Author Topic: Ally ship name display  (Read 17839 times)

Offline Schwalbe

• Salutes: 178
    • [ψ꒜]
    • View Profile
Re: Ally ship name display
« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2016, 04:38:40 am »
Also, I want to point out, that this will remove goofy explainations of hitting an ally with mines.

"Oh, I'm sorry I thought you were an enemy [trollface]"

"YOU CAN SEE MY NAME CLEARLY"

[awkward silence]

[lochnagar mines]

No, thank you.

Offline OverlordEgg

• Salutes: 2
    • [◕_◕]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2016, 12:16:16 pm »
I'm sorry to say I disagree with this being a cha ge to encourage team work..
What I see is "Let's encourage team work by adding a feature which removes the need to communicate ship positioning."

The more "quality of life" features which get added to "encourage team work" would simply result in much less communication required.

Correct me if I'm wrong but, when training team work and cooperation, the encouraging of communication, especially essential and potentially essential information is a strong part of that.

So sorry guys, I disagree, I think this "quality of life feature" is just another "let's make this less team play" and I very much doubt any amount of debating, arguing and disagreeing will sell me to like this idea.

"Is that our ally's name on the screen?"

"Oh yeah so it is. This changes my plan completely. Let's go fly away from the battle and never speak again. Clearly teamwork was never intended to be in this game."

I see where you're coming from, but I think you're overreacting a bit with the whole "Oh no if we add this all teamwork will stop" routine. For all we know it could encourage better tactical coordination by polluting the comms with less irrelevant chatter.

Offline Giersdorf

• Salutes: 0
    • [♦]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2016, 01:12:54 pm »
This is a no for me, it's part of the way battling goes... Sorry.

Offline Atruejedi

• Salutes: 64
    • [❤❤❤]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2016, 02:21:59 pm »
Why not just add the ability to spot allied ships? And spotted friendly ships will appear with some indication that they're friendly. Problem solved.

Offline Schwalbe

• Salutes: 178
    • [ψ꒜]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2016, 02:50:43 pm »
That is some solution, but not without flaws.

As it is right now, when you see a white rectangle with a name - you know it's an enemy. You don't have to focus on it, mere glance is enough to know.

Your idea breaks that a little, unless, I don't know - allied spot has completely different color; which still doesn't change a different fact - it might litter the bloody screen.

Also, this still screws with the idea of general communication between captains and crews mentioned earlier.

This is how I see this, I mean - first things that comes to my mind from a gameplay design standpoint. ^^

Offline The Djinn

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 19
    • [CA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 05, 2016, 10:32:14 am »
This is how I see this, I mean - first things that comes to my mind from a gameplay design standpoint. ^^

I'd definitely agree on the UI clutter.

I think the simplest solution would be to simply brighten the team colors on ships, or increase the number of places those colors occur. It's subtle, but would increase visibility without invalidating the need for communication.

Offline OverlordEgg

• [◕_◕]
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 07, 2016, 06:10:54 pm »

I think the simplest solution would be to simply brighten the team colors on ships, or increase the number of places those colors occur. It's subtle, but would increase visibility without invalidating the need for communication.

I disagree with the UI clutter. In fact, I've seen this put into practice in almost every other team game I've played. Warthunder, Depth, or even slightly more relatable, World of Warships. All of these indicate who's a teammate in some way, and that's just the tip of the iceberg. I could make the list waaaay longer. It didn't ruin the experience, it didn't "dumb down" the experience, it didn't fill my screen with "clutter." In practice, this is something you can see at work all over the place, and yet here it's such a threat to our intelligence and gaming experience? Please. It's just a small change that would at worst make the game look slightly more polished, and as far as I see it, goi could use a little polish.

Offline OverlordEgg

• [◕_◕]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 07, 2016, 07:33:09 pm »
I would also like to point out that we've already removed the need to communicate our exact position by putting it on the map. So, I guess the proper solution is to remove the map? Don't want the game to be too easy for people.

Offline Arturo Sanchez

• Salutes: 119
    • [AI]
    • View Profile
    • My spaghetti channel
« Reply #23 on: March 07, 2016, 07:42:02 pm »
I say so long as the spot is merely ship names floating as opposed to the spot squares seen on enemy ships makes it easy enough to not confuse matters.

Thats the only reason really stopping the game (besides possible technical issues as a result which I doubt to be THAT bad).

Offline The Djinn

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 19
    • [CA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 07, 2016, 08:13:40 pm »

I disagree with the UI clutter. In fact, I've seen this put into practice in almost every other team game I've played. Warthunder, Depth, or even slightly more relatable, World of Warships. All of these indicate who's a teammate in some way, and that's just the tip of the iceberg. I could make the list waaaay longer. It didn't ruin the experience, it didn't "dumb down" the experience, it didn't fill my screen with "clutter." In practice, this is something you can see at work all over the place, and yet here it's such a threat to our intelligence and gaming experience? Please. It's just a small change that would at worst make the game look slightly more polished, and as far as I see it, goi could use a little polish.

Words in my mouth much? When did I accuse it of anything close to dumbing down the game?

As for UI clutter, I enjoy the relative sparseness of GoI. Purely personal preference. I would rather not have more information on my screen. That's all. I haven't found many situations where my piloting or gunning has been seriously impeded by the lack of this feature (I understand others may disagree), so to me it isn't worth the trade-off of more UI elements that I personally find unappealing in this specific game for personal aesthetic reasons.

Offline OverlordEgg

• [◕_◕]
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 07, 2016, 08:21:06 pm »
Words in my mouth much? When did I accuse it of anything close to dumbing down the game?

Sorry, I was addressing everybody, not just you. Didn't mean to imply you said everything. And I don't mean to imply that this is the best thing ever, or that it would revolutionize goi, but people are shooting it down with reasoning like "oh we'll all become stupider, the game will be too simple." I don't know about you, but I don't think I'd miss the noob teammates emptying their hwacha into me.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2016, 08:23:31 pm by OverlordEgg »

Offline Arturo Sanchez

• Salutes: 119
    • [AI]
    • View Profile
    • My spaghetti channel
« Reply #26 on: March 07, 2016, 10:09:25 pm »
Since the captain will almost never carry a spyglass

I miss those days... It reminds of days when I gave a crap while pubbing.