Author Topic: "The Cogs" Week 8 - Discussion  (Read 32065 times)

Offline Machiavelliest

• Salutes: 35
    • View Profile
Re: "The Cogs" Week 8 - Discussion
« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2013, 11:49:24 am »
I'm sure there is value in this suggestion, but i don't understand.
Don't end the season now.  Tack on an extra weekend or two, and let the 'Season Ender' tournament play out over those weekends, with the non-COGs match bouts of the Tournament playing at the same time as the extra COGs matches.

Offline Captain Smollett

• Salutes: 122
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2013, 11:55:18 am »
Playing out the tournament over a series of weeks would definitely mitigate the -how the hell do I mobilize my team for 5 hours- problem and if I understand Machiavelliest correctly, many of these round one games could take place during week 7 of the Cogs for the teams who aren't already playing that week. 

If the tournament matches were scheduled into rough time slots, this could really help increase the ease of participation for a lot of teams.

Offline Shinkurex

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 102
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2013, 12:24:37 pm »
interesting, wouldn't this be even more short notice if we started it week 7 though? We might have to make special provision this season (Extend the season a bit) and then start up proper Season 2. This is, of course, if Swallow wants to run it this way.

Offline Squidslinger Gilder

• Salutes: 287
    • [TBB]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2013, 06:02:43 pm »
If your going to be adding on time to the event then keep it between 2-3hrs or less. Stick in at least 1-2 intermission periods as well. Basically how I've done it with raiding and Ops running for years. Gets the maximum amount of time in and protects against burn out. Any longer and your deathmarching it. Course thats an MMO and this is aircombat. But either way the biggest hurdle is that time frame because this community is so spread out among the time zones. No matter what time you pick, it won't make everyone happy. So it then comes down to just minimizing that impact as much as possible. Some crews will get hit harder than others, that is just how it goes. If some have to rotate people then they'll have to do that. I actually wouldn't mind having that option cause we got folks who can't make the current time but could if it was an hour later.

Offline Machiavelliest

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2013, 09:14:30 pm »
interesting, wouldn't this be even more short notice if we started it week 7 though? We might have to make special provision this season (Extend the season a bit) and then start up proper Season 2. This is, of course, if Swallow wants to run it this way.
Yep.  The question is whether or not the shorter notice is easier to handle than the 'deathmarch' of time consumption.   We could just close the season without a tourney, then use a tournament to reestablish the COG structure.

Offline Helmic

• [NCNS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 29, 2013, 10:21:10 pm »
Yep.  The question is whether or not the shorter notice is easier to handle than the 'deathmarch' of time consumption.   We could just close the season without a tourney, then use a tournament to reestablish the COG structure.

I think that may be a better solution, if only because it gives us some breathing room for a back and forth with OE on scheduling the games.  Fight for the seeds over a couple weeks, Cogs as normal.  I don't think we should settle on that just yet, though, it sounds like it'd be a pain in the ass to organize when you know a lot of those early games are going to end up as no-shows.

I say these things knowing the effort that goes into putting on events, and knowing that there is a lot of work and thought put into cogs.

As do I.  I've organized stuff like this before, it does take a lot of effort.  Thing is, OE is getting stupid amounts of channel views in large part because of their efforts organizing this.  They're the official broadcasters of Guns of Icarus, backed by Muse.  It's not like they've been unrewarded or they're downtrodden, they can take criticism and they ask for criticism.  Just because they work hard doesn't mean it's not a bad idea to suddenly announce everyone involved is supposed to do something they weren't planning for for hours on end.  They've been kind of announcing how things are going to be without asking for input from the participants and that's just not going to work in the long run.

Again, the Cogs isn't entirely a gift from OE to the GoI players, the participants are very much responsible for a lot of OE's recent success and they very much deserve a say in how things are done.  No one wants to see the Cogs failing because everyone's switching to another tournament that's a bit more player-friendly.

There is no effort to dick with anyone.  CoGs is not and cannot be for everyone. It's for team players who have put in the effort or had someone else put in the effort for them to form a team, practice, and show up

Take my personal cogs story for example:

When Cogs started I saw that I was not going to be able to play, I didn't know anyone personally in the game and had not made any name for myself yet.  I started by trying to form my own clan, and started working on an everyone can join tournament called sky kinds.  Both failed. 
After crewing Smollets ship in normal games and having a great time he asked me if I wanted to be a duck.
Maybe a week and a half before the Raft played their first game I tried out for one of the 2 captain spots.  I lost to Ccrack and ended up as the gunner for Hizumi.  later because so many Ducks wanted to play in cogs I earned a captain spot on the 3rd ducks team, the Brood.

Even though the Brood has only played 2 matches, something like 17 different players have been on the Brood.
player sometimes can't make a game, some disappear, some stop playing GOI, some move on to captain their own teams, some come and fill in for one game.

You recruit when you sign up, and you recruit be for every single game. Thats just how it is.

I am in CoGs because of Squashes effort, Smollets effort, My effort, My various crew and teammate's effort, and all the people who put on the cog's effort.

IT TAKES A LOT OF EFFORT TO BE IN COGS.

