Author Topic: Remote control Airship  (Read 19308 times)

Offline Helmic

• Salutes: 35
    • [NCNS]
    • View Profile
Re: Remote control Airship
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2013, 12:12:53 pm »
Except he's not filling a weather balloon and AFAIK he's still relying mostly on the fan for control.  A 10% increase in lift and a lower cost probably doesn't mean much when you can get helium pretty easily anyways without worrying about any indoor fireballs.

Offline RaptorSystems

• Salutes: 6
    • [BFS]
    • View Profile
    • Fab Lab Adelaide
« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2013, 08:19:17 pm »
On the up side I have access to 3D printers and a laser cutter so as far as weight is concerned it is going to be pretty low. I'm still wrapping my head around the electronics for now, apparently the level of detail I can get to is around 256 different speed variations, yay for mosfets. I might switch back to an arduino or pickaxe because of the analogue io pins.

I should have taken some pictures of the whiteboard I was nutting this out on.

Keep in mind whilst it would be nice to have it hold vertically stable, for the first prototype if it wobbles up and down a bit it isn't too detrimental.

The thought around hydrogen has been brought up many of times before, for the first prototype I'm just using what is easily accessible and available to me, it is definitely something I want to look into after the first model, along with actually making my own balloon instead of using standard rubber ones.

Offline Pickle

• Salutes: 42
    • [AeBr]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2013, 02:46:57 am »
Rubber won't hold helium, not for very long.  The only option really is mylar, and you'll find modellers online that construct their own balloons.  Hydrogen has a larger molecule, so it's less likely to leak than hydrogen.

If you're going for an indoors model, the helium would be the sensible option.  But for an outdoors calm weather model, why restrict yourself to the more difficult and more expensive route?

Offline Keon

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 105
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2013, 11:23:55 am »
Hydrogen has a larger molecule, so it's less likely to leak than hydrogen.

Offline Shinkurex

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 102
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2013, 05:23:40 pm »
My apologies, this was locked on accident.... Curse my Iphone

Offline Coldcurse

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 164
    • [TFD]