Author Topic: Anime Discussions?  (Read 142034 times)

Offline Arturo Sanchez

• Salutes: 119
    • [AI]
    • View Profile
    • My spaghetti channel
Re: Anime Discussions?
« Reply #195 on: January 29, 2016, 09:16:37 pm »
Have seen the shill anime coming out for sega?

They release one every year now and they are all terrible unapologetic shill-fests.

Currently there is an anime phantasy star online 2...

Plot? A random guy got recruited into the student council. And everyone on it plays pso2 to demonstrate "teamwork and ability", so the main guy has to become a mmo addict and get the mad lootz on council run raids to earn... his place at the student council he never wanted to be in in the first place (and prolly to get with the hot student prez).

Don't talk about the universe, nop the ragnarok online made that mistake. Instead lets write a terrible school romance story where mmo addiction gets you mad puss and good grades and prolly a job at sega (oh...).

Offline Squidslinger Gilder

• Salutes: 287
    • [TBB]
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: January 30, 2016, 01:21:10 am »
Yeah I'm pretty disappointed. Instead of actually making an anime about the PSO universe they did that...

Was kinda looking somewhat forward to PSO too. I'm not a fan but I've played the PSP ports and other than the worst heroine in the history of female characters in game being the female lead of PSP2, the story and setup was interesting enough.

Yeah I saw the Ragnarok online anime. Half the show was decent, the rest...ugg. Painful to watch. Specially after they did the class change and the characters didn't behave the same way anymore.

I guess I might watch PSO2 through as it seems like they may be trying to cross the real world with MMO at some point judging from that one girl's character. But theres other great shows to see.

Erased is really showing up to be a must see. Murder mystery/time travel one. Then Snow White of the Red Hair is back. GATE is back too. Heavy Object is holding steady although they are getting into a 60s Batman groove with the battles. Garo....well nvm that one, been a rather big disappointment when compared to the original.

Pandora was the only show so far I dropped after about 10 minutes. All female cast fan service genre just needs to die already. Norn has been tenuous since it started. I'm okay with the shoujo manga vibe it gives off but the characters and story are very subpar. It seems like it is building to something, just taking it's time.

Norn is kind of the opposite of Utawaremono. That show has the characters and a rich world but it just doesn't do anything with them. Took them about 13 episodes to get to any semblance of progressing the story which it teases at in the first two episodes and then just sits on with cameos from the original series filling in the dead air.

Offline ShadedExalt

• Salutes: 76
    • [♫]
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: January 31, 2016, 06:38:52 pm »
GATE is awesome.  One of the more interesting premises I've seen, but other than buffing mages immensely, throwing endless Fire Drakes at the JSDF, or closing the titular Gate, the only real threats I see are from the outside, namely the USSR and America, as they've already shown that they're willing to kill JSDF personnel to get their hands on the Elf and Demigoddess.

Offline C r o w

• Salutes: 15
    • [Lock]
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: January 31, 2016, 10:21:41 pm »
The thing that interests me the most about GATE is the series of shenanigans happening at the imperial palace between the children of the emperor.
Ib4 trying to dogfight a dragon with a F4E Phantom II

• [TBB]
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: January 31, 2016, 10:46:15 pm »
ZOMG who else saw Grimgar tonight?! I kinda felt what happened tonight was coming because the series tries to be a bit more realistic about the "trapped in a gameworld" genre but still...oooo got good.

I'm interested in the military tech the JSDF brought into GATE. Really F4s? I'd have thought they'd have taken something a bit less fuel hungry. Sure its a good multirole fighter/bomber but still, Japan right now has 154 F-15s. Heck even the F-2s would have been better. Perhaps this speaks of the government's willingness to really invest in the special region. Sending old worn out F-4s. Course their only major air combat would be dragon fighting. The rest is a lot of recon flying. Course considering that, even more...take something a bit more fuel efficient. Unless they are that confident in their supply line staying open. Makes me wonder what would happen if the GATE did shut? If it's been open for awhile, there has to be some sort of power source or something keeping it open. How long till that ends? Maybe we'll see some of this happen later.