Congratulations.  I don't see people lining up to watch players organize, they're there to watch the games themselves.  Demanding that everyone have your same dedication is absolutely ridiculous, that's not what the Cogs should be about.  This is not a professional league where people earn money, there shouldn't be an expectation that the participants go through undue stress just to compete.  The organizers taking a bit of time to consider the difficulty of scheduling for the teams is well worth whatever perceived drop in quality there is for the spectators, it's not that hard to just ask beforehand before declaring that this is what's going to happen and that's final.

Just about everyone here understands that just by the nature of having teams there's going to be unavoidable difficulties, it sucks but no one can really come up with a way to make team organization easy.  But that's completely different from romanticizing it as an ideal, like that's how it  should be.  It's fine to have a bit of pride about your own dedication but I'm going to be blunt, the less that kind of hard work is rewarded the better.  We should be making every effort to make participation as easy as possible, to take down as many boundaries to competing as is practical so that victories are less effected by anything other than skill.

It's just not fun watching a team like Corvus forfeiting a match because they got fucked by a surprise, people don't watch the Cogs to watch the participants stress out over scheduling.  That makes the game stop being fun, and when the Cogs stop being fun they're going to die.

If you don't like these facts about cogs make your own event.  Seriously I want more events!  I myself have spent over 30 hrs trying to get non cogs events going.

Teams are already feeling stressed out just by the current Cogs.  There's no way the Cogs could survive another similar league, a lot of people would be playing in one or the other.  It's really damn rare to have the time to participate in multiple simultaneous leagues, particularly if they're both as demanding as the Cogs.  Not to mention the nightmare of scheduling conflicts between the two, the Cogs have a pretty good time on Saturday and you bet any serious league is going to want those hours too.  A lot of people like myself want to compete in THE league, we want the spotlight on the bigass Twitch channel.  Picking up our toys and going elsewhere is more of a last ditch effort should all else fail, which it won't as I'm sure Qwerty and Swallow are going to take this thread seriously.

Offline N-Sunderland

• Salutes: 281
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 29, 2013, 10:25:03 pm »
I've got to agree about splitting the tournament up. I can't spend five hours on a Saturday playing GoIO. I mean, Fjords was 5 hours long, and my team probably played an hour in total. And we were in the bronze game. Sitting around doing little to nothing for four hours is not what I enjoy doing, and it's a scheduling nightmare.

Offline Machiavelliest

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 29, 2013, 10:43:17 pm »
There's a lot of back-and-forth between participants in the COGs here, and I feel confident in saying I speak for others posting here accurately in saying that, while this is an important issue to us and that is why we are criticizing it so heavily, we really do appreciate the time, work, and consideration put into the COGs by the people who make the machine well-oiled and firing on all pistons behind the scenes.  "No news is good news" is a poor method of communication, but please don't think that just because we're hung up on this (albeit important) issue, we're renouncing or denouncing the hard work of the COGs organizers.

Offline Swallox

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 30
    • [Muse]
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 29, 2013, 10:53:42 pm »
Quick heads up: The five-hour stream of Fjords nearly killed Qwerty and me, and we had half a dozen CAs to support us that time.

The finale is not going to last five hours.

Offline Moriarty

• Salutes: 18
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 30, 2013, 12:46:40 am »
Thanks for the helpful comment swallow...

Offline Machiavelliest

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 30, 2013, 01:03:12 am »

• [TBB]
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 30, 2013, 06:39:22 am »
The answer to 5 hour battles...every 30 mins run a Pyralition Derby event channel. Well, once the update hits and make ramming godlike.

Actually wanted to test this but never had a chance. Load up 3 on 3 DM...all Pyras and probably a map with a large circle open area like Dunes. Pilot loadouts would be moonshine with 2 other optionals. No impact bumpers (unless everyone goes it), tar permitted for realism sake. Crews set to repair so no guns. Then everyone position in a circle facing each other...after countdown all hit the shine and collide at once. Pyras which try to run away from the circle area are disqualified. It is then a race to repair and rebuild and recharge in before enemies do the same. Pyras which get blown up can rejoin the brawl. Teams smash it out until one side wins.

Offline Machiavelliest

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 01, 2013, 05:22:18 am »
I wouldn't call backfiring engines that disable opponents' vehicles realism ... like the idea though.  Jace has a thread for these ideas, I think.

Offline N-Sunderland

• Salutes: 281
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 09, 2013, 04:50:41 pm »
How long are you expecting Week 8 to last? I need to be somewhere at 6 PM EST, so it'd be good to know if I can be around for the whole thing.

• [TBB]
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 11, 2013, 07:38:32 pm »
Was pretty long today but no one could have really known we'd have that large of a hit to the servers. Matches were fine till our match with Destruct. Both sides got hit with heavy slow down. I was bumping into walls that I usually zip right by. Suspect part was cause of spectators, which I have only ever seen that pose an issue in 4v4. It was weird seeing that in 2v2. I gave a call out that we could barely move hoping qwerty and swallow would realize what was happening and suddenly it improved a little so I guess they saw it and shifted spectator spot. But a lot I think was just the servers getting slammed hard by the high population.