Author Topic: Make ships easier to get around in  (Read 6787 times)

Offline VidyaBro

• Salutes: 1
    • [InSt]
    • View Profile
Make ships easier to get around in
« on: March 08, 2016, 12:31:09 am »
Searching for a thread pertaining to this topic didn't bring up any obvious relevant threads, so feel free to direct me to one if it already exists.

I've noticed after playing for a while that most if not all ships are constructed in ways that require players to move in roundabout fashions to access different parts of the ship (some more than others).
I suppose this isn't inherently awful (requiring more coordination on the crew's part, etc.), but the awkward collision boxes of ships' 'terrain' often make running back and forth very annoying as ledges/steps/other small obstacles impede movement and force the player to bunnyhop around to try and 'scale' what should be traversible by simply running around in most cases.
Other issues include being completely walled off from what look like scalable areas, clipping/falling through parts of ships, and being able to run straight off certain edges to your 'death.'

I realize this is not an easy thing to fix and that each ship has its own quirks, but I really think putting a little more priority on 'streamlining' ship decks' collision geometry would go a long way toward improving overall player experience.

Offline Solidusbucket

• Salutes: 93
    • [SkBo]
    • View Profile
Re: Make ships easier to get around in
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2016, 12:47:47 am »
A lot of the design is intentional. There are a few glitches that are bothersome but it doesn't seem like you mentioned the one I am thinking of (the only one I ever run into). Jumping around is actually part of the game. Here is a great video on all the shortcuts to repairing. It is very neat what you can do but what is not taught in the tutorials. After 2500 some odd matches I finally found this video and learned about 4 things from it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xK9hOU92chE

Mind you, some of the information about the specific repairs are off but all the routes / jumps are correct. He mentioned constantly clicking to hit with spanner. You can just hold down the mouse button. Not sure if there are any other outdated information.

Offline OverlordEgg

• Salutes: 2
    • [◕_◕]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2016, 09:20:28 am »
I definitely don't want to lose the parkour aspect of the ships. I think the way they're currently designed makes them interesting and unique to engineer on and finding what little jumps and skips and shortcuts you can take to be as efficient as possible is what makes engineering fun.

That said, if they went about fixing up the glitchy things (sticking to walls, floating up guns,  passing through components, difficulty falling to the bottom of the spire ladder without sticking to the wall or ladder somewhere, etc.) they would definitely not be missed.

Offline Arturo Sanchez

• Salutes: 119
    • [AI]
    • View Profile
    • My spaghetti channel
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2016, 09:46:11 am »
I definitely don't want to lose the parkour aspect of the ships. I think the way they're currently designed makes them interesting and unique to engineer on and finding what little jumps and skips and shortcuts you can take to be as efficient as possible is what makes engineering fun.

That said, if they went about fixing up the glitchy things (sticking to walls, floating up guns,  passing through components, difficulty falling to the bottom of the spire ladder without sticking to the wall or ladder somewhere, etc.) they would definitely not be missed.

but the pyra balloon clipping trick so you can fix while facing forward inside the balloon.

Plus clipping into components are there for likely collision issues.

Offline DJ Logicalia

• Salutes: 191
    • [♫]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2016, 09:59:29 am »
Rubberbanding used to be so much worse. Ships are very smooth to run around on at this point. Every ship has an optimized path for you to reach every component that's within your jurisdiction as an engi. The main engi has one bit, and the other engi has another bit. These routes are very smooth. I'm honestly not sure which parts are roundabout at all

Offline Schwalbe

• Salutes: 178
    • [ψ꒜]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2016, 11:10:16 am »
Rubberbanding used to be so much worse. Ships are very smooth to run around on at this point. Every ship has an optimized path for you to reach every component that's within your jurisdiction as an engi. The main engi has one bit, and the other engi has another bit. These routes are very smooth. I'm honestly not sure which parts are roundabout at all

Look at his levels. I wouldn't be surprised if anyone ever showed him how to hit pyra's engine from below. (not an insult, just a cruel truth, when I see a fucking level 20-something engie using those sodding stairs to hit the engine)

Offline MightyKeb

• Salutes: 78
    • [GwTh]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2016, 12:54:10 pm »
If we're talking about bugs, I specifically dislike how you can get stuck on walls and matrix around the corridors of a Mobula. And most of the clipping bugs similiar to it (Main engine clipping on fish, getting stuck to the railings on pyra) have started happening when Stamina, a feature that was strongly disliked by the vet community during it's implementation, and a feature that strictly went against one of muse's class balance policies (No "special abilities", everyone has equal tool accessibility) was implemented.

Offline Mean Machine

• Salutes: 31
    • [T.Pr]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2016, 01:01:42 pm »

Haven't noticed any improvements myself aside from pyramidion. Mobula corridors and heavy gun on fish or spire are still major pain in the ass and very easy to get stuck there.

Offline Hoja Lateralus

• Salutes: 135
    • [ψ꒜]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2016, 02:10:37 pm »
And most of the clipping bugs (...) have started happening when Stamina, a feature that was strongly disliked by the vet community during it's implementation, and a feature that strictly went against one of muse's class balance policies (No "special abilities", everyone has equal tool accessibility) was implemented.

I'm glad you pointed that out :)