Author Topic: Pilot tool-Decoy  (Read 5576 times)

Offline Arturo Sanchez

• Salutes: 119
    • [AI]
    • View Profile
    • My spaghetti channel
Pilot tool-Decoy
« on: February 29, 2016, 11:24:45 am »
Use this tool to instantly create  a fake spot that shows on the compass and map and in-game shows up as a spotted square with your ship's name.

Hence if you use it out in the open. The enemy will see an enemy spot that marks thin air (or in the form of a beacon/flare or even just the targets used in practice mode so muse won't need to create new assets).

I did consider it but no, it will not instantly shake spots replacing your ship. Considering that it should slowly deplete pilot stamina to show its tool use so its not spammable.

Offline Solidusbucket

• Salutes: 93
    • [SkBo]
    • View Profile
Re: Pilot tool-Decoy
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2016, 02:44:01 pm »
Force a spot? I dont like it. Thats not a decoy thats just forcing something on the other team's screen that no one is responsible for 

I like the idea of an actual decoy though. Im thinking a flare with a random ship's silhouette.

Use tool inside cloud. A flare is magically deployed that does not silhouette real ships but instead creates a silhouette of a random ship.

Now the crews fight against two types of trickery: who flared/is ship X even in this game.

Offline Arturo Sanchez

• [AI]
    • View Profile
    • My spaghetti channel
« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2016, 04:13:18 pm »
Force a spot? I dont like it. Thats not a decoy thats just forcing something on the other team's screen that no one is responsible for 

I like the idea of an actual decoy though. Im thinking a flare with a random ship's silhouette.

Use tool inside cloud. A flare is magically deployed that does not silhouette real ships but instead creates a silhouette of a random ship.

Now the crews fight against two types of trickery: who flared/is ship X even in this game.

Yeah as if anyone would fall for that.

Offline Solidusbucket

• Salutes: 93
    • [SkBo]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2016, 04:44:04 pm »
Newer players would. Regulars not paying attention to lobby would.

Regardless of falling for it, it is still a decoy. It is still something that could be used to establlish a tactical situation.

Offline The Djinn

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 19
    • [CA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2016, 05:19:11 pm »

Regardless of falling for it, it is still a decoy. It is still something that could be used to establlish a tactical situation.

Something that preys on new players and inattention seems like a poor design.

A decoy that places an object that fires towards spotted enemy ships might be interesting though: something you might use to retreat into a cloud and place, leaving dummy fire to convince your opponents you're somewhere you're not.

Offline Arturo Sanchez

• [AI]
    • View Profile
    • My spaghetti channel
« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2016, 07:49:42 pm »

Something that preys on new players and inattention seems like a poor design.

A decoy that places an object that fires towards spotted enemy ships might be interesting though: something you might use to retreat into a cloud and place, leaving dummy fire to convince your opponents you're somewhere you're not.

You gotta think about how that kind of stuff needs to be coded.

What I got in mind is fairly simple to implement. It creates a stationary asset using lines of code that already exist in the game to create an effect that already exists in the game as well.

On the email I also detailed a 30 second cool down after the Target named your ship is destroyed either via self destruct upon the pilot running out of stamina (as thats how its defined by how long it lasts) or is destroyed by enemy ships.

All of these systems uses already existing stuff in the game. Plus its really well balanced to trick players, but its not in such a way that its unfair. I mean the person deploying the decoy loses the ability to use other tools and is forced to limit stamina use to take full advantage.

That being should it actually be coded like a normal tool where upon using it and switching tools destroys the decoy. Or should it act like tar where it must be selected and then activated via the use pilot tool button.

Should there even be a manual cancel for such a tool use at all. Or should it be locked upon use until the decoy is destroyed.