Author Topic: anglean faction spotlight  (Read 7026 times)

Offline Helios.

• Salutes: 14
    • [Clan]
    • View Profile
anglean faction spotlight
« on: April 11, 2016, 05:33:36 pm »
so i wrote this a while back when i realized that the angleans didn't have a faction spotlight, so i scraped together as much lore as i could find and wrote one that i thought would be at least pretty close to the canon, and sent it in to muse, but nothing happened with it, so here it is for the consideration of the larger public:

The Anglean Republic:
Colors: Black and Red
Symbol: Albatross
Ship Prefix: AGS (Anglean Gatherer Ship)
Territory: Anglea
Capital: Kinforth

Even above the Chill sea in the desolate North, people thrive.  the bones of the old world have largely been picked over, and the technology of past ages was largely destroyed before it was understood. The Settlers in Anglea had neither of these problems. Anglea is too cold and unforgiving for any but the most courageous, or suicidal, to venture, and so very little was destroyed.
Anglea now is even more dangerous, as the people who ultimately settled there found technological wonders lost to, and forgotten by, the rest of the world. Unknowingly left to sit in their icy sepulchers, these wonders have been found again.  It is this prodigious wealth of technology that make the Angleans able to live in the frozen world.  Not only discovered but much has been reverse engineered and even understood: these marvels keep the cities alive. 
The Anglean republic is a collection of clan houses who each elect a household head, who all travel to Kinforth and serve to govern the island and its people. These men and women make the laws and manage the loose government. Although largely concerned with raiding targets and deciding shares of the plunder, the family representatives also vote on who should be their war-leader, a temporary position, who will lead the raids.
Raiding is a staple in Anglea. with the land so cold and barren, the people cannot make enough food. the land is largely too frozen to mine, and the ground too barren of ore to be worth doing, even if you could. war material must also come from outside.
the warships of Anglea are not built for border protection: their naval ships and soldiers are so many that to attack would be inviting disaster. the reason for both is the same: raiding is the lifeblood of the Anglean civilization. without the resources coming in from raids, the whole society would grind to a stop.
While terrible neighbors, the technomancers of the Anglean republic are thriving in their underground cities. Taking what they need when they need it: they are the undisputed power in the north.

Offline Lady Veronica

• Salutes: 9
    • [MMBF]
    • View Profile
Re: anglean faction spotlight
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2016, 11:37:06 pm »
This is pretty cool. I, like many more, are more concerned with the Fjords, but from all that I've personally scraped together, this seems very accurate. I very much enjoyed reading your summary of this people. Sounds a lot like the Highland Scots and Vikings.

Offline TimTim LaBaguette

• Salutes: 8
    • [LBS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2016, 06:33:52 am »
Terrible neighboors fits them perfectly

Offline Helios.

• Salutes: 14
    • [Clan]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2016, 05:54:14 pm »
i put my faction spotlight for the fjordlanders in the baronies thread, if you are interested. the two that were missing for the official page were the FB and the AR