Author Topic: "The Cogs" Week 8 - Discussion  (Read 31951 times)

Offline Moriarty

• Salutes: 18
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
"The Cogs" Week 8 - Discussion
« on: April 28, 2013, 08:58:16 am »
This is going to sound critical, so keep in mind I'm not intending to give offense.

This idea automatically enters 80+ people into what is likely to be a 5hour event. Which is a thing I'm not sure i want to go through again, especially if its forced on me without the  courtesy of consultation - and the secrecy regarding rules is a bit of a cherry on top in this regard.

Needless to say i see a people management problems with this approach.

However to help discussion and add something constructive i would propose that if and when these problems occur you might like to consider a classic 2v5 3v4 winner face each other to see who plays the minor premier (fairly standard, and has the advantage of only being one match longer then a normal cogs week).

Or any other system really - Leave the tournament as a separate thing.

« Last Edit: April 29, 2013, 10:04:58 am by Shinkurex »

Offline Chango

• Salutes: 13
    • [Gent]
    • View Profile
Re: Re: "The Cogs" Week 8 - Discussion
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2013, 10:09:04 am »
yeah, I do agree with Moriarty. Less people are going to be able to show up to such an event. Most clans have troubles getting people to commit a couple hours on a saturday, let alone this much. I don't think you should change the rules of the Cogs mid-season. The Cogs were never ment to be the only event. If you want a final tournament blow out celebration, it should be scheduled as a different event.

Offline Phoebe

• Salutes: 62
    • [SPQR]
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2013, 10:16:12 am »
especially if its forced on me without the  courtesy of consultation

I just think that part especially is what gets people a little bit.  There's no shame in asking the players and captains about wether or not they agree with format changes;- after all they're the ones participating and without players you have no event.

Trying to bring variety and a change of pace is good and most will likely applaud that effort;- it's just the tone of it in which people are presented with changes forced upon them without room to leave feedback prior to changes to figure out wether or not everyone is on the same page.

Offline zitruskiller

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 13
    • [PLRS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2013, 03:21:41 pm »
agree with moriarty and chango

Offline urm

• Salutes: 1
    • [PLRS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2013, 03:46:35 pm »
I agree with zitrus:)
Our team is having organization problems even now, on normal Cogs, and such big tournament isn't possible for us now.
Current Cogs are nice in case of it's shortness - anyone can play, having any amount of free time.

Offline urm

• Salutes: 1
    • [PLRS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2013, 03:50:04 pm »
This idea would work, if GoIO's community is something like Dota's community: with pro teams, which can spend all those time on game. Now we haven't such community, so big tournament just can't happen.

Offline JaceBoojah

• Salutes: 42
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2013, 04:08:21 pm »
We all have time to find players available and form or reorganize our teams.

If you cant make it that is just bad luck.

If you want a tournament that you can control all the details of, make one.

please, I want a ton more events.

Offline N-Sunderland

• Salutes: 281
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2013, 04:11:59 pm »

Salute

Offline Helmic

• Salutes: 35
    • [NCNS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2013, 05:39:49 pm »

You are aware that boils down to "too bad, go away" right?  That's a completely unacceptable attitude for what's supposed to be a friendly community event.  Not everyone can easily form teams, not everyone is instantly recognizable in the community and can form their own cults if they so desire.  There shouldn't be this active effort to dick with people who are struggling to keep up as it is.  Believe it or not, those complaining aren't doing so just to ruin your fun, there's a serious downside to splitting the incredibly small competitive community into different tournaments, we WANT the Cogs to be the big event of GoI.  It truly is not terrible for the Cogs to be a bit more accommodating if that means it's not turning away people who want to participate.

I'm fairly confident Qwerty and Swallow aren't thinking this stuff up just to whittle down the participants to the true poopsockers, but there does need to be more thought put into big stuff like this and their impact on those participating.  These games should be for those playing first and foremost, the spectators and the channel views are a nice bonus but they should not come at the cost of pissing off the players.  Just ask for input on this stuff, it's so damn hard to get a small team together as it is without having to deal with big changes on short notice.

Offline Captain Smollett

• Salutes: 122
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2013, 10:55:19 pm »
I actually think Swallow legitimately put a lot of thought in this and I do see some merit to his idea.

That being said I believe the Paddling to be a relatively organised team and even we would likely have some trouble getting organised for such a large event in such a short period of time.

I really like the idea of having another tournament, but I think one of the things that made the last one so very successful was that it was announced well over a month in advance.

Hopefully Swallow understands this to be constructive criticism meant not to disparage his significant efforts but rather to build upon the great work he and Qwerty have already done.

