Author Topic: The Ultimate Flare-Off  (Read 14292 times)

Offline Guagadu

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 16
    • [Grim]
    • View Profile
    • Guagadu: Twitch
The Ultimate Flare-Off
« on: July 10, 2016, 10:32:39 am »
The Ultimate Flare-Off is the Ultimate Flare competition between two great flare engineers, Huskarr and Lysanya, playing on either side of a Flashbang Mobula. Whoever hits the most flare shots in this single match wins the preview of the competition.

This will definitely not be the last flare-off, as it was so much fun to record and edit, and I gave the engineers about 30 seconds of mental preparation (I told them it would be a competition as we were loading into the map).

https://youtu.be/pgQQ-Z9qpAU

Offline Solidusbucket

• Salutes: 93
    • [SkBo]
    • View Profile
Re: The Ultimate Flare-Off
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2016, 11:01:10 am »
I do like the idea of an offensive flare. I think the best application would be to use them in conjunction with armor stripper and focus on keeping their hull down / on fire.

Its hard for me to trust a flare into the balloon when chem spray is in the hands of a decent engineer.

Probably have to ram for the kills or throw a flak on a top wing.

Offline Guagadu

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 16
    • [Grim]
    • View Profile
    • Guagadu: Twitch
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2016, 11:14:41 am »
I do like the idea of an offensive flare. I think the best application would be to use them in conjunction with armor stripper and focus on keeping their hull down / on fire.

Its hard for me to trust a flare into the balloon when chem spray is in the hands of a decent engineer.

In this match, we had a banshee as the main gun with 2 flares on each wing. I'm thinking of putting a hades up there in the future, though.

Offline Lysanya

• Salutes: 18
    • [Sass]
    • View Profile
    • Lysanya's Twitch Channel
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2016, 05:33:14 pm »

I find that its best use in general is on guns and engines.  Especially on galleons and junkers, where chem cycles downstairs tend to be lacking.  It's all about exploiting the weakness of a ship's fire control with absolutely no guesswork involved.  If someone forgets to cycle a gun with only chem spray on board, it's actually worse for that ship than just a gun break, because you're forced to chem it 3 times before it's no longer overheated, OR wait for it to break and then rebuild it.  That extra wait time can be devastating in certain types of engagements.  Or it draws an engineer to a place he doesn't want to be when that focus fire comes for his ship.

Another practical use would be ships that rely on carronades.  In pubs, side flares on a blenderfish or a carrot are especially nasty, as there is no right answer to how to repair the balloon, other than shooting out the carronade and chemming the balloon.

As for the competition in the video itself, it was just an impromptu thing that simply happened with no real practical application.

Offline Huskarr

• Salutes: 29
    • [Rydr]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2016, 11:49:03 pm »
Side flares are also pretty usefull against fishes. One can easily flare the front gun and the flank has ground to a halt. And yes I know the fishes front gun is supposed to be chemed at all times, but even in competitve matches it is not done most of the time.