNDERPOWERED in Alliance. So something has to change either way to please the player base.

I'd rather see a nerf to Alliance ships to allow their inclusion in Skirmish, but Alliance would also benefit from buffed Skirmish ships. I think both things will eventually have to happen if Muse keeps the current "balance" in Alliance (wherein you're getting your ass kicked by so much firepower and so many enemies).

I'd love to fly a Mobula in Alliance, but it gets shredded instantly (in my experience so far, especially because it can't overlap any/many of the new guns). The Crusader and the Corsair have also really grown on me in Alliance and could be fun in Skirmish, but at the moment would be insanely overpowered...

Offline Hoja Lateralus

• Salutes: 135
    • [ψ꒜]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2016, 02:40:19 pm »
I wonder why game allows you to run alliance with one ship only, I think apart from custom lobbies it should be set to 2 ships.

Offline Solidusbucket

• Salutes: 93
    • [SkBo]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2016, 04:25:51 pm »
I have not tried Mobula in Alliance.

I know the viable ships are Pyramidion, Squid and Spire.

The others just can't fit due to lack of maneuverability and firepower compared to their Alliance counterparts:

these are opinions, btw.

Offline Red-Xiii

• Salutes: 32
    • [-§ɱ-]
    • View Profile
    • Steel Meridian
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2016, 05:12:51 pm »
We have found the junker is viable, however slow for assault and defense.  Mobula I feel would get pummeled by little ships too much to make use of the gun platform.  I gotta be honest though.  No matter what ships we use, it's still shooting AI.  Not as fun as killing fleshy things.  :P

Offline Omniraptor

• Salutes: 51
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2016, 06:27:56 pm »
They are not balanced for PVP, whether overpowered or not, they simply don't fit right now.
One ship being a bit better or worse is not so much of an issue for coop vs. AI as it is for PVP.

Some *might* be added to the PVP mode in the (distant) future, after lots of careful testing and balancing. The same goes for the weapons and tools.

I strongly disagree. One ship being plain better than another still matters in that it makes the game more boring.