Author Topic: Static Condition Icons for Ship Components  (Read 5528 times)

Offline ThisIsBa

• Salutes: 0
    • View Profile
Static Condition Icons for Ship Components
« on: June 13, 2016, 01:20:10 am »
I think that adding static icons for the condition of the ships components would be a great improvement, especially for pilots. As a pilot, it really doesn't matter where on the ship an engine or gun is when at the helm, but in order to know their condition, you still have to scan around the edges of the screen to find the icons because they move. It would be a lot easier to understand what's working, not working, and damaged if there were some icons for every component in one single spot, perhaps at the bottom of the screen.

For gunners and engineers, it could help too for cases when the player knows the ship layout and wants to quickly check what needs to be fixed. With the current HUD, the player has to look around the edges of the screen, scanning for the icons which could be blending in with other HUD elements. The moving icons are very useful for beginners and I'd love to see them stay around with an option to turn them off in settings, but for experienced engineers and any pilot who stays at the helm, the moving icons are distracting and unnecessarily difficult to read and find.

I'm new to using the forum so I'm sorry if I'm writing this in the wrong place. Let me know, thanks.

Offline Solidusbucket

• Salutes: 93
    • [SkBo]
    • View Profile
Re: Static Condition Icons for Ship Components
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2016, 01:46:54 am »
This would be nice. The system is already in place for spectator. Good idea.

Offline Hoja Lateralus

• Salutes: 135
    • [ψ꒜]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2016, 05:21:22 am »
As far as I remember devs said that's actually the point, that you have to look in components general direction to know its status. This is intentional, just as hardly recognisable flag colours.

Offline Fynx

• Salutes: 30
    • [Rydr]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2016, 03:01:26 pm »
For experienced crew it's actually pretty intuitive.

The exception being the big health bar obscuring that funny balloon icon that tells you your spire is going to die if you don't rush there to fix it and you won't because you don't see it.

Offline Coldcurse

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 164
    • [TFD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2016, 02:46:38 am »
The Idea is nice but I think you should be able to toggle this function on and off. It might obscure vision and as a captain you always want to be able to see everything. If this function can be hidden and brought back by keybinding then I really like it.

An example for this is the current way you can call up the achievment list in-game.