Author Topic: Info about destroyed enemy ship parts + other things  (Read 8394 times)

Offline Redorio diVario

• Salutes: 8
    • View Profile
Info about destroyed enemy ship parts + other things
« on: April 30, 2013, 11:13:59 am »
Hello.
GoI is a marvelous game and it's great that players can so easily provide feedback. So will I :). This is my list of things that (after those several hours of playing) bug me or I would like to see improved in the future. Some of them may be already noticed by other users but it only means that it's something most people would like to change :).

1. Message about enemy's ship parts that I destroyed
In most shooters whenever you kill somebody or do something important there is an information about it just under the crosshair (like in BF3). I must say I find it quite irritating that whenever I want to know if I destroyed something on enemy's ship I have to search it in the top left corner of the screen in the tiny message log which often gets flooded with informations especially during the 3 vs 3 matches. Sometimes when I'm a gunner my captain asks me to to destroy a gun on enemy ship and after shooting all I can say is "I hope it is destroyed" because I missed the info about it. I would like to have the information about what I have destroyed just under the crosshair like in any other shooter. Something like this:

2. More visible map markers
Markers indicating blue and red ships on the map often merge with the background making them hard to find. Usually it takes me about 5 seconds to find where are the ships especially on the Duel at Dawn level where the map is filled with junk making the ships hard to find. Maybe making those markers brighter or giving them a glowing edge could make them more visible.

3. Better level borders
Currently the only way to notice you reached the end of a map (of course in a map without solid borders like mountains) is to bounce from the invisible wall or (if you are going slowly) irritate yourself that somehow you can't go any further just to finally check the map and find that it's the end of a map. I know that pro gamers probably know where the invisible walls are but it's something that can annoy many new pilots (like me xD). I think there should be some way of showing that you are reaching the end of a map.
Like when you are near the invisible wall the part of the wall you all closest to could become slightly visible like red stripes could appear on it showing you that you can't go any further before you collide with it.
Or maybe make the Battlefield approach where are no invisible walls just whenever you pass the end of the map the screen goes darker and a timer is set giving you time to "get back in the fight" or else you will die. I think 30 seconds would be enough for any ship to reverse and get back to the map.

4. The "you are to close to repair this part" bug
When I'm playing engineer I often get a bug that I'm to close to (for example) an engine to repair and I have to make 2 steps backward. Just like any collision hasn't been detected and I can move through the part I want to repair. It's strange because it seems to happen randomly. This is what I'm talking about:
I'm inside the engine
Now it's better

5. Isn't the steering reversed then flying backwards?
I'm not sure whether it's a bug or a feature. I know the game is all about physics but isn't the steering reversed then the throttle is down? I'm used that in most games (or maybe rather every game) where you can steer a machine when you are going forward then "A" key makes you turn left and "D" right and the same when you go backwards. But in GoI going backwards means that "A" is right and "D" is left. Is that's really how it should be?

That's all for now :). I hope you like the changes I mentioned and maybe we could find some of them in the game soon ^^.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2013, 11:44:22 am by Redorio diVario »

Offline Phoebe

• Salutes: 62
    • [SPQR]
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
Re: Info about destroyed enemy ship parts + other things
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2013, 11:33:15 am »
5. Isn't the steering reversed then flying backwards?
I'm not sure whether it's a bug or a feature. I know the game is all about physics but isn't the steering reversed then the throttle is down? I'm used that in most games (or maybe rather every game) where you can steer a machine when you are going forward then "A" key makes you turn left and "D" right and the same when you go backwards. But in GoI going backwards means that "A" is right and "D" is left. Is that's really how it should be?

This is true for wheels on a pavement, but not for engines that output a certain thrust

For a car, when you steer left;-  your wheels turn left - and if you then go backwards; your front goes right because your wheels are on the front pointing left.

