Author Topic: Food of the Factions  (Read 25448 times)

Offline Skymonger

• Salutes: 22
    • [◥ɸ◤]
    • View Profile
Food of the Factions
« on: April 24, 2016, 06:45:16 pm »
For once, let's not talk about the things that the factions have to kill each other, or how they dress for battle.

Let's talk about Food.
What do the each of the individual factions eat?
Since each of them live in pretty drastic environments...Arashi and Anglea being the biggest offenders
Surely some interesting cuisine has been invented?

Offline Arturo Sanchez

• Salutes: 119
    • [AI]
    • View Profile
    • My spaghetti channel
Re: Food of the Factions
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2016, 08:22:10 pm »
considering resources are not to be wasted I bet cannibalism is a common thing.

Offline TimTim LaBaguette

• Salutes: 8
    • [LBS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2016, 04:24:35 am »
It's one of the things I wondered, how can such large factions subsist, how can they maintain an army in this semi-post-apocalyptic world. I can imagine it's still possible to grow crops in many places ( maybe not of top quality ) and that the basic stuffs are pretty easy to find. Eating something a bit fancy would much more rare and expensive though...

Offline C r o w

• Salutes: 15
    • [Lock]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2016, 04:30:08 am »
In case of their homeland's resources I bet that:

Angleans eat rocks, fish, some vegetables they grow in underground greenhouses and fish.
And then more fish.
And even more fish.
Did I mention fish?
Oh, and also fish.

The baronies would be the same as Angleans, only with more vegetables.

Chaladon would go full veggie, with some animals breed, since they actually have enough pasture to support herds.

Yesha would have probably the most greenhouses and other things to grow vegetables, maybe they have some herds too.

For the Arashi the world is a buffet: an all-you-can-raid.

For the Guild too the world is a buffet: an all-you-can-afford-from-other-lands.

Offline The Mann

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 146
    • [Cake]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2016, 04:48:02 am »
Lets refer to the map!  8)

Chaladonians:
We know that the chaladonians are a very sophisticated and intelligent faction. The Gas Mortar is thought to be a mistake from making a fertilizer or pesticide. We can also see from the map that their influence on the land has made it very prosperous thus vegetation can seen. We also know that the Order do not share their secrets with other factions due to the state of the world with continued erosion.

Arashi:
We know that the Arashi live on the dunes of the great Arashi Desert. This is an environment only for the fittest. A fitting statement of the League. Food is scarce and the league most likely scavenge for food. Being so close to the bountiful mercantiles and the empire of Yesha, Arashi's have a plentiful haven of trade routes to explore and pillage.

Yesha:
Little is known about the great empire of yesha. It is known everyone has their place within the empire - Farmer, Mercenary and so on. In regard to this, we can also see areas of vegetation in the highlands of the rusted range. There are also lakes which can be utilised for maintaining the farmland. This leads me to believe the Yeshan Empire is somewhat self resourceful in providing food however, the Yeshan Empire is very large. This may require the yeshans to trade in order to feed everyone. An action which is dangerous with Arashi and Angleans lurking.

Anglean:
Similar to arashi, only the toughest and most resourceful can survive in the sub zero temperatures of the Anglea. In such cold climates, Farming is near impossible and thus, hunting is a likely source of food however. We forget that the Angleans are masters of knowlege of the past. They are known to dig deep into the ice to discover the wonders of old. Some have even made these areas home. It would be no surprise to suspect that Angleans can utilise old technology for purposes such as heat. A valuable resource for cooking, living, farming and melting. Arashi are constantly under pressure to find water. Anglean's have an unlimited supply.

Baronies:
Wealthy, tactical and observant, the baronites are by no means without food. By the creed, everyone is thought to be catered for however, there are signs of shortages. King Gregor's influence is fading. As a formidable opponent and wealthy empire, the baronites are capable of trading for resources in exchange for mercenaries, weapons and knowledge of war.

Mercantiles:
Mercantiles live in the arid plains of the vastness. very little life exists here. It is by no means as bad as the Arashi Desert but little can survive here. Despite this, the mercantiles make a living through trade. The Vastness is home to a great wealth of minerals. Jewelry, crystals and other wonders are all collected here by the mercantiles making them are very wealthy ally. With enough resources for trade and survival, the mercantiles can trade for food in exchange for lenses and other minerals.

Offline Huskarr

• Salutes: 29
    • [Rydr]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2016, 11:33:49 am »
I just checked in the Mann's guide for the new guns and the gas mortar gas was supposed to be a pesticide (for some reason I thought Balloon Gas XD, sorry for telling lies in the PM).

Anywho I think the Chaladonians have many private vegetable and fruit gardens. It's just some feeling I have, so don't actually count on that.

Though they probably have a very fruit and vegetable rich diet. Wether the Chaladonians eat meat is up to debate, but I do think so, as they are amazed by nature and carnivores are a part of that. I don't think that it is daily food for them, but rather a speciality as to not screw with the balance of nature.

Offline Helios.

• Salutes: 14
    • [Clan]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2016, 12:28:00 pm »
the fjord baronies rely on some farming in the lowlands and a lot of fishing in the fjords. we know the fisheries aren't doing well, and they blame the chaledonians for introducing some fish-eating behemoth to the oceans or something. we also know they ahve the only cultivated honey bees. the huge influx of people into the baronies is beginning to pressure the barons which is one of the bigger reasons for their expansion into the lowland areas, putting them in conflict with the other factions.

the yeshans we know grow rice, and have a pretty self sufficient economy, which means i expect some of the poorer people are eating mostly grains and milk and eggs if they are lucky, and the rich have cultivated herds and eat more meat.

the chaledoninas have both advanced agricultural husbandry and methods as well as being uniquely into biological modifications of some kind, so we can assume they have "the good stuff"

arashi live around oases in the desert regions, so they might have a very limited agriculture, but its hard to imagine that anyone could survive that way. more likely they trade advanced archeotech with the arashi for food, thsi might be a political expedient or a yeshan insurance policy against being harassed TOO much

the merchantile guild trades for whatever they can afford, which in some cases is a LOT. the rank and file of tradesmen and low ranking sailors eat simply, while the captains and owners fo the merchant companies i'd imagine eat as well as king gregor ever could

the arashi are a hard one to guess, mainly because we know they by far have the largest and most advanced cache of archeo-tech, bu we dont know what it does... we know they are never happy (closest word in anglean for happy being 'not suffering' we are told) so we can easily imagine they are perennially on the edge of starvation. we know they have some kind of automoaton labor, and we know they can keep their vast subterranian cities warm. we there might be some mushroom farming to be expected, but growwlights would seem unlikely, as if they had enough power they could make enough food to feed everyone, they would be happier, and if they didn't have that much power they wouldn't waste it on a wasteful enterprise like food. therefore we might assume if they grow anything its likely the hardiest of tubers and root vegetables that can grow above-ground in the short grow seasons, and steal/pillage/trade for enough food to not starve to death.

Offline The Mann

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 146
    • [Cake]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2016, 01:03:40 pm »
I'm guessing that last one was a typo.

But back to the more important point.

I am now going to rename my Shrike Psychedelic Bird. "It runs on the good stuff."  :o

Offline Skymonger

• Salutes: 22
    • [◥ɸ◤]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2016, 10:18:06 pm »
I just have this pestering feeling that Anglea has a diet similar to Alaska.

Sub zero fishing, Hunting, importing Veggies and fruit from elsewhere via trade and raids.
But I suppose primarily it be fish and hunting Cold weather creatures as the main source of food if a raid goes badly.

I hear seal jerky isn't too bad...
...can you eat a polar bear though?

Offline C r o w

• Salutes: 15
    • [Lock]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2016, 04:28:07 am »

...can you eat a polar bear though?

Only if he doesn't eat you first.
You can eat a bear, but it's mostly muscles and fat.
If it's a polar bear then there's even a lot more fat.

Offline Silver Corsair

• Salutes: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2016, 04:56:25 pm »
Don't forget the famous Anglean sky whale cheese.

Offline Clockeye

• Salutes: 2
    • [@]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2016, 05:57:26 am »
You guys ever tought of Arashi eating stuff that is out of discussion for us? Like slaves and such? Maybe scorpions and snakes are on plates 24/7? We could also take example of Mad Max and sa they eat larvae from corpses.

Arashi is a mashup of tribes, nomads and everyone that can survive the desert. I think they have different food
for different tribe that joined in. For example, Tribe A was located close to grener lands, so their people eat veggies and such. A gunner from that tribe sits uring the lunch break and pulls out some dried up vegetables to crunch on. Meanwhile, tribe B was from the very deep desert. An engineer from that tribe sits next to him and pulls out a handfull of Yeshians fingers, well preserved in desert sun.

Offline Helios.

• Salutes: 14
    • [Clan]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2016, 04:05:49 pm »
i imagine them like the femen, so i imagine they eat spice coffee and spice bread, etc

Offline Nogitsune

• Salutes: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2016, 11:54:47 pm »
For the Arashi, I want to assume not every inch of the desert is sand, sand, sand, rocks, and more sand.
There has to be some kind of water source.  From what I can tell, in the map "Canyon Ambush" the large silos have plants growing off of them.  Perhaps this is due to condensation, and these towers actually tap underground water supplies.  That being said, such places would provide a large, though limited, source of water for a larger population of people.  There are also other methods of getting water from cacti, cacti fruits, solar water stills, morning dew, etc.  Lore also states that Arashi reuse old factories, either using them for intended design or making them into something else like a shelter, so perhaps they also have dehumidifiers and other pieces of tech.  As for food, some websites say most cacti fruits are safe to eat, and it's not like you can't have sheep grazing so long as you stick to the shrubs, and away from the dunes.  Another quick search tells me people can herd animals into the deserts for meat and milk, and eating lizards would be common.  Bugs are not out if the question either, and I'm sure you have heard of like, scorpions being roasted or other things. 

As for like, large banquets of fine cuisine and the such, I'm not sure if the Arashi have many luxuries outside of like roasted lamb, lizard on a stick, etc.  I did read that they mentioned rice was something some cultures used.  Overall though I don't know enough about Arashi to consider anything outside of flatbread or something.  As is I'm struggling to identify how these people really live, because their outfits are very colorful and cultural, well made and nice, while I think the ship design looked like a glued together scrap heap.

As for the Yesha I think it's safe to say a lot of asian dishes, mostly consisting of rice, noodles, vegetables, etc, there's not much they can't make from what I can tell.  Their lands have vegetation, lots of space to grow crops, raise animals, and it stretches far enough north and south to get a wide variety of fruits.  Not sure if they will have a large fishing fleet or anything, but assuming the empire is potentially overpopulated, we can assume they make an effort for such things, thus potential scuffles with the Republic just to the north. 
« Last Edit: August 15, 2016, 12:09:42 am by Nogitsune »