Offline Arturo Sanchez

• [AI]
    • View Profile
    • My spaghetti channel
« Reply #200 on: January 31, 2016, 11:57:32 pm »
the twist on grimgar was obvious.

okay... putting pointless emphasis on this character in a plotwise pointless scene. Japanese writing just doesn't get that obvious traits like that makes the story so easy to predict.

The tone of and premise of the series is good, but I honestly can't put it up as anything more than something that is better than the meh that is out there. Sadly no better alternatives.

At least with sword art you could poke fun of it for simply being all around awful. Puts in ridiculous plot devices that you can't observe with a straight face.

Grimgar though hasn't quite gotten that dumb yet, but the development is slow, plot progression is slow and the recent episode was inevitable. It shouldn't have taken 4 episodes.

• [TBB]
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: February 01, 2016, 01:34:58 am »
Yeah my gundam senses were tingling all over that character. I do like that they went exactly where I was hoping they would in showing how the Gobs finally got fed up with being farmed and decided to go hunt the adventurers.

Meh I still love SAO. It isn't perfect but I can easily rewatch the series more than others. Music score has a lot to do with that. Although I do enjoy the characters, when they aren't harem anime troping super much. Don't play the SAO Vita games if you hate harem tropes...oh its literally 25 levels of Aincrad with nothing but them.

Log Horizon I like for it's representation of MMO endgame players and the fact it actually gives a pretty good translation of endgame play to anime. SAO doesn't do this well at all. Log Horizon is more like out current MMOs so there is something for all types of players from tanks to healers. SAO is like an MMO if it was made for just dps players. It tries to go beyond that in Alfheim but its still a dpser's dream MMO. Rotate players and share damage till the boss collapses/etc.

I really want to see Grimgar go somewhere but I dunno if it will. It's not as slow as Utawaremono, which btw just finally explained the backstory it was sitting on for over a dozen episodes. The change last episode in Grimgar I hope will be the trigger that will get the others moving. They were on a very casual farming pace and now with that happening I hope it will finally really open up the characters and get them thinking more seriously. The ending shows the other group too and I think it also hints at another character joining the scrub party. So hopefully this will be good. They need a healer no matter what. If the author followed traditional MMO healer classes, there is still a lot of options.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2016, 01:36:31 am by Gilder Unfettered »

Offline Arturo Sanchez

• [AI]
    • View Profile
    • My spaghetti channel
« Reply #202 on: February 01, 2016, 05:39:28 am »
I don't mind harem games so long as there's an actual H-ending as the reward.
And the harem genres are fine so long as it plays with it.

e.g. how ouran clearly shows that every guy is in love with the main character, but doesn't make it a horridly obvious glomp fest. Or how schools days ends with the main character getting done in for simply saying yes everytime. Or how the world god only knows actually teaches new weebs each trait with each arc.

SAO... is trash fiction at its trashiest (practically .hack fanfiction). The main guy is a Gary Stu, wins without ever truly struggling, his harem exists simply because of main character pheromones and its popularity is because of its high action and production value while being not as smart as .hack as to not challenge viewers with the arduous task of thinking.

Grimgar doesn't do this. But if its going to step up it better step up big. It did the good first step, kill the gary stu and martyr him. It's wasted two episodes on nothing otherwise.

Now going by plot formula, the revenge arc should be next. They get in over their heads because these characters are the dumb noob rpg players trope. However in some anime this arc is skipped in favour of a time skip where they have trained to become better (seriously I learned every lazy trick in writing through anime). But generally speaking this series thus far doesn't have a true conflict yet. Like an outright goal for the plot to aim for. And that is poor time wasting. It needs to show the big world reveal soon.

In no game no life. The premise was established from day 1. They were going to take over the world and beat god and thus went ahead for it.

Offline Hunter.

