Author Topic: Player-suggested tips  (Read 24078 times)

Offline Jamini

• Salutes: 2
    • [NEV]
    • View Profile
Re: Player-suggested tips
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2016, 11:32:16 am »
Crew: "Mines do distinguish between friend and foe. Be careful where you shoot them!"

Offline BlackenedPies

• Salutes: 134
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2016, 11:48:41 am »
Quote from: Jamini
What if you don't want to use a tool that might break a component? You don't want to phoenix claw if it will cost you a turning engine, but stamina might give you just enough torque to get an arc.

Kero and claw deal so little damage with so much benefit that there's no reason not to use them. Spanner repairs twice as fast as kero deals damage and you can safely burn it 20 seconds before needing repairs - and you're still faster than if your engines were at full health without kero. If your engine is gonna break if you use a tool then stamina won't help. If one of your engines is almost dead but the other is fine and you have to turn then burn it out and use stamina. Otherwise with just stamina you turn slower and lose precious time and stamina.

But that's a worst case scenario if your engine will die immediately when you start burning and there's no engi available. Even just a couple seconds of claw on a heavily damaged engine will let you turn much faster and give time for the engi to repair. There's no reason to use stamina to replace a tool you have because the damage is low with high benefit. Stamina costs much more since you only have 4 seconds worth and it takes 12.3 seconds to recharge 1 second

The best tip for new pilots is to use your tools. Burn burn burn kero and claw constantly and never be afraid to pop a hydro
« Last Edit: March 08, 2016, 12:15:38 pm by BlackenedPies »

Offline Kingsania

• Salutes: 2
    • [ALTO]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2016, 05:30:16 pm »
Someone should see if they are willing to make this a sticky thread so it can accumulate ideas over the longer term.

I am absolutely okay with this idea.

This would certainly be helpful. Unfortunately, with there being no editing after a day or so, would defeat the purpose of making such a list. I'd like to be able to ask the mods to set the post to being editable/pinned to the front, but of the three moderators for this section, only one was active after 2016 and he hadn't been on since the beginning of February. Which is a shame.

Thanks for your tips, guys! I'll set up the updated list in a day or two.

Offline Newbluud

• Salutes: 24
    • [T.Pr]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2016, 09:13:17 pm »
(just some randys because I'm shit tired. This might be parroting someone else but sorry not sorry)

Pilot:
- Your ship will turn to face a direction faster the slower it is moving horizontally. Lower your throttle or negate it altogether for faster and more precise turning.
- Every gun in the game will have its projectiles affected by the speed and direction of your ship. Moving frequently, erratically or quickly will result in less hits from your weaponry. Consider this especially with long-range set ups.
- When retreating, it is barely ever a good idea to turn your back to your enemy to flee. This will allow them to damage your engines making escape harder. Turning one-eighty also wastes precious time where you are likely to take damage. Instead, reverse away from your enemies allowing you to return fire and maintain consistent speed and maneuverability.

Gunner:
- Keep an eye on the direction and rotation of the ship you are on. It might be wise to hold fire until you have a steady platform to avoid wasting shots, as a ship's direction will throw you off target. Consider this especially with long-range weaponry.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2016, 09:19:50 pm by Newbluud »

Offline Solidusbucket

• Salutes: 93
    • [SkBo]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 09, 2016, 01:17:36 am »
PILOT
Tar damages your ship, your ally's ship and the enemy ship.

Quick swap hydrogen and chute vent. The benefits last for two seconds after deactivation.

Keep the crew informed of where the enemy is.

Assign components for each crew member to repair while in the lobby.

Stay within 750 meters of your ally ship unless you are scouting, flanking, or charging an enemy.

Most ships allow you to help with repairs. Some ships allow you to help shoot. Bring the appropriate tool and ammo.

Leave the spyglass and rangefinder to the crew.

Do not use tools if the component is about to break.

If a crewmate does not respond to your voice try typing. Some people do not have their volume up.

If the other team in the lobby is comprised of high level players ask for a ship swap to balance the match.

Silly builds can be fun for you but may be aggravating for the crew and your ally ship.

Understand what your engineers and gunners are capable of. This is best accomplished by experiencing it firsthand.

Clouds are great concealment unless they are flared. The enemy will see your silhouette if you are behind a flared cloud.

Offline C r o w

• Salutes: 15
    • [Lock]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 09, 2016, 03:38:21 am »
Having your ship on fire is always bad, remember to always have a crewman with a fire suppression tool.

