Author Topic: Engineer Strategy Dicussion  (Read 54858 times)

Offline AWildGodzilla

• Salutes: 3
    • View Profile
    • My Stream Site on ocassions.
Re: Engineer Strategy Dicussion
« Reply #45 on: May 03, 2013, 01:23:33 am »
Hmmm engineer paradise. ~.~ yum.

Offline Machiavelliest

• Salutes: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 05, 2013, 03:18:40 am »
The only time I can see bringing buff hammer as a pilot is long range Spire or Galleon.  Otherwise you should be flying.

Offline AWildGodzilla

• Salutes: 3
    • View Profile
    • My Stream Site on ocassions.
« Reply #47 on: May 09, 2013, 07:52:57 pm »
More likely to have dead components with the extinguisher? That's just plain wrong. If your hull is getting spammed with a flamer, then it'll take you several seconds to put it out with the chem spray. Meanwhile, every other component that's on fire will be dying. And while you're spending time using several sprays on each component, the hull protection will run out and it'll take damage anyways. With the extinguisher, on the other hand, you can spray one component once, run to the next one, spray it once or twice, etc. The repair from the mallet should be more than enough to counter any damage done by fire.
How many times have i tried to explain what u just said to other people the time wasted triying to use the chem spray is massive and it reduces your over all repair worth if u wanna run chem make sure the other engie has a Fire extenguisher cheers.

Offline HamsterIV

• Salutes: 328
    • View Profile
    • Monkey Dev
« Reply #48 on: May 13, 2013, 01:05:41 pm »
What are people's thoughts about greased rounds for the primary engineer? Normally I bring or tell the primary engineer to bring what is most effective for the side gun (flame-lesmok, banshee/artimis-burst). However I realize the faster the side gun can empty its clip the faster the main engine can get back to his primary job. Also on fast passes the window of opportunity for the side gun is very slim, and the more shots you can get out, the better.

Offline RearAdmiralZill

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 144
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 13, 2013, 01:10:55 pm »
What are people's thoughts about greased rounds for the primary engineer? Normally I bring or tell the primary engineer to bring what is most effective for the side gun (flame-lesmok, banshee/artimis-burst). However I realize the faster the side gun can empty its clip the faster the main engine can get back to his primary job. Also on fast passes the window of opportunity for the side gun is very slim, and the more shots you can get out, the better.

I think a literal quality over quantity type explanation fits nicely. Depending on the boat, I think it's better to have what is best for what you want it doing rather than a general purpose ammo that may get you killed if the gun doesn't achieve what you really wanted it to.

Offline HamsterIV

• Salutes: 328
    • View Profile
    • Monkey Dev
« Reply #50 on: May 13, 2013, 01:21:40 pm »
All I really expect from a side gun (on a Pyramidion) is a little extra DPS when we are not getting shot at. The forward guns are the bread and butter of the build. The side is like a little sprinkle of oregano, and now I am hungry.

Offline RearAdmiralZill

• CA Mod
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 13, 2013, 01:23:31 pm »
All I really expect from a side gun (on a Pyramidion) is a little extra DPS when we are not getting shot at. The forward guns are the bread and butter of the build. The side is like a little sprinkle of oregano, and now I am hungry.

I did realize exactly what you are saying now a bit ago, and put a flare gun there to see how that went. Funny thing was it was quite useful.

Offline FightBoyVash

• Salutes: 20
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
    • Redstone Rampaga
« Reply #52 on: May 13, 2013, 01:44:04 pm »
What I do on Jace's ship is bring, Mallet, Spanner and Buff.

>Buff everything before fighting commences
>Keep hull and engines buffed at all times
>when fire it set, either Gungineer comes  down and puts out, OR click GO AFK and AI takes care of hull fire

Though fire isn't a problem most of the time, unless enemy build is BUILT for fire.

Offline RearAdmiralZill

• CA Mod
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 13, 2013, 03:26:52 pm »
>when fire it set, either Gungineer comes  down and puts out, OR click GO AFK and AI takes care of hull fire

That sounds like an exploit that needs fixing more than viable strategy to me.

Offline N-Sunderland

• Salutes: 281
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 13, 2013, 04:06:09 pm »

That sounds like an exploit that needs fixing more than viable strategy to me.

Agreed, that's pretty cheap.

Here's an idea for a fix: make the AI replacement have the same repair tools as the AFK engi. Have it switch to default tools if they disconnect completely.

Offline Ofiach

• Salutes: 25
    • [FALC]
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 13, 2013, 04:58:11 pm »
The best engineering strategy for a captain. Con Sunderland, Awildgodzilla, and Atmosdefiler to engineer one your ship at the same time.

In my experience (Atmos and Godzilla) main engis can pull some pretty amazing flare gun and Banshee work with my Pyri's side guns.

Also some of the teamwork I've seen just between the two big staples of my crew with single(usually incoherent)words, grunts, and cussing makes me 100% comfortable with only 1 of them bringing an extinguisher. But I run 3 engi's so I can have everything buffed/prebuffed and ready to roll. OH and there's a second chem/extinguisher and a set of nice repair tools*hides from Zill*

Just a specific set up that's been working well for me on the Pyri
Main deck engi------ mallet spanner buff
Balloon side engi--- mallet spanner chem/ext (gat side)
Right side engi------ spanner buff chem/ext (flak side)

The basic thinking is this, The main deck engi can keep the important things alive long enough for buffed weapons to massacre an enemy ship. The flak engi last hits the gat buff, then the gat gunner starts ripping, then the flak engi runs to his gun last hits the buff and pops the other ships cherry. At this point I might have some damage or fire that the flak side engi hops down to fix while the flak side engi switches to gat to keep up continuous damage if needed. It usually isn't because the first ship was blasted in about 10 seconds and my main deck engi has everything under control.

Any thoughts on that?

Seems to be working extremely well and in those "oh shit" moments where my crap piloting puts us in really bad positions we can limp long enough to get support from our ally.

Offline Machiavelliest

• Salutes: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 16, 2013, 03:39:27 am »
Ofiach, all your enemy has to do is set anything on fire and they've disabled one of your front guns.  It may be subject to my own piloting techniques, but other than a hull buff in a beak-to-beak against another Pyramidion, it's difficult to prefer the buff over the extinguisher for the main deck engineer.

Offline N-Sunderland

• [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 16, 2013, 07:47:01 am »
Exactly. The moment you're hit by a flare or flamer, you're losing that front engi for a bit.

Offline Shinkurex

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 102
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 16, 2013, 07:47:51 am »
Exactly. The moment you're hit by a flare or flamer, you're losing that front engi for a bit.

One of the main reasons why I stick flare guns on the sides of my goldfish :)

Offline N-Sunderland

• [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 16, 2013, 07:57:53 am »

One of the main reasons why I stick flare guns on the sides of my goldfish :)

I especially love landing a hit, waiting for them to have either extinguished it or half-extinguished it (chem spray) and then land the second hit.