Author Topic: Harpoon damage  (Read 7571 times)

Offline Daft Loon

• Salutes: 47
    • [◕_◕]
    • View Profile
Harpoon damage
« on: March 25, 2016, 11:28:06 pm »
Its back as a fun joke weapon but is there any real reason for it to have joke damage, if it had slightly more armor damage (maybe equal to unarmed mines) and at least double balloon damage it would be an interesting gun to bring seriously as well as for joke builds. I can't think of any reason it might become op or overlap another guns niche.

Offline Solidusbucket

• Salutes: 93
    • [SkBo]
    • View Profile
Re: Harpoon damage
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2016, 11:54:43 pm »
I was playing a match the other night (last night?) with some vets (who visit this forum). One of them kept taking pyramidion with mine / harpoon.

Anyways, multiple times I did not notice we were harpooned until I noticed the rope.

A few times I noticed because I was trying to reverse.

My point is: I should have noticed the harpoon hit each and every time. My lack of harpoon awareness was not due to my incompetence (for those that will try to attack me for that).

Offline Kamoba

• Salutes: 175
    • [♫]
    • View Profile
    • Robin and Magpie Leather
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2016, 08:46:39 am »
I was playing a match the other night (last night?) with some vets (who visit this forum). One of them kept taking pyramidion with mine / harpoon.

Anyways, multiple times I did not notice we were harpooned until I noticed the rope.

A few times I noticed because I was trying to reverse.

My point is: I should have noticed the harpoon hit each and every time. My lack of harpoon awareness was not due to my incompetence (for those that will try to attack me for that).

Because whoever shot the poon did not click to pull, I noticed the same thing against harpoons recently too, not enough people are clicking after the shot, they're leaving the gun to do repairs or buffs or spots, which is why I agree with Dementio, the pull should be automatic.

Offline Richard LeMoon

• Muse Games
  • Salutes: 284
    • [Muse]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2016, 12:01:28 pm »
Automatic once you click, you mean. I would Also leave the harpoon attached much longer while it is in free mode. This makes it more of a strategic timing weapon and less of a kneejerk thing. You can harpoon the enemy and wait for the best time to pull rather than taking any shot your can get.

And yes, it needs quite a bit more damage as well as the ability to stick in balloons.

Offline ZnC

• Salutes: 40
    • [♫]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2016, 01:10:32 pm »
Needs "Right-click to reel" tool tip.

Offline Richard LeMoon

• Muse Games
  • Salutes: 284
    • [Muse]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2016, 06:57:18 pm »
Agreed. Sending feedback.

Offline Jamini

• Salutes: 2
    • [NEV]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2016, 03:09:25 pm »
Honestly my main issue with the harpoon is that you lose out on a lot of damage or disable power in the arc it is in, in exchange for... keeping your enemy in that arc. For many ships, that tradeoff isn't very good.

Goldfish: Only one light gun per side. Using a harpoon makes it harder to bring your front gun to bear.
Pyra: 50% loss of damage wherever the harpoon is located., which is huge considering how poorly you turn. It is useful for preventing flanks if you hook someone with the rear port gun.
Junker: Junker turning is already good, and junkers have two decent broadsides and a fairly small blindspot. Munkers might be able to use it better than a standard junker. (throw mines, pull enemies into mines?)
Spire: Spire's have good turn accelleration. There is some argument for it as a fourth (pilot) gun, but overall I'm not sold on how effective it would be. (This might be worth testing. Use a harpoon instead of flying as pilot to keep an enemy in your front arc?)
Mobula: Mobulas have a fairly consistant trifecta, but you lose 33% of your firepower using it. MIght be useful as a top deck gun in a brawling build (pilot gun?)
Galleon: Probably the most popular harpoon ship. The left light gun can be used to keep from being flanked and to pull enemies into the heavy gun arcs. Still questionable when compared to a double hwacha+gat. Might be decent with a Minotaur+Hwacha or Mino+H.Flank combo with really excellent crew. (Hook them, turn them away, then finish with the explosive hits?)
Squid : Not useful on the front or left side guns. Could be useful as a rear gun to disrupt ships as you fly past. Potential use with a flamer - phoboes - harpoon loadout? (flame on driveby, mine on near side of enemy, yank them into the mine?)

Overall, the low damage, difficulty of use, and poor control options still make the Harpoon a tough sell for me.

Offline Solidusbucket

• Salutes: 93
    • [SkBo]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2016, 03:30:03 pm »
I tried it on a spire as a pilot. It sucked. Just pulled myself and the enemy ship out of arc of main gun. Pilot needs to be on helm to make it effective.

Offline Jamini

• Salutes: 2
    • [NEV]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2016, 03:43:00 pm »
Hrm, really? From the few times I've used a harpoon, it always pulls your ship into the arc of the harpoon (as well as pulling them). How did it pull you out of arc?