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 23
    • [T.Pr]
    • View Profile
    • My Hummingbird (Anime Website)
« Reply #203 on: February 07, 2016, 07:02:49 pm »
Opinions on best shows of this season so far?

Personally;

Tier 1: Phantom World, Dagashi Kashi, KonoSuba,
Tier 2: Erased, Grimgar, Dimension W,
Tier 3: Shoujo-tachi, Four Rhythm,

I don't think there is anything I've disliked, some shows have had a bad episode or 2, but as a whole - it's been a brilliant season for me.

What are your opinions?

Also, I'd like to leave this here in case there are any other HB users (basically, a better MAL):
https://hummingbird.me/users/kane_vanner

Offline C r o w

• Salutes: 15
    • [Lock]
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: February 09, 2016, 03:49:54 pm »
What do you people think about the so famed One Punch Man?
Is it really overrated? Why is it?

Offline Hunter.

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 23
    • [T.Pr]
    • View Profile
    • My Hummingbird (Anime Website)
« Reply #205 on: February 09, 2016, 06:06:34 pm »
It would have made a nice OVA series, since it's a single joke I don't feel it needed a whole series.. but whatever, I just wish people didn't make such a fuss over it.

Offline Arturo Sanchez

• [AI]
    • View Profile
    • My spaghetti channel
« Reply #206 on: February 28, 2016, 03:21:08 pm »
What do you people think about the so famed One Punch Man?
Is it really overrated? Why is it?

the anime studio didn't get the joke of the series.

When Saitama destroys something it shouldn't be epic. It should be underwhelming. Because thats the joke. He just does a simple punch and things explode into pieces with barely any effort or flair.

Instead its made into a superman punch. Looks great but ruins the joke.

On other news though  I've noticed anime are using a new format because ending songs for the longest times have been skipped.

So instead of having a preview after the ending song, the conclusive portion of the episode becomes a stinger and then the next episode preview plays. Interesting idea. Still doesn't change the fact that ending songs are rarely ever any good.

Grimgar update. Series is still moving at a snails pace. If you just watch every two episodes, you get a fairly well paced series.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2016, 03:23:15 pm by Maximillian Jazzhand »

Offline High King Thorgrim

• Salutes: 1
    • [CsM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: March 21, 2016, 02:19:49 pm »
Cant say im an avid anime watcher but i do enjoy good shows wether animated or not so here we go:

First anime: Naruto
Favourite anime of all time: Clannad After Story
Favourite anime this season: Ajin
Favourite anime last season: hehe cant remember if i watched anything last season maybe SNAFU?
Anime you secretly enjoy(ed): Weird question but the 30 year old virgin was actually kind of fun later on
Most hated antagonist: Can not say, I generally do not hate the bad guys
Most loved protagonist: Light from deathnote
Favourite relationship: Clannad again :P
Waifu: clannad?
Over-rated anime: Naruto, Evangelion, Code Geass, Gintama, Monster ( I am probably stepping on a lot of toes here lol)
Under-rated anime: Hellsing
Personal anime fact: I do not really enjoy romance movies/shows so its weird that clannad is my favorite.

• [TBB]
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: March 21, 2016, 03:37:23 pm »
Well one show I gave up on this season. Norn.

Got about 9 episodes in and I couldn't take it anymore. Everyone is traumatized, everyone is clueless, characters are extremely predictable, and it goes from trope to trope to the point I just root for the bad guys. Some episodes were also just so painfully dry.

Konosuba was a high point. Glad it's getting a second season. Was a nice spoof of MMOs. Grimgar, even in the slow episodes, still very much enjoy it. Utawaremono finally got decent after it got over it's pointless harem storyline...which sadly was most of the entire series. But that show is really not living up to it's potential. It could have been so much better.

Offline Arturo Sanchez

• [AI]
    • View Profile
    • My spaghetti channel
« Reply #209 on: March 23, 2016, 11:28:56 am »
lol Helsing underrated lol...

its like saying trigun is unheard of.