Different guns have different firing arcs, try to position your ship so that they overlap.

The more gun arcs overlap, the more guns will be able to shoot on a single target.

Many ships are killed everyday by a harsh world, don't bump too much around, or yours will too.

Terrain doesn't take sides, it can damage both you and your enemies.

Different guns shoot different shots, different shots have different traveling speed, try to anticipate enemy movements accordingly, especially at long range.

Being an engineer doesn't mean you can't shoot, being a gunner doesn't mean you can't help with repairs: adapt to the situation's needs.

Don't see a player that is still learning as a nuisance, rather see him as an unpolished gem.

Try to learn every gun, you will know how to behave if either you or the enemy have them.

Altitude doesn't always mean advantage, some ships may be still able to outperform and outmaneuver you.

Gravity is the most dangerous enemy of an airship, fight it by keeping your balloon alive.

In the Merchant's Guild, nothing is impossible, as long as you have the money.

Some guns can disable with particular ease enemy guns, if you have the chance, do it! Your engineers will be grateful.

Heatsink rounds are the gunner's fire extinguisher.

Flare guns are a support weapon, but they can also deal a moderate amount of fire damage to enemy ships.

Offline Atruejedi

• Salutes: 64
    • [❤❤❤]
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 09, 2016, 04:38:41 am »
Someone should see if they are willing to make this a sticky thread so it can accumulate ideas over the longer term.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1a6i93Y7GcoapYwYm3Dshk7JW8j4mHstTi1VpRrS3jrA/edit#gid=0

Knock yourselves out :D

Let me know if you need me to edit anything.

Here, you can add tips and vote good, bad and what?.

I will also add a section for comments (although that may be a bad idea...)

If you're one of the loving people who despise me and wish to destroy the doc, I will not be making another.

This is PERFECT! Now I can correct these for grammar, spelling, and style! I'm super nit-picky and it must be PERFECT! Salute!

P.S. I just downloaded a copy JUST IN CASE...
« Last Edit: March 09, 2016, 04:41:56 am by Atruejedi »

Offline Atruejedi

• [❤❤❤]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 09, 2016, 06:10:56 am »
Some anonymous piece of shit already logged in while I was editing and deleted my comments and added random shit to the three feedback columns. It says "Atruejedi was here" so you know WHO GAVE FEEDBACK AND CURATED AND EDITED THE TIPS SO FAR. Holy shit, am I pissed. What the fuck? I'm backing it up as I go now... unbelievable. Seriously. Toxic assholes.

Offline The Mann

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 146
    • [Cake]
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 10, 2016, 01:52:12 am »
After some aggressive curation and unfair sharing of the original doc. *cough*

I altered the spreadsheet so that people can only put their tips and rank them Pilot, Engineer, Gunner or All.

If you wish to discuss the tip, you can do so in the Discussions Spreadsheet which can be found at the bottom of the page.

Enjoy.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1a6i93Y7GcoapYwYm3Dshk7JW8j4mHstTi1VpRrS3jrA/edit?usp=sharing

Offline Atruejedi

• [❤❤❤]
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 10, 2016, 04:50:06 am »
After some aggressive curation and unfair sharing of the original doc. *cough*

Hey, I spent two hours last night and two hours tonight going through these things. Wasn't that the point of the document? To add comments and edit the tool tips? To make them better for potential inclusion into the game? After being locked out of the document, I continued editing these tool tips for grammar, spelling, style, clarity, and length. I'm going to paste them here now. I think if you compare them to the originals, you'll see improvements. I'm pasting them here for more peer review. I have the document saved on my computer.