Offline JaceBoojah

• Salutes: 42
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2013, 12:08:42 am »

You are aware that boils down to "too bad, go away" right?  That's a completely unacceptable attitude for what's supposed to be a friendly community event.  Not everyone can easily form teams, not everyone is instantly recognizable in the community and can form their own cults if they so desire.  There shouldn't be this active effort to dick with people who are struggling to keep up as it is.  Believe it or not, those complaining aren't doing so just to ruin your fun, there's a serious downside to splitting the incredibly small competitive community into different tournaments, we WANT the Cogs to be the big event of GoI.  It truly is not terrible for the Cogs to be a bit more accommodating if that means it's not turning away people who want to participate.

I'm fairly confident Qwerty and Swallow aren't thinking this stuff up just to whittle down the participants to the true poopsockers, but there does need to be more thought put into big stuff like this and their impact on those participating.  These games should be for those playing first and foremost, the spectators and the channel views are a nice bonus but they should not come at the cost of pissing off the players.  Just ask for input on this stuff, it's so damn hard to get a small team together as it is without having to deal with big changes on short notice.

I say these things knowing the effort that goes into putting on events, and knowing that there is a lot of work and thought put into cogs.

There is no effort to dick with anyone.  CoGs is not and cannot be for everyone. It's for team players who have put in the effort or had someone else put in the effort for them to form a team, practice, and show up

Take my personal cogs story for example:

When Cogs started I saw that I was not going to be able to play, I didn't know anyone personally in the game and had not made any name for myself yet.  I started by trying to form my own clan, and started working on an everyone can join tournament called sky kinds.  Both failed. 
After crewing Smollets ship in normal games and having a great time he asked me if I wanted to be a duck.
Maybe a week and a half before the Raft played their first game I tried out for one of the 2 captain spots.  I lost to Ccrack and ended up as the gunner for Hizumi.  later because so many Ducks wanted to play in cogs I earned a captain spot on the 3rd ducks team, the Brood.

Even though the Brood has only played 2 matches, something like 17 different players have been on the Brood.
player sometimes can't make a game, some disappear, some stop playing GOI, some move on to captain their own teams, some come and fill in for one game.

You recruit when you sign up, and you recruit be for every single game. Thats just how it is.

I am in CoGs because of Squashes effort, Smollets effort, My effort, My various crew and teammate's effort, and all the people who put on the cog's effort.

IT TAKES A LOT OF EFFORT TO BE IN COGS.

If you don't like these facts about cogs make your own event.  Seriously I want more events!  I myself have spent over 30 hrs trying to get non cogs events going.

Offline Machiavelliest

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2013, 05:47:59 am »
This has a potential to become an all-day event. For many who don't fall in the 'all-day' time zones, this is grueling. 3am through 8 or 9am is rough.  We can't all donate our entire Saturdays (Sundays here) to this game or event.  "Shut up or piss off" marginalizes and alienates the community.  I think all the criticism here is constructive and should be listened to--how can you host a major event for a wirldwide playerbase without people bringing up issues they have with its construction.  Telling people you're taking your ball and going home because you think they're pussing out and not committed enough is ludicrous.  And since you've spent 30 hours working on an event and the issue for many is being able to commit that much time to a video game, I think you can see telling people to go make their own event is illogical.

Offline Shinkurex

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 102
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2013, 10:02:16 am »
*Off subject 1 min*
Seriously I want more events!  I myself have spent over 30 hrs trying to get non cogs events going.

Yes I want to see about setting up squid racing in the Labyrinth... that'd be fun as all get out

*Back on subject*

I agree with Machiavelliest here. We do not want to alienate some of the greatest members of our community with this. I enjoy fighting in the cogs, and I do not want it to stop. Now the issue I have with the current line of discussion, is there there is no one suggesting what we do to fix the issue, except for Moriarty. Truth is, there are a lot of people who would like to see a tournament style close to the cogs. This is a bit short notice I agree, but what can we do to help alleviate this. Maybe we don't do this over the span of 1 day, but 1 week (Or the equivalent of Sats).... That way we can better accommodate peoples schedules somewhat.

So let me open the floor to you. Who has ideas to make the end tourney work?

Offline Machiavelliest

• View Profile
Re: "The Cogs" Week 8 - Discussion
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2013, 10:44:01 am »
Extend the season (this season) and begin the tournament prior to the season, playing the tournament matches that don't involve current COGs match teams concurrently.  Yes, that means early tourney matches will be played at the same time as the COGs.  That's the NCAA and every other sports television network's solution.

Offline Moriarty

• Salutes: 18
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
Re: "The Cogs" Week 8 - Discussion
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2013, 10:54:00 am »
Extend the season (this season) and begin the tournament prior to the season, playing the tournament matches that don't involve current COGs match teams concurrently.  Yes, that means early tourney matches will be played at the same time as the COGs.  That's the NCAA and every other sports television network's solution.

I'm sure there is value in this suggestion, but i don't understand.