Author Topic: Tip Box  (Read 12481 times)

Offline Newbluud

• Salutes: 24
    • [T.Pr]
    • View Profile
Tip Box
« on: March 03, 2016, 01:59:06 pm »
With the amount of complaining people do about players not knowing some very basic stuff, I have to ask why these things are not in the tip box?

What we have there currently is a small handful of very basic tips and a bunch of """"""funny"""""" little jokes that were charming for all of two days before I started feeling that they left the tip box completely wasted. Why have it in the first place when it is full of irrelevant stuff? And wouldn't said stuff mean that anything actually beneficial there would be disregarded because people assume it's just full of fluff?

The tip box should be highlighted more, perhaps with loading screen tips as well, using relevant information that actually helps novices.

"Burst ammunition only effects the AoE of weapons with an AoE stat to begin with."
"More damage per shot does not necessarily mean more damage overall."
"Choosing buff hammer limits your ability to repair/rebuild components."
"No matter how good a crew member you are, things will break and you will need the equipment to deal with that."
"The rangefinder was a troll item added to the game to act as a handicap for players by taking away a coveted tool slot."
"Engineers are capable of gunning and gunners are capable of helping with repairs outside of the guns."
"Having more than one gunner on your ship gives you lots of ammunition choices, but there won't be enough guns to make use of all that ammo!"
"A gunner is not always needed on a ship. Some guns only need one ammunition type."
"Check the damage types on weapons before you equip them. Having a ship only able to do one thing may be a handicap to your team."
"Readying up first is not always a good thing. Most of the time, your enemy is planning and deciding loadouts carefully, while you are not doing your homework."
"There is no ammunition that works well on every single gun. Check the ship your pilot is flying to see if you are bringing the right ammunition Captains may suggest a loadout for you to use."
"Mallet is very strong at repairing undestroyed components, spanner is very strong at rebuilding destroyed components and the pipe wrench is average at both. When choosing three tools, think carefully about what you can contribute to the crew."
"Not bringing a fire tool is often fatal. Many guns cause fires and some can stack a very large amount of fires very quickly."

Just a few suggestions off the top of my head. I'm sure we can come up with infinitely more.

Just to clarify, I have seen this thread before, but could not find it. I note that it no longer receives new posts, which irritates me because I see this as quite a prominent issue that was discussed and left unresolved. We know that new players find it so difficult to grasp simple concepts to us, and the tip box might prevent us having to teach the same lessons over and over again. In its current state, all I see is a waste of screen space during matchmaker waits.

Offline Hunter.

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 23
    • [T.Pr]
    • View Profile
    • My Hummingbird (Anime Website)
Re: Tip Box
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2016, 02:32:42 pm »
Seconded. The charming meme tips were good for a short while.

It's all fun and games until nobody brings a fire tool..  :'(

Offline Kingsania

• Salutes: 2
    • [ALTO]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2016, 05:36:31 pm »
It's true that the tip box doesn't really give out good tips. However, I enjoy the mood that it encourages and wouldn't want to see that go away. Some tips are amusing, some tips give background world information that's interesting, basically it's inviting me to take an interest in the game.

What I would suggest having two separate tip boxes, one for new players and one for people who don't want actual tips. Start out the new players with the actual tip box. I'd go even further and have this tip box give out only tips related to the player's selected class. When the new player reaches some sort of level that officially makes him not a newbie anymore (let's go with 10 so we have something to work with) Then the tip box shows another suggestion regardless of the class the player's in. If you're tired of being taught how to play, you can go into settings to change this tip box into an unhelpful tip box.

This wouldn't change the tip box I'm used to and it'd help new players.

Offline Newbluud

• [T.Pr]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2016, 05:47:15 pm »
It's true that the tip box doesn't really give out good tips. However, I enjoy the mood that it encourages and wouldn't want to see that go away. Some tips are amusing, some tips give background world information that's interesting, basically it's inviting me to take an interest in the game.

What I would suggest having two separate tip boxes, one for new players and one for people who don't want actual tips. Start out the new players with the actual tip box. I'd go even further and have this tip box give out only tips related to the player's selected class. When the new player reaches some sort of level that officially makes him not a newbie anymore (let's go with 10 so we have something to work with) Then the tip box shows another suggestion regardless of the class the player's in. If you're tired of being taught how to play, you can go into settings to change this tip box into an unhelpful tip box.

Interesting ideas, but making any form of tutorial non-mandatory would mean that newbie players would switch it off (in most cases) as soon as they know that's a possibility. I mean, hell, "unhelpful tip box" piques the curiosity.

The thing is with the Tip Box with 'tude is it is really a waste. I've seen every tip so far so the humour is now gone, it's temporary, and now I just feel bitter that it could be so much more useful. Perhaps helpful advice could be overlaid with the same sort of tone the tip box currently has, or the ratio of dumb stuff to useful stuff shifts massively, to make it mostly useful with the occasional little joke thrown in there to encourage that mood you're talking about.

The hefty sixty-second load in would benefit hugely from the tip box.

Oh, and 10 is too low in my opinion. I can still see people with levels past 20 that take ridiculous ammunition/tool choices for the ship they are on. The problem with these people isn't that I want them to play the game my way, it's that they are nerfing themselves and their team by doing so.