In the lobby, you can click the name of a ship to view its weapon loadout. Click the icon to the right of players' names to see their equipped tools. This allows you to learn what to bring and what to expect.
Pressing V brings up a selection of voice commands depending on if you're on the helm, guns, or walking around. Using this quickly will often be more effective than attempting to type or speak clearly.
Having more than one gunner on your ship gives you lots of ammunition choices, but the lack of repair tools often means there won't be enough operational guns to make use of all that ammo!
A gunner is not always needed on a ship. Some guns only need one ammunition type.
Most weapons cause two types of damage; check which types before you equip them on your ship. Piloting a "one trick pony" may be a handicap to yourself and your team.
Being the first captain to "ready up" is not necessarily a good thing. Your enemy is planning, scheming, and devising their strategy and loadouts carefully. Do your homework!
No matter how quick, skilled, or aware you are, ship components will break and you will need the appropriate equipment to deal with many different situations. Learn your tools!
Engineers are capable of firing the ship's weapons and gunners often need to help their crew mates keep the ship repaired and aloft. Know your role and prioritize your duties!
It is better to take an undesirable loadout and suggest changes than refuse a captain's orders. A poorly-equipped but cooperative ship will always outperform a well-equipped but dysfunctional ship.
Know which helm tools damage which components. If you bring three tools that damage the engines, you should see to it that you don't use all three frequently. Even the best engineer has limits!
As a pilot at the helm, you can aim at an enemy ship and press B (by default) to mark an enemy ship with a temporary crosshair visible to you and your crew.
Burst ammunition only affects the area of effect (AoE) of weapons which already have an AoE characteristic. So don't bother using burst ammunition with gatling guns!
More damage per shot does not necessarily mean more damage overall. Consider your weapon's clip size and reload speed.
There is no ammunition that works well on every single gun. Check your ships weapons loadout to see if you are bringing a viable ammunition. Captains may suggest a loadout for you to bring along.
Carrying the Dynabuff Industries Kit (commonly known as the buff kit) in your loadout will limit your ability to repair, rebuild, and extinguish components.
The mallet excels at repairing large amounts of damage to working components. The spanner excels at rebuilding destroyed components. The pipe wrench is average at both. Choose your tools carefully.
Failing to bring along a fire fighting tool can be catastrophic. Many weapons can ignite fires on your ship that will continue to inflict component damage until extinguished.
Utilizing voice chat is often quicker and more informative than trying to communicate through typing while in a match. If you have a microphone, use it!
Pressing X (by default) will broadcast your voice to everybody in the lobby and to your crew in a match.
Pressing C (by default) will broadcast your voice to your team in the lobby and, if you are your ship's captain, to your fellow team captains in a match.
Stay near your allied vessels if possible; most lone ships cannot survive for long when facing an enemy onslaught from multiple ships. Press M (by default) to examine the tactical situation on the map.
Be careful when utilizing hydrogen to vertically maneuver your ship; the effect on your balloon continues for a few seconds after you deactivate it!
You can push your ship to its physical limits by activating your pilot stamina (Left Shift by default) while using helm tools. Remember that stamina is limited; use it wisely!
If you want your crew members to do something, tell them.
The most basic tool set carried by an engineer consists of the rubber mallet, the spanner, and the fire extinguisher. These tools are nothing fancy, but they will keep you floating!
You will almost never need two fire tools.
Using a rubber mallet or a spanner in combination with a pipe wrench is generally ineffective. The mallet and spanner go very well together!
When your ship spawns, the Dynabuff Industries Kit should first be used on the ship's engines and balloon. Pilots value the extra speed and maneuverability provided by buffed balloons and engines
When asked to “prebuff” a component, purposely leave a component's buff meter nearly full but incomplete. Finish completely filling the buff meter later to activate the buff when it will be of use!
When your ship first spawns, use the Dynabuff Industries Kit on maneuvering components like the balloon and engines, then “prebuff” the entire ship if you have time before entering combat.
Weapons buffs only last for a few seconds; don't activate the buff until you're ready to fire!
Study the pros and cons of each ammunition type; if you don't understand which ammo type should be used in a certain gun, ask your captain and crew for advice and pass that knowledge to others players!
Large hit markers mean your shots are hitting the enemy and doing effective damage. Small hit markers mean your shots are hitting the enemy but are ineffective; aim elsewhere!
Many ammunition types alter the effective range of your weapons. Some ammo types allow you to hit targets which are farther away, while others shorten your range. Use the right ammo at the right range!
Each square on the map's grid has a length and width of 500 meters. Press M (by default) to examine the terrain and plan your strategy based on the range of your guns, available cover, and line of sight.
Your ship is affected by inertia when maneuvering. A taste of moonshine can thrust your ship forward and steady its course. A puff of hydrogen can rapidly send you into the clouds. Physics are important!
Use your pilot stamina at the helm to supplement the helm tools you've brought with you; stamina can intensify the effects of some tools, but it cannot produce all of their effects or replace them entirely.
Mines and tar barrels do not distinguish between friend and foe; they even damage your own ship and are the only sources of “friendly fire” in the game. Be careful with them, or you might cause a mutiny!
Your vessel will turn to the left and right faster if it is moving slowly. Lower your throttle or throw it into neutral to execute quick and precise maneuvers.
Weapon projectiles are affected by your ship's movement. Moving frequently or erratically will likely result in decreased weapon accuracy. This especially affects long-range weapons. Smooth sailing!
If you must retreat, think twice before turning around and flying away. Exposing your rear to enemy fire might result in engine damage. Consider throttling away in reverse with your weapons pointed at the enemy.
Keep the crew informed of the enemy's position by using voice communication, voice commands, text chat, or applying a captain's cross hair to an enemy vessel by targeting the ship and pressing B (by default).
Assign specific duties to each crew mate while preparing for battle in the lobby. All ship mates should know which components to repair, which guns to fire, and where on the ship they are stationed.
Most ships allow the pilot to help with repairs, and some ships even afford the captain the opportunity to man the guns! Bring an appropriate tool and ammunition type, even if you'll mostly be at the helm!
The crew's duty is to spot the enemy and the captain's job is to maneuver the ship into position. The spyglass and rangefinder should be carried by the crew; the captain needs all the helm tools he can muster!
Do not use helm tools if a damaged component is about to break; instead, deactivate the tool and allow your crew to make the necessary repairs.
If a crew mate does not respond to your voice, try typing. Some players do not pay attention to the game's audio.
If the other team in the lobby is comprised of high level players, ask for a ship swap to balance the match. A blowout victory for one team is a crushing defeat for the other and might break up the lobby.
A silly weapons loadout on your ship might be fun for you but is likely to aggravate your crew, allies, and even the enemy, who might have your ship on their team next round!
To become a great pilot, you must understand what your crew goes through every match and requires from you, their captain. This is best accomplished by gaining experience engineering and gunning.
Clouds, fog, and sandstorms provide concealment from other vessels unless a flare illuminates the area. Firing the flare gun might reveal the enemy's position, but they might see your silhouette as well!
Each weapon can aim vertically and horizontally to varying degrees and turns at a certain speed. Equip your ship with guns that have overlapping firing arcs to maximize your firepower.
Terrain doesn't take sides; colliding with a cliffside will damage your vessel, but smashing an enemy ship into a mountain will damage them as well. Know when to ram and when to exercise restraint!
Altitude doesn't always give your ship the advantage; some ships may still outmaneuver you and some weapons have difficulty aiming downward.
Gravity can be your ally or your enemy; popping an enemy balloon with the carronade or destroying it with flames can send their ship crashing to the earth, but know they will be doing the same to you!
Some weapons excel at damaging enemy guns and engines. Disabling an enemy means you can spend more time firing at the enemy and less time repairing. Your engineers will be grateful.
Heatsink ammunition can serve as a gunner's fire extinguisher to combat flames and prevent additional fires from affecting weapons loaded with these special rounds. Engineers will thank you!
Flare guns are a support weapon, but they also deal a moderate amount of fire damage to enemy ships.