For engines; going forward and left, your right engine puts out more thrust; turning your ship left - but reversing has no effect; your right engine will still output more thrust;  so left is still left

I got confused trying to explain it... I think I messed up somewhere, someone take over and explain better

Offline Redorio diVario

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2013, 11:43:44 am »
Ok, thanks :). I get what you mean. I also thought it could be like this since a flying ship is not a car xD. What I wanted to say is that the game could be always programmed to reverse the steering to be more like in a car because more people are used to it. But since this is the more realistic way then let it be :).

Offline -Muse- Cullen

• Muse Games
  • Salutes: 47
    • [Cake]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2013, 01:05:18 pm »
I think that time will fix the invisible wall problem with the maps- adding some sort of visible border wouldn't be aesthetically pleasing. Likewise, experience lets people know where to stand to hit the engines. However, an engine should be whack-able as long as the person is within distance, so that might be a worthy thing to look at.

I agree to the map icon comment, and others do, too.

While I do agree that having a popup for destroyed parts, I like having less on a HUD than more, and the stream of information at the top left is enough for me.

Offline Veyka

• Salutes: 12
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
    • Just a site
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2013, 01:17:00 pm »
The problem with the info at the top left is that the red/blue text can be really hard to read at times, maybe some tweaks to that would help a lot, same for #2, it can be really hard to find your friends/foes on the map quickly sometimes!

Offline Redorio diVario

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2013, 02:54:09 pm »
I think that time will fix the invisible wall problem with the maps- adding some sort of visible border wouldn't be aesthetically pleasing.
Well, I find ramming into the invisible walls also not much pleasing. Of course not in an aesthetic way. More like in the gameplay way. And IMHO gameplay is more important than aesthetic ^^.
That's why I see it as an option in the menu for those who want it or at least the newbies. I mean the game has tutorial advices above the crosshair in size of 1/4 of screen height that are not also aesthetically pleasing but can be turned off :).

Furthermore, I don't want the borders to be visible all the time. I like the taste (or maybe rather the illusion) of freedom when flying and don't want to see myself trapped inside a box. I just thought that the part of the wall (like only a 10 meter radius circle) could become visible only when I'm 10 meters from the wall or closer. The rest of the time the wall could stay invisible. I can illustrate what I mean if You want ^^.
And what about the Battlefield approach where leaving the area gives you some time to come back? I think it's the solution that reduces the player's freedom in the most subtle way.

Likewise, experience lets people know where to stand to hit the engines. However, an engine should be whack-able as long as the person is within distance, so that might be a worthy thing to look at.
But it's more like a bug (well shouldn't I be rather be writing about it in the "bugs section" of this forum? :/) because it happens only sometimes that my character penetrates the engine. I think that the tactic when something is destroyed looks usually like this:
1. Notice that an essential part of the ship is damaged
2. Run like hell towards it until you collide with it
3. Start smashing it with your mallet or what else you have.
OK, maybe it's just my dumb tactic but it's just annoying when my character just penetrates the broken equipment. I mean why not expand the area from where you can repair just inside the damaged equipment so that even if run inside it I can still repair it, even though technically it may look strange seen from side. :)

While I do agree that having a popup for destroyed parts, I like having less on a HUD than more, and the stream of information at the top left is enough for me.
This is a matter of aesthetic that's an individual thing ^^. I have nothing against complex HUDs ^^. I'm sure some people will agree with me and some won't. Probably the only solution to satisfy all would be making the HUD totally customizable but that would be probably to much xD.

Offline ATeddyBear

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 12
    • [HRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2013, 03:02:26 pm »
4. The "you are to close to repair this part" bug

This definitely a bug and has been for a bit. The Squid's engines were notorious for this and caused you to fall off the back of it. If you see it make sure to make a report of it and anything that might of happen to the component beforehand. E.G. Was it on fire, did it just get destroyed, etc.

Offline Respect

• Salutes: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2013, 06:46:22 am »
As for me, you guys need only to make chat logs ('someone destroyed smth') more brighter and easier to see.