Author Topic: Simple harpoon utility fix  (Read 4649 times)

Offline Daft Loon

• Salutes: 47
    • [◕_◕]
    • View Profile
Simple harpoon utility fix
« on: April 06, 2016, 05:08:41 am »
Make the rope attach to the firing ships center of mass and pull from there, the target would still be affected from the point of impact. It would remove one of the main obstructions to actually using the harpoon effectively and the only loss would be the very rare strategy of using it to deliberately turn your own ship.

Offline Dementio

• Salutes: 135
    • [Rydr]
    • View Profile
Re: Simple harpoon utility fix
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2016, 07:49:51 am »
That sounds like something that I like.

Offline Arturo Sanchez

• Salutes: 119
    • [AI]
    • View Profile
    • My spaghetti channel
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2016, 08:54:19 am »
visual representation of good harpoon

Offline Dementio

• Salutes: 135
    • [Rydr]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2016, 10:10:24 am »
One other possible solution is that your own ship gets affected a lot less or not at all, so you could still screw with the arcs of the enemy ship. But that was never done.

Offline Solidusbucket

• Salutes: 93
    • [SkBo]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2016, 11:40:23 am »
it should have an effect on the firing ship though because physics. not sure if this can be ignored because game engine. i agree it would benefit gameplay to ignore the actual physics.

Offline Daft Loon

• Salutes: 47
    • [◕_◕]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2016, 07:16:19 pm »
The linear pull should really stay the same, otherwise you would get really odd situations ex
Squid harpoons Galleon
The Galleon being huge barely moves
The Squid as the user is pulled less and barely moves

For the turning effect it seems plausible that the harpoon gun could launch the harpoon and then release the rope so it gets pulled from another part of the ship, i was thinking about having it centered on the side facing the same way as the gun but in line with the center of mass (for example a harpoon on a pyra would then pull from between whichever set of guns it was in) but that got complicated fast and would still leave several gun slots pointless for harpoon use (spire and mobula side guns).

The cargo hook in alliance mode attaches a rope to the center of mass of your ship which works well enough physics wise (though it doesn't have the extra pull force of the harpoon to compare exactly) and to me at least doesn't look too bad.