What would bring more enjoyment to player; random, unrelated jokes about dirty keyboards and moonshine being toxic to drink, or players being given advice that actually helps them not lose all the time, spend years repairing with spanner/rebuilding with mallet, feel like some guns in the game have no effect because their ammunition/target choice hugely hampers the damage output, etc.?

The fact is, if players know more about the games mechanics and how to use them to their own ends, they are going to be a benefit for their team as well as find more enjoyment from seeing their input making a difference. A brief chuckle at some asinine joke with no relevance to game play whatsoever can't remotely contest to increased enjoyment from the actual game itself.

Offline Atruejedi

• Salutes: 64
    • [❤❤❤]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2016, 06:19:50 pm »
This is another incredibly easy change Muse could make... which, sadly, makes me doubt they'll do it anytime soon. I'm very disillusioned right now when it comes to their priorities (aka Alliance and that's it). :-\

Two tip boxes? To be frank... that's stupid. If you're a veteran and you're bothered by reading tool-tips... just don't read them. Jeepers.

Interesting ideas, but making any form of tutorial non-mandatory would mean that newbie players would switch it off (in most cases) as soon as they know that's a possibility. I mean, hell, "unhelpful tip box" piques the curiosity.

The thing is with the Tip Box with 'tude is it is really a waste. I've seen every tip so far so the humour is now gone, it's temporary, and now I just feel bitter that it could be so much more useful. Perhaps helpful advice could be overlaid with the same sort of tone the tip box currently has, or the ratio of dumb stuff to useful stuff shifts massively, to make it mostly useful with the occasional little joke thrown in there to encourage that mood you're talking about.

The hefty sixty-second load in would benefit hugely from the tip box.

YES! MUSE! PLEASE! Tool-tips during load! Why not!? So many other games do this!

I really like the initial list posted (with a couple minor grammar related nit-picks). We should pool together, curate a list, and send it to Muse.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2016, 06:22:25 pm by Atruejedi »

Offline Daft Loon

• Salutes: 47
    • [◕_◕]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2016, 07:11:53 pm »
Adding more actual tips into the mix would help the jokes not get old as fast. Something like 1/3 jokes, 1/3 humourously framed tips, 1/3 plain tips would be good.

Offline OverlordEgg

• [◕_◕]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2016, 08:38:17 pm »
Adding more actual tips into the mix would help the jokes not get old as fast. Something like 1/3 jokes, 1/3 humourously framed tips, 1/3 plain tips would be good.

I like this thought. We could maybe even dedicate a whole thread to player-suggested tips, and maybe if we pray really hard and the planets align, someone from Muse will see it and add it to their list of "things to maybe do."

Offline Arturo Sanchez

• Salutes: 119
    • [AI]
    • View Profile
    • My spaghetti channel
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2016, 09:59:02 pm »
old...

already suggested the correct ratio of 80:20 of facts:funnies

If they haven't changed it after 6 months... well then... what good do you think this is?

Offline Newbluud

• [T.Pr]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2016, 10:23:33 pm »
old...

already suggested the correct ratio of 80:20 of facts:funnies

If they haven't changed it after 6 months... well then... what good do you think this is?
"It wasn't fixed after one thread therefore we must give up on this change forever and instead bitch at anyone who still thinks it is a relevant talking point."

I only ever see you post on threads in an attempt to shut them down. Why do you do this? What's the point? What good do you think this is?

I'll be emailing Muse about this. I'd advise others to do the same. The thing is, they changed the tip box from sparse but reasonably relevant information to complete hogwash 99% of the time. With that, we know they are capable of altering it. Never stop making noise if something bugs you. Only when you give up do you lose the right to complain about the state of things.

Offline GeoRmr

• Salutes: 178
    • [Rydr]
    • View Profile
    • Storm Ryders
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2016, 10:32:52 pm »

Offline Atruejedi

• Salutes: 64
    • [❤❤❤]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2016, 10:37:18 pm »
I'll be emailing Muse about this. I'd advise others to do the same. The thing is, they changed the tip box from sparse but reasonably relevant information to complete hogwash 99% of the time. With that, we know they are capable of altering it. Never stop making noise if something bugs you. Only when you give up do you lose the right to complain about the state of things.

Count me in! Let's curate a list! I will never stop complaining! EVER! I want to make this game BETTER!

Offline OverlordEgg

• [◕_◕]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2016, 11:42:24 pm »

Count me in! Let's curate a list! I will never stop complaining! EVER! I want to make this game BETTER!

Screw it, email sent. May not end in anything, but it's better than doing nothing.

Offline GeoRmr

• Salutes: 178
    • [Rydr]
    • View Profile
    • Storm Ryders
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2016, 09:27:59 am »
was 'press M to look at the map' on the list?

Offline DJ Logicalia

• Salutes: 191
    • [♫]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2016, 09:56:43 am »
There's a map?

Offline Chang'e

• Salutes: 0
    • [❤❤❤❤]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2016, 12:01:02 pm »
Add "Remember to turn off pilot tools," "Don't try to 1v2," and "Ramming the Galleon is rarely a good idea"