Sorry it isn't pretty.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2016, 04:52:56 am by Atruejedi »

Offline Solidusbucket

• Salutes: 93
    • [SkBo]
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 10, 2016, 06:55:21 am »
*skips all but his own contribution*

Looks nice. Great edits.

Offline C r o w

• Salutes: 15
    • [Lock]
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 10, 2016, 06:58:23 am »
*skips all but his own contribution*

Looks nice. Great edits.

I can relate

Offline Kamoba

• Salutes: 175
    • [♫]
    • View Profile
    • Robin and Magpie Leather
« Reply #27 on: March 10, 2016, 09:17:56 am »
One I would change would be:
Some ships allow the pilot to help repair or shoot so the pilots loadout is important too.

Or something to that effrect, I say Some instead of most as new players often struggle with priorities and saying most ships could lead to them not piloting enough, that's all :)

Offline Newbluud

• Salutes: 24
    • [T.Pr]
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 10, 2016, 12:24:30 pm »
- Moonshine and Kerosine do more than increase the ship's speed and acceleration. They also make it harder to turn. Burning either of these tools while trying to change trajectory is not advised, however, this difficulty in turning can be used as your ship is rammed to prevent your guns being barged out of arc.
- Engaging a ship from an angle they cannot fire from is always favourable to risking damage and disadvantage by attacking without thinking.
- You do not have to zoom in with the spyglass to spot a ship. Simply place your crosshair on the enemy ship and left click.
- Spots are vital for exploiting an enemy's position and gun arcs. Prioritise spots on visible ships as often as possible.

Offline BlackenedPies

• Salutes: 134
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 10, 2016, 12:27:06 pm »
Spot before you shoot