Author Topic: Open Testing Tuesdays  (Read 6357 times)

Offline Richard LeMoon

• Muse Games
  • Salutes: 284
    • [Muse]
    • View Profile
Open Testing Tuesdays
« on: March 19, 2016, 09:58:26 am »
In a game I used to write for, we used to have community wide testing directly in the game on certain days. This gave a much needed broader sample base. The next day, all changes were reverted and feedback was collected. Sometimes we made some big, silly, crazy overpowered changes just for fun as well.

Since balance changes are all happening serverside and no client update is needed, what does everyone think of having a day like this once a week/bi-weekly/monthly?

Offline Hoja Lateralus

• Salutes: 135
    • [ψ꒜]
    • View Profile
Re: Open Testing Tuesdays
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2016, 10:07:02 am »
We have it and it's called "patch day (or week)" ;]

Offline Kamoba

• Salutes: 175
    • [♫]
    • View Profile
    • Robin and Magpie Leather
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2016, 11:37:18 am »
I like this idea Rich, and as you mentioned, if it's done in a way it does not need to be serious every week, allowing crazy changes (Gravity being 10x stronger, or popped balloons launching ships upwards.) It could be a lot of fun, it could help Muse a lot too and allow those "little tweaks" over "big gameplay changes" to be a thing.

It has my vote.

Offline Daft Loon

• Salutes: 47
    • [◕_◕]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2016, 04:09:39 pm »
Give it a large announcement box with an in game list of the days changes so everyone has some likelihood of noticing and I would be all for it. Maybe in the spot that displays wanted signups currently (not sure what the timing would be it it was between wanted 'seasons').

Offline Hoja Lateralus

• Salutes: 135
    • [ψ꒜]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2016, 09:22:26 pm »
Give it a large announcement box with an in game list of the days changes so everyone has some likelihood of noticing and I would be all for it.

Wasn't this kind of thing suppose to be launcher's job?

Offline Daft Loon

• Salutes: 47
    • [◕_◕]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2016, 10:00:43 pm »
Give it a large announcement box with an in game list of the days changes so everyone has some likelihood of noticing and I would be all for it.

Wasn't this kind of thing suppose to be launcher's job?

Yes, but if it requires opening an external browser very few people will bother and great confusion will occur, unless the launcher devoted most of its space to displaying the actual changelog on those days, which would work well enough.