Author Topic: Ships that go BOOM!  (Read 7267 times)

Offline Lu Lu

• Salutes: 12
    • [zl0t]
    • View Profile
Ships that go BOOM!
« on: April 17, 2016, 08:10:08 pm »
When an airship explodes, there is a lost of chaos.  Shrapnel goes flying, Flaming debris/ gasses are scattered, and an explosive force pushes everything away from the center.

What I propose is that when a ship explodes, it deals damage to everything around, both friendly and hostile.

As the balloon ruptures and burns, it would through fire stacks to everything in a close proximity
As the metal components are thrown everywhere, it would cause shatter and flechette damage in a moderate blast radius
And of course, as the explosion occurs, any ships close to the explosion would be pushed/turned by the force

The biggest thing that i hope with this change is that when a ship explodes in someone's face, there's going to be some collateral damge.

Offline Zabinzu

• Salutes: 23
    • [ϟ]
    • View Profile
Re: Ships that go BOOM!
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2016, 08:50:54 pm »
I think this could be an interesting mechanic, but it may dissuade and nullify certain group tactics, such as two brawlers. For example you could have a ship rush in against two brawlers, with it dealing some damage on the way in and explode on them, and then have an ally pick off the weakened ships. If this was implemented it would hinder certain play styles, and at times may force ships to avoid playing at certain ranges, and I don't like the idea of a mechanic that limits any play style. I also think it rewards suicidal tactics too much, in a real world scenario and in a game a crew should avoid dying, not use it as a tactic. Don't take what I say as a shutdown of your idea, just as a separate viewpoint.

One more thing, would you mind specifying what the damage a destroyed ship would apply at maximum and minimum ranges. X stacks of fire, x armor/hull damage, x shatter damage etc.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2016, 08:52:55 pm by Zabinzu »

Offline Daft Loon

• Salutes: 47
    • [◕_◕]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2016, 09:39:19 pm »
Would be great fun in alliance mode, but it would more or less invalidate ramming in PvP.

Offline Solidusbucket

• Salutes: 93
    • [SkBo]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2016, 10:26:18 pm »
i would say have a pilot tool to absorb the damage and ahree it would be cool for co op

Offline RearAdmiralZill

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 144
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2016, 11:26:32 am »
At face value, i'm with Zabinzu. I imagine you'd want the damage of such a mechanic to mean something when it comes to a pilot deciding if they want to ram a ship, get in close, etc. It would just skew balance toward long range engagements to avoid the added damage. It's a fun idea, but balance wise I don't think it's feasible.

Offline Richard LeMoon

• Muse Games
  • Salutes: 284
    • [Muse]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2016, 05:10:03 pm »
I would not mind as long as it was very minor. A few damage and an extra fire here and there. Nothing game changing.

However, there was a suggestion a while ago for a pilot tool that inflicted major damage on anything around it if the ship was destroyed while it was active. Sort of a ramming deterrent tool. I can imagine new players not understanding this and trying to use the damage to kill ships. Or just trolls trolling.

Offline Lu Lu

• Salutes: 12
    • [zl0t]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2016, 09:01:34 pm »
Alright, so it took me some time, but I think I have some more specifics now on the actual effects

A formula for shatter damage would be as follows:
Shatter Damage = (180/(X+1)); X=<10, where X is measured in meters
at X=0, this is the shatter equivalent of 4 Hwacha rockets

A formula for flechette damage would be as follows:
Flechette Damage = (500/(X+1)^2); X=<19, where X is measured in meters

For Fire stacks
Fire stacks = (30*(Y/300)/X^2) Where X is defined in measured in meters, and Y is defined as HP value of the Balloon on death

This is just the way I think it could work, obviously someone more familiar with the
game mechanics might see a far better way to compute and balance these numbers

Offline Arturo Sanchez

• Salutes: 119
    • [AI]
    • View Profile
    • My spaghetti channel
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2016, 01:50:30 pm »
i would say have a pilot tool to absorb the damage and ahree it would be cool for co op

oh dear god impact bumpers might actually become a thing. I'm hype.

Offline Solidusbucket

• Salutes: 93
    • [SkBo]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2016, 06:50:39 pm »
Yea, that was kinda my idea. A type of impact bumper that is a little more useful. How fun would it be to lochnager mine yourself (and maybe enemy) and blow yourself up and blow up enemy ships. Again